A beginners guide to buying a used GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the last few weeks I have been tirelessly searching for useful information on my new to me 03' GX470. There is a decent amount out there but it is in a million places and sometimes hard to find. So I'm going to deposit here what I've collected, links and some basic info to help new or prospective GX owners. Some help or suggestions / corrections would be appreciated.

Terms:

KDSS = Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System aka computer controlled hydraulically adjusted sway bars.

AHC = Adjustable Height Control aka adjustable rear air bags.

ATRAC = Traction Control

VSC = Vehicle Stability Control

DAC = Downhill Assist Control

Adaptive Variable Suspension = (Formerly known as TEMS) it consist of electronically adjusted shock damping.

J120 or 120 platform = The Toyota chassis designation for the GX and Prado.

Common issues / Fixes:

Rear Air Bag Failure / coil conversion:

Window switch programming:

CV Boot replacement:

Locker options / install:

Coil over / shock options / install:

Upper Control arm options / Install:

Bumper options / Install:

Slider options / install:

Wheel/Tire size guide:

Storage options:

Dual Battery options / install

Last edited:
This could be a great resource!

TSB for rear driveshaft clunk: ?

Warranty Enhancement for cracked/melting dash: (I can get details if you need it)

I'll look up the tsb for the clunk.

If you have the dash info post it up please.

Common issues should include seized front brake calipers, and peeling chrome finish on OEM wheels.

Chromies weren't OEM, it's a dealer thing, but yeah stay away from those.
Shocks are pretty notorious for leaks.
Secondary air injection pump (?) affected some year models.
Door checks pop pretty easy, listen for unusual noises when opening doors.
Transfer case output seal.

Other (relatively) common issues:

Seeping radiators.
Even the painted rims have had problems with corrosion in some climates.
UV rays causing headlight plastic to turn opaque.
Of course, the rear air suspension going kaput.
Gas cap seal getting loose.

I had to replace the gas cap on mine right after I bought it - it failed on the drive back from Albuquerque to Phoenix. ~$25 Toyota part.

I hadn't heard of front brake caliper problems before- is that really common? I could see it with single or dual piston calipers with (inadequately lubricated) slide pins, but IIRC these are four piston with no slide pins.

My (inside) handle on the rear door broke the other day under minimal force- unsure if that's common, but I need a new one now.

(1) A/C is weak in hot climates. There is a TSB about it for 2003-2004, not sure if later years improved A/C.

Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Summary: AIR CONDITIONING (A/C) PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT. EXPERIENCING LOW COOLING EFFECT FROM THE A/C SYSTEM WHEN DRIVING IN HIGH TEMPERATURE AREAS. 2004 GX470 ALSO INCLUDED.

(2) Ignition switch wears out and will eventually lock in place. The pins inside the lock cylinder wear out over time. You can either replace the lock cylinder or remove the worn pins, but it must be done before it's completely locked up because you need to turn the key to ACC to remove the lock cylinder.

(3) Transfer case actuator leak is common.

(4) My inside rear door handle also broke off. There is no part number for it.

Trying to figure out if I want to buy one with factory NAV or not... what's the deal with the factory NAV and the AC controls? I want to upgrade to a nice after market double din, but don't want to lose an AC controls... how does this work?

how does this work?
The short answer is: it doesn't work.

As far as I can tell from having looked at them, the nav and HVAC is all one unit. Others will correct me if I am wrong. I don't have Nav and am glad to not have it just because I hate those things. If you're shopping for a GX and planning on putting an aftermarket HU in anyway, just avoid the GXs with Nav all together.

Trying to figure out if I want to buy one with factory NAV or not... what's the deal with the factory NAV and the AC controls? I want to upgrade to a nice after market double din, but don't want to lose an AC controls... how does this work?

By far the easiest solution if you want an aftermarket deck, is to avoid the factory nav system. It's outdated and crappy anyways.

I ordered a non-nav hvac control head to try and remove my factory nav but I won't be able to get back to that project till after the overland expo

I ordered a non-nav hvac control head to try and remove my factory nav but I won't be able to get back to that project till after the overland expo

Has anyone done this yet? I've never heard if it's a plug and play retrofit, with it being Toyota I'd like to think it would be that easy. Interested in your results.

I contacted my local stereo shop and they told me that they pull the HVAC circuit board out of the factory nav unit and reinstall it back into the truck, giving you your factory HVAC controls and the ability to install an aftermarket head unit. They have to do the same with a number of Lexus models, said its no big deal, just a little extra work.

I contacted my local stereo shop and they told me that they pull the HVAC circuit board out of the factory nav unit and reinstall it back into the truck, giving you your factory HVAC controls and the ability to install an aftermarket head unit. They have to do the same with a number of Lexus models, said its no big deal, just a little extra work.
Oh really...that's good to know!

If you go ahead with this, be sure to post some pics of the finished product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom