'76 FJ40 Skinny Wallet RestoFresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got front bib, lights and tailights installed/working. maybe people will stop calling this a Jeep now...
View attachment 526651
Nope they will still call it a Jeep Despite the front and rear Toyota Emblems...Cheers and this has been a fun build to follow!!!;p

8NOJEEP

That's funny. My kids know not to call it a J**P too!
I've got most everything together. Still working on a few finish pieces and working the kinks out. Need to adjust valves, adjust rear drums, replace TRE's. Still looking for a solution to the oil leak that I have at the MAF HEI. But at least it's on the road. I technically drove it in May, so I reached my goal, but I'd like to have it in great running shape by the end of summer.
IMG_20110611_161217.jpg

IMG_20110611_161232.jpg
IMG_20110611_161217.jpg
IMG_20110611_161232.jpg

got the CCOT rear bench/seatbelts and roll bar installed. the jump seats definitely looked better, but the bench seat will be much better for the kids. still need to get the front seatbelts mounted, refinish the barn doors, install the hood, headlights and tailights and then I'm ready for the road!
View attachment 523731

View attachment 523732

How do you like that CCOT rear bench? Is it the Trailmax? I have fold-tumble rear bench that came with my rig, but it's exactly 33" wide. I'd like it to go all the way across the full 40-41" between my wheel wells. This works best for my THREE little kids' butts.. (8, 6, and 4 year olds). I took off the cover and cushion, and the frame looks pretty easy to cut in half and weld in 7" extensions. I have a bunch of auto upholstery shops near my work. What is marine upholstery? Waterproof? Just wondering... so I can ask and shop around for the right stuff.

If I cut my bench in half, maybe I'll do a thread about it.. especially since I'm just learning to weld.. pics of my jacked up welds should be pretty entertaining at least! :doh:

bench seat

yes, it's a trailmax seat from CCOT with their brackets, etc. it's a great seat, but 3 across would be tight. i have three kids as well, but only the oldest two ride in the 40. i'm sure somebody on the board has fit a family of 5 in a 40 - i'd like to see how they did it!

yes, it's a trailmax seat from CCOT with their brackets, etc. it's a great seat, but 3 across would be tight. i have three kids as well, but only the oldest two ride in the 40. i'm sure somebody on the board has fit a family of 5 in a 40 - i'd like to see how they did it!

There's a shop near me that does cargo van conversions. They sell BRAND NEW full rear bench for like $60, that will fit nicely on top of the wheel wells. I was thinking of this, but it wouldn't fold and tumble, and I was worried that the kids would be sitting up too high.

I'm going to chop up this Trailmax bench and see how it goes. FUN!

new shoes!

got new tires/wheels and windshield installed. windshield cost $67 for a local shop to cut - seemed like a great deal to me.
been driving it some more - steering is vague to say the least!

IMG_20110617_152343.jpg

IMG_20110617_152454.jpg
IMG_20110617_152343.jpg
IMG_20110617_152454.jpg

Great job! Just in time for summer fun with the kids. Enjoy!

got new tires/wheels and windshield installed. windshield cost $67 for a local shop to cut - seemed like a great deal to me.
been driving it some more - steering is vague to say the least!

The new wheels/tires look great! This thing has come a long way!

$67 for a windshield is a steal.

My steering is "vague" as well. I think most of my "slop" is in the center arm. I have owned a rebuild kit a couple years now but have been gathering parts to do a power steering conversion. I have the rebuild kit for the center arm, new TRE's, the minitruck gearbox, saginaw pump, and bill dory brackets but just have not been moved to tear it down just yet. It will happen in time.

Again, great job on your 40.

Just read this thread from post 1 to post 71....great inspiration and an awesome, cheap build.....LOVE it...it's mid July so here's to hoping you are driving it daily and your kids are enjoying educating their friends on LAND CRUISERS!!!! :D :beer::beer:

Just read this thread from post 1 to post 71....great inspiration and an awesome, cheap build.....LOVE it...it's mid July so here's to hoping you are driving it daily and your kids are enjoying educating their friends on LAND CRUISERS!!!! :D :beer::beer:

Thanks John. I hadn't posted for a while since my transfer case blew up ( https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/507788-cracked-t-case-fail.html ). Bodean was kind enough to ship me his old t-case and t-case saver since he upgraded to an Orion. I tried getting the old transfer out from under the vehicle, but I couldn't get it out that way (and if I had, there's no way I would have gotten it back on without buggering up the new gasket). So, I took out the freshly installed interior, gas tank and tranny hump. :doh:
IMG_20110813_150431.jpg
The donor case was from a '78, so most of the external parts swapped right over. The only real differences I saw were the additional reinforcing ribs stamped into the newer case (presumably to make it stronger?) and the front output shaft is fine spline on the newer cases and course on the older ones. After sourcing a newer output flange, I replaced all seals/gaskets for the transfer case. I did the same for the transmission since it was out.
IMG_20110813_150415.jpg
I used an engine hoist to support the tranny/transfer assembly. I fought with it the better part of an afternoon trying to get it to mate up the last 1/2" or so. I finally went and bought longer bolts to get it closer and then installed the stock bolts. What a pain.
IMG_20110828_075957.jpg
I'm happy to report that the 40 is driving better than ever. Maybe the best part is having a parking brake again. Now I don't need to carry wheel chocks with me! :cheers:
IMG_20110813_150431.jpg
IMG_20110813_150415.jpg
IMG_20110828_075957.jpg

Looks nice so far...

It's been a while since I've posted any updates, so here goes:

Finally got the rear drums working. All four cylinders and adjusters were frozen, so I pulled them all, polished up the pistons and put anti-seize on the adjuster threads - brakes work like a charm! I was considering rear discs, but free is better ;).

My starter was on the way out, so I replaced it with a GR starter from a local auto parts store. I'm very happy with the upgrade - much lighter, smaller and it was cheap to boot.

Got the running boards on. Was considering sliders, but those will have to wait for now.

Last but not least, I installed the Warn 8274 I just bought. It's by far the coolest thing on the cruiser, and it's kind of the icing on the cake for me. The wire rope is shot, so I'll be replacing with Amsteel courtesy of Southeast Overland.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the OCD canvas top - very happy with it, although I am one of the random lucky ones who got mine 2 months after paying...

And, since this thread is worthless without pics....

IMG_20110929_185804.jpg

IMG_20110929_185848.jpg
IMG_20110929_185804.jpg
IMG_20110929_185848.jpg

Looks pretty good. Read in a early post of yours that your doing it on the cheap. I am in the same boat as you were and am surprised how much a person can do with a small amount of cash. Most of the time it is cheaper to make than buy

looks great! sorry to here about your tcase problems im glad you get her running again!!! :beer:

Last edited:
Rear Heater

With the temperature finally starting to drop, I figured I'd recondition my rear heater. Took it apart and painted to match the rest of the interior. I was able to reuse most of the hard line - only had to replace a small crimped section with heater hose. Works great, although with the top down, it's not all that effective!
IMG_20111021_132732.jpg

IMG_20111021_160612.jpg

IMG_20111021_161008.jpg
IMG_20111021_132732.jpg
IMG_20111021_160612.jpg
IMG_20111021_161008.jpg

rear heater cont...

The heater is so close to the stock center console that the heater hose doesn't have a smooth transition. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance, just doesn't look right. Is that normal? Can you run a rear heater with a tuffy console?
IMG_20111021_160624.jpg
IMG_20111021_160624.jpg

I only had access to an old crappy picture of my rear heater. But, you can see how the core is oriented in the housing. If you can rotate yours slighlty, it should keep the hoses from kinking so much.
100_0775.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom