'76 FJ40 Skinny Wallet RestoFresh (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lookin good man. I am seriously contemplating the rattle can as well. I have to put my hard top back together when I get back from this deployment, that will be my test-bed for the rattle can. Good luck man and hang in there, you will be driving her in no time! :steer:

James

Looks good, I did spray can bedliner in mine and rustoleum desert tan for the outside. For me it was an issue of budget and the fact that I knew I would bang it up on the trail and the flat tan is easy to touch up. One place I did spend some cash was buying the DUI distributor and wires. The performance was night and day. Solved alot of problems in one easy installation.

Lookin good man. I am seriously contemplating the rattle can as well. I have to put my hard top back together when I get back from this deployment, that will be my test-bed for the rattle can. Good luck man and hang in there, you will be driving her in no time! :steer:

James

James, if you're building a trail rig, I would recommend. Can't beat the price and you don't have to wait on paint.

Looks good, I did spray can bedliner in mine and rustoleum desert tan for the outside. For me it was an issue of budget and the fact that I knew I would bang it up on the trail and the flat tan is easy to touch up. One place I did spend some cash was buying the DUI distributor and wires. The performance was night and day. Solved alot of problems in one easy installation.

Scott, I hear you on budget driving the decision. Definitely made the wife and checkbook happy. I got my carb back from Mark and I'm waiting on the HEI from Man-a-Fre. I have to go to Utah for two weeks for work, so that will put me back a little :mad: Glad to hear you had sucess with the DUI - I'm hoping to have similar sucess with mine.

back in action...

ok, finally got back from Utah and got some more stuff done on the cruiser. i did some trading with a fellow mudder and got a warn winch bumper. painted it to match the frame:
IMG_20110430_125552.jpg
a neighbor does marine upholstery, so she put the seats covers on - turned out awesome! I like the old school look with no headrests, so I'm going to wait to put them on.
IMG_20110430_153621.jpg
I got the rear jump seats recovered too, but will probably go with a bench seat in the back for the kids. the HEI comes in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be cranking this thing next weekend!
IMG_20110430_125552.jpg
IMG_20110430_153621.jpg

Awesome job! Can't wait to see it finished! :clap:

You said you manhandled the body onto the frame without a hoist, by yourself?

Last edited:
Fun build. I'm glad to see that it can be done on a budget. Keep on truckin'.

on the road...

It's ALIVE!!! Took a while to fiddle with the MAF HEI distributor, but finally cranked! Oil pressure good. Temp great. A little oil leak at the distributor - might have to pull and add some sealant to the gasket. I had to drive it right away so I bled the brakes and clutch, hopped in, put it in gear...... wouldn't go! I immediately assumed the worst since I didn't replace clutch/TO bearing, etc. Regrouped and adjusted the cone nut at the clutch slave to provide more travel and viola!!! Tore around the neighborhood whooping and hollering! I still can't wipe the grin off my face! A lot of thanks to the great guys and gals on this forum for their expertise and support. :beer::beer::beer::

getting closer...

rebuilt calipers installed (old ones frozen beyond belief), fenders painted and installed and front/rear diff oil replaced. took it for another spin :steer:
IMG_20110515_185959.jpg
barn doors fit up and ready for prep/paint. jump seats are going to a fellow mudder for a bench seat. prolly going with stock roll bar for now. got to start saving coin for family cage ;)
IMG_20110515_184615.jpg
IMG_20110515_185959.jpg
IMG_20110515_184615.jpg

hah! i was 3 emoticons happy to drive it around. just wait, it's a great feeling to go from a pile of parts to driving around. wheels look like old american racing wheels - had to grind the new brake calipers a little to keep them from hitting. too cheap for new ones, so just going to paint them black. tires are 31x10.5 R15. get your project started and start posting some pics!

Awesome. This is a lot like how my project will go. I cant wait to start it this weekend.

How excited were you the first time you drove it around the neighborhood again?!

What size tires are those and what type?

My car is 60 miles away. I have 3-4 weekends alone coming up. I am probably going to order a half tub from IPOR and spray it myself. Right now there are no seats and a Tree stump for a driver seat. I have a Brand new Procar seat in my office. This is Dad's truck that I learned to drive a manual on 12 years ago. It has been sitting neglected for 10 years after a full tear down and paint back in 1996. I remember wondering why he wanted to fix up such a rusty thing....:hillbilly:

rear bench installed

got the CCOT rear bench/seatbelts and roll bar installed. the jump seats definitely looked better, but the bench seat will be much better for the kids. still need to get the front seatbelts mounted, refinish the barn doors, install the hood, headlights and tailights and then I'm ready for the road!
Bench Seat 2.jpg

Bench Seat 4.jpg
Bench Seat 2.jpg
Bench Seat 4.jpg

maybe people will stop calling this a Jeep now...
View attachment 526651

I wouldn't get my hopes up. It won't help. ;p Guy's in Jeeps tell me I "have a nice Jeep". Even when I had plates that said "8NOJEEP". I'm mean...It says Toyota on all four sides. :confused:

Nice work! Lookin' good! :cheers:

I think mine and yours are pretty close to finishing at the same time.... Nice work too.

Not happenin'

got front bib, lights and tailights installed/working. maybe people will stop calling this a Jeep now...

It just isn't gonna happen. No more than consumers are going to stop calling facial tissues "Kleenex." Jeep has become the generic term for off road vehicles. From CRV's to Samurai's I've heard them all called Jeeps. I still enjoy having fun with my friends and even my kids by pointing out that Jeep is a "four letter word."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom