A beginners guide to buying a used GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all, just joined but I've been lurking for a little while. I just test drove a GX for the first time tonight - I see what you are on about - drives way nicer than my current ('06 Jeep Liberty (6MT) with mild lift) and the GX is two years more experienced! 2004, 81k miles and Pearl White seems pretty much loaded to the gills - Navi, ML, DVD with headsets in the back along with the third row.

I found the links to the Lexus Service History site and checked the VIN - full factory service from day 1 and it's a single owner. Some body issues that you'd expect for a family hauler - stone chips in the hood and some light rash on the sides of the rear bumper, but what caught my attention during my walk around was blue smoke on start up, TPMS and one of the airbag gaiters was riding way too high (compared to the driver side). I noticed that there are several references to the Valve Stem seals for the FJ80 cruisers for the blue smoke at startup - is this an issue for the GX? The service history has several visits with the owner bringing it in for the blue smoke, but there was never a remedy - owner started bringing it in at 56k (now has 81k). TPMS has been a recurring issues since 16k! These two issues cause me a bit of concern - price is compelling and their offer (verbal) for my trade in is pretty fair.

The underside of the GX is the cleanest I've ever seen for 13 years old very minimal surface rust - all the major suspension components look in good shape - no cracking in the rubber that I could see. Air bags filled quickly and held at high with no signs of issues (other than the gaiter described above). The truck is not perfect, but I've always felt that it's easier to take a tight line through the woods when there's already a few dings in the paint!

I think I've made up my mind that this is the next platform for me, just trying to figure out if this is the right one - I'd really appreciate any insight you guys can throw my way. Thanks in advance!

My 05 with 179k doesn't smoke at all - I'd probably steer clear from that one.

Shame - but that's the way I'm leaning. The truck drove very nicely on the test drive. Red flag was the guy being adamant that the blue smoke on start up was just something that Toyotas and Lexus' (Lexi - what is the plural?) do and that it wasn't burning oil... come on. Oh well, I didn't have any intention of buying that truck anyway; I hadn't had a chance to really crawl around in or drive one before. I'm hooked. There's others out there. Love this forum - hoping to add to it in the near future!

Shame - but that's the way I'm leaning. The truck drove very nicely on the test drive. Red flag was the guy being adamant that the blue smoke on start up was just something that Toyotas and Lexus' (Lexi - what is the plural?) do and that it wasn't burning oil... come on. Oh well, I didn't have any intention of buying that truck anyway; I hadn't had a chance to really crawl around in or drive one before. I'm hooked. There's others out there. Love this forum - hoping to add to it in the near future!

You'll likely find that the vast majority of them drive very nicely. Because Lexus. ;)

I'm new here and am looking to purchase a GX. I currently have a 2001 Tacoma DC that is great for me, but does not allow for the whole family (3 kids as of 1 month ago). I am looking specifically at a 2005 in Finksburg, MD which is nearly 200 mi from me. I would love to hear some opinions.

Apparently the TB service was done at 95k. If there is someone in the area that is willing to check it out and report, I'd be happy to provide refreshment $$$ as a thank you!

2005 Lexus GX 470 for sale in Finksburg MD from Patti O'Malley's

I'm new here and am looking to purchase a GX. I currently have a 2001 Tacoma DC that is great for me, but does not allow for the whole family (3 kids as of 1 month ago). I am looking specifically at a 2005 in Finksburg, MD which is nearly 200 mi from me. I would love to hear some opinions.

Apparently the TB service was done at 95k. If there is someone in the area that is willing to check it out and report, I'd be happy to provide refreshment $$$ as a thank you!

2005 Lexus GX 470 for sale in Finksburg MD from Patti O'Malley's
Mazel Tov!

Where do you intend to put the newborn's car seat and how do you and your other front seat driver like have your seatback. I'm only 5'8" but have long legs and the back of my driver's seat barely fits the way I like with our newborn's seat in the middle. He could ride on the wife's side but it's harder for her to tend to him if needed. These don't have the best middle row room.

I'm 6'1“ and our newborn seat fits behind the DS in my Tacoma so I would plan for the same here. We'll see I guess.
I know the copilot needs all the room she can get on longer trips.

FYI the car seat connections are a little funky on the GX unless you use the seat belt. There are three connection points on the seat backs but in the crack of the seats you can either clip in directly behind the PS seat or the other clip in is half and half between the middle and driver side.

Per Popular Mechanics:
I find it pretty Thorough

Attachments

• Used Car Checklist.pdf
    445.9 KB · Views: 414
The transmission may be called "sealed" but it has a drain and fill plug much like a manual transmission. My dealer suggested flushing mine at 100k and I did since I've done a little boat towing with it.

The transmission may be called "sealed" but it has a drain and fill plug much like a manual transmission. My dealer suggested flushing mine at 100k and I did since I've done a little boat towing with it.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer having a dipstick if no other reason than inspecting it during a purchase. Great parallel on the manual transmission though. I talked with my trans guy about it, no real issue or concern, but also no way to check level or condition easily.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer having a dipstick if no other reason than inspecting it during a purchase. Great parallel on the manual transmission though. I talked with my trans guy about it, no real issue or concern, but also no way to check level or condition easily.
I agree 100%. Toyota did the "sealed" transmission along with its garbage World Standard fluid so they could call it "lifetime" transmission fluid in order to skirt environmental regulations. I got swapped it for Valvoline Max Life in my Tacoma shortly after I bought it and I plan to do the same with my GX.

Great thread!

Looking at. GX as well.

Regarding Nav...
Is the main issue bc its outdated? Or does it fail? This will be for the W, and we're not concerned about changing out the factory stereo system.
Phone navigation is fine. I'm just concerned about the Nav unit failing and being able to control the heating & AC

Thanks

Great thread!

Looking at. GX as well.

Regarding Nav...
Is the main issue bc its outdated? Or does it fail? This will be for the W, and we're not concerned about changing out the factory stereo system.
Phone navigation is fine. I'm just concerned about the Nav unit failing and being able to control the heating & AC

Thanks

The main gripe is that it's outdated. I don't often see failures.

Chromies weren't OEM, it's a dealer thing, but yeah stay away from those.
Shocks are pretty notorious for leaks.
Secondary air injection pump (?) affected some year models.
Door checks pop pretty easy, listen for unusual noises when opening doors.
Transfer case output seal.

I definitely have the "unusual noise" when opening the driver's door - what's the fix? Have spent ZERO time diagnosing but resolving this would be sweeeeet. thx!

That's odd. I wouldn't expect wheel bearings to be covered under warranty (arguably a wear item), but hopefully they'll take care of it for you!
So, FWIW, I am able to confirm that the wheel bearing is indeed covered under the Lexus extended warranty. I had the GX in for an alignment last week and when I picked it up, the service manager told me they replaced a bearing. Turns out the wheel bearing that was replaced in January had already gone bad. The tech figured it was a faulty part. Hopefully he's right.

Hi all, just a few notes to add on some of these points. Have an '09 with ML/Nav and w/out KDSS as far as I can tell thus far but pretty sure.
Nav: it is basically useless at this point. But I'm thinking may make a good spot to mount an iPad mini or similar, with a way to slide it out of the way when I need screen access.
On the '09 bluetooth works for making/answer phone calls, but not streaming music that I know of. The aux input works fine for that.
HVAC controls are on the screen which I don't particularly like. All in all you are not missing much IMO w/out NAV/screen...though you can apparently play a DVD on the screen when parked, I'll have to try that

Re use as baby transport. We got the GX primarily for our growing family (CR-V too small) but also with a future camping/overland rig in mind. I think it will be a great ride to build into that machine over the years as the kids grow. Note that when your kids are real small and the car seats face backwards you may have some limited room to move the front seats back, but the'll be in front facing seats before you know.

Wanted to point out a big reason for Lexus for off road rigs is they are comfortable to sit in! My brother finally went to an LX on his 8th truck or so because out of Denver we also go 5-6 hours just to get to where we are going to start getting off road. If you are more into overlanding with some longer routes in mind (think 20, 30 hours or more one way) that's a lot of driving and a comfy seat is nice!

Hello guys, lurker popping up here. Sorry to that guy, but would really love some opinions/gx owner advice. I've been looking GX470 ideally around $10k for a while now. The ones I've been looking at have been around 10-15k with around 160k on them. The few I've looked at haven't had maintenance records with documents on timing belts and been in ok condition. An 06 for significantly less has popped up that seems to have been really well maintained, timing belt done at 185k, 06, w/KDSS, kicker is it has 220k on it. I'm really interested in it but have generally been scared of cars with this high of miles. I plan on keeping this for 60-100k more miles. I've heard the motor/transmission are pretty bullet proof but will everything else be sh**ing the bed? Thoughts please.

Thank you,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom