Alternatives to onboard ARB air compressors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aside from bottles and ARB compressors, what are other options you’re using?

Viair and Puma are popular options. If you really want to go nuts, a York compressor is the bees knees.

I second the Puma. For under $250 your able to pump a 37 from 15 to 35 in a bit over 2.5 minutes. We run a fleet full of them and no failures yet.

Basically:

- 12V compressors (lots of brands/models out there), what I've used for ever.
- Compressed air (bottle or big tank), not tried.
- Engine driven compressor (re-purposed AC unit), mate has one, neat, but you need the place for it in the engine bay.
- Foot pump :) , fond (ha) memories of using them on cars many many moons ago.

cheers,
george.

Reactions: RFB
I guess I could add, that I use a ARB twin, and it is the absolute s***. My buddy uses CO2 and he maybe beats me by 10 seconds/tire.

I run an air zenith OB2. I have to inflate 42s with it and it runs full bore through a manifold like a champ. It's not going to compete with a York but it's a bit of a more serious upgrade from the dinky 12v units.

::Welcome to Air Zenith::

Exactly. Although I have an SC so it’s Viair and CO2 bottles for me :p
I've been meaning to ask you. What viair do you like best. I'm also thinking about picking up a 400p. I'm thinking of picking up the "all in one solution" with the tank off your site. I need to fill up 35s and run air tools on rare occasions ( this would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary). I suppose the real question is what does Joey aka "OBA guru" recommend?

Last edited:
Currently using a Puma. Works great, fills tires fast, can run tools in a pinch, and cheap, but takes up a lot of space. Space is the only reason I would consider an ARB over a Puma. York is the big daddy of them all.

Once you go York you never go back.
On my 91 with ARB lockers, I had a seperate regulator off the tank that fed the solenoids.
On my LX450 I use it to inflate tires and run air tools when needed.
Endless supply of hot air, just like me.

To me, nothing beats a York.

No question about it. I've run one on my 1/2 cab Bronco for over 20 years and its still going strong. But I use that vehicle for ranch chores where I might need to run an impact or other air tool in remote areas.

I have held off putting one on my cruiser because I really only need enough on-board air to fill tires and its just not worth the effort. A puma handles that just fine.

I have 2-3 york units sitting my shop right now. They definitely put out some air.

Last edited:
Outback Extreme Magnum here. Weather proof and ok to submerge briefly which means you can mount it under the vehicle where it’s not taking up valuable cargo space.

The Magnum model draws 90 amps for 1.5hp of 100% duty cycle. It takes a 37 from 10 to 30psi in just over 2 minutes.

Don't know why people are adverse to the Warn Compressor winch. I've had mine for 10 years.
Works fantastic, fills tires fast enough. I can't even believe I see someone worried about 10 secs difference
to fill a tire. It ain't nascar. I use a stopwatch and it is so consistent that if it's 35 sec to fill the first tire, I can
go 35 secs for the other 3 and they will all have exactly the same tire pressure.

Outback Extreme Magnum here. Weather proof and ok to submerge briefly which means you can mount it under the vehicle where it’s not taking up valuable cargo space.

The Magnum model draws 90 amps for 1.5hp of 100% duty cycle. It takes a 37 from 10 to 30psi in just over 2 minutes.

This intrigues me. Just looked up the price, ouch! But under the truck sounds great.

8860E1D2-1AEF-497B-84BC-228E2A587574.jpeg
3C49E74D-8506-4844-A03F-991AB202B8B3.jpeg
This intrigues me. Just looked up the price, ouch! But under the truck sounds great.
I keep a rubber “cork” in the inlet of the air filter canister until time of use. The feed line is air brake hose routed to te front bumper. You can order a kit that come complete with everything needed to install or, if you think you can save money by piecing together you own install kit, you can do that too.
The company is in Vacaville, CA about two miles from I lived until 6 months ago when I escaped CA. I went to the company owners facility a while back. He was friendly enough to spend an hour showing me around and demonstrating one of their portable units on my rig.

My current setup...
main-qimg-4d2f251e409ced62b120c91da682a45c-c.jpg

ARB twin mounted in my rar quarter via witsend insert along with my 1000watt inverotr pumps 37s from 10 to 35 in 3 minutes and takes up no space in truck. air tank under drivers rock rail.

I am cheap... I use a ryobi battery powered one. Was like 20 bucks at home depot. I have a collection of tools from them and plenty of batteries already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom