Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20200321210525-7df579f8-me.jpg

Chassis free without incident.. was hard work though.. now have a leaf sprung 80..
20200321210533-5b0ff545-me.jpg

Another piece of the puzzle done.. boost compensated 15B-F pump.. this cost more than the purchase price of the FJ55 or the FZJ80.
i.php

Things have stalled a little with me while I've been working through some details with the local vehicle standards department in our state government and I finally have a plan of attack on this build with a high rate of success when its complete, the downside is i'll have to transport the vehicle 2000kms away to get inspected, engineered and registered in another state. This will be costly but will be my best chance for getting it working vehicle out at the end.

I've talked to local engineers and with all the modifications I want to do will incur beam and torsion tests on the chassis and body as well as ensuring my 1979 FJ55 body is compliant with our Australia Design Rules that apply to vehicles build in 1994 (due to that being the year of the chassis).. The unknown of having to run through the testing vs having application design data (and therefore not requiring testing) is whats pushing me in that direction.

At least now I can crack on with the build with confidence...

So when is this gonna happen?
Gonna try and keep on my original schedule but not bust a nut to do it.. it probly wont be done by august but will be done by end of the year

Last edited:
So where are you getting the vehicle registered? I'm also thinking of a 55 on shortened 80 frame ( maybe with 80 floorpan) in Qld. Curious to see how you go.

Keep up the good work, its both inspiring and scary to see what might lay ahead.

So where are you getting the vehicle registered? I'm also thinking of a 55 on shortened 80 frame ( maybe with 80 floorpan) in Qld. Curious to see how you go.

Keep up the good work, its both inspiring and scary to see what might lay ahead.

It will be engineered and registered in Queensland initially. This will allow for a smoother re-registration process in tasmania as the modifications have been recognized and approved by a state body already.

It will be engineered and registered in Queensland initially. This will allow for a smoother re-registration process in tasmania as the modifications have been recognized and approved by a state body already.

You should talk to Billy McKinnon and find out which engineer they used for Steve's MWB project.

You should talk to Billy McKinnon and find out which engineer they used for Steve's MWB project.
Way ahead of ya there buddy.. already working with an engineer in qld happy to take on my project.

Cool, if you get stuck I have the name of the engineer we are using for Dads 45/80 build, who I think has moved to Tassie, but still comes up to Bris.
He's pretty particular though.

-what was holding the body on that you couldn’t find?

-how would the government there know you did a body swap? It’s dumb they care. Is it a liability issue if you hit another car or something? What are they looking for?

Keep up the good fight!

-what was holding the body on that you couldn’t find?

-how would the government there know you did a body swap? It’s dumb they care. Is it a liability issue if you hit another car or something? What are they looking for?

Keep up the good fight!

I think it was the weight of all the doors, tailgate, interior and glass wasn't helping.. but using jacks and stands from underneath and everything came apart relatively easily.

Yes, it is a liability issue, not just if i stuff up and total, but if some other idiot does it to me.. that and the fact i'll be dailying this with my wife and 3 kids as much as possible means i'll need to have it all kosher incase someone does spot a mean 55 rolling on coils..

I got one led tail light replacement to mock/measure up the body work
20200411235917-83b68cd3-me.jpg

20200411235908-481b6700-me.jpg

And got the engine and trans out of the 80 frame..
20200411235853-e2bcc01f-me.jpg

That looks like a great replacement for the '78 & '79 tail light assemblies!

its not great, but its the closest off the shelf LED replacement i've found so far.. I want to recess the housing so its fairly flush and at the same time patch/remove the cut out for the factory lights..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom