73 FJ40 Refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figures. I had no idea when I bought the 73 that it was such an odd duck. That reverse light is goofy looking but at least I have one. What does your vapor separator cover look like?

Figures. I had no idea when I bought the 73 that it was such an odd duck. That reverse light is goofy looking but at least I have one. What does your vapor separator cover look like?
1709858233295.png

1709858287119.png

Yup the '73 model year keeps giving. Lots of just one model year changes. Let me know if you need any other pictures. I'm confident that Louie is a pretty good example of a '73.

I went back and checked, there are two bolt tabs on each side. I updated the post again.
I agree. The heater in post 139 matches what mine looks like. It has the asymmetrical upper tab on the passenger side. Later models had symmetrical tabs.
1973 model year had a different part number:
1709861404093.png

Thanks for the feedback and pictures from everyone. My original vapor separator cover looked like the later large two piece one, but I was able to find the small one @FJ40Savvy shows. Another 1973 gem.

View attachment 3576621

What months are your two 73s? Will have to do an actual visual check but my 2/73 FST almost positive has the later two piece emissions tank/hoses cover. Can see the top of tank cover in this picture. It's the same color as the tub.
IMG_20200924_155232139.jpg

I bought bucket seats out of a 74 over forty years ago. I also bought the fuel tank cover thinking it would work on my 68. At the time didn't realize the 9/72-1/79 fuel tanks were smaller and cover is too small for the tank in the 68. That tank was light blue. Not sure it still Capri Blue in 74. I also picked up the two emissions covers which were blue as well. This is my 10/75 76 model.
IMG_20201021_121500017.jpg

The tank is tub colour there emission covers are Pewter. The previous emissions tank in the back of the passenger seat was pewter to match the seat frame. Wonder if the 73 model started off smaller and painted pewter?
Also on your 73s where does the lap belt for the jump seats anchor at the front? Pretty sure mine is on the front of the wheel well on the angle down.

My truck is a 10/72. It had a fuel tank cover when I got it but it originally had straps. I deleted that cover you show..

1/73. Small evil cover, straps for the fuel tank, no fuel tank cover.

My 2/73 fuel tank has straps, no cover. Which is correct for 73. But it has the later emissions covers which are painted body color. I have a 74 tank and emissions cover from 74. All those are body color. Had since the early eighties. Bought the 73 FST in 1994 as a project. It was actually offered to me at a price I couldn't pass up. It hadn't been registered since 1988 by the tag on the license plate. I had it for sale on Mud in 2007 with little interest .Just trying to out it that emission cover changed mid model year. I believe head rest were an option up to 1/76. After that they became standard with three point set belts. That is the reason why the 9/72-9/75 are so hard to find. The plugs used when headrest weren't installed even harder to find. My 73 had headret the 74 seats still had the plugs.

Louie is a 10/72 build. It seems that there are lots of unique '73 one model year items. I'm going to create a '73 reference thread.

I figured out my accessory drive belts. It took a few tries with different sizes. I replaced the fixed support from the alternator bracket to the OBA compressor with an adjustable tensioner. It is for a SBC alternator. I used some 3/8 x 5/16 bushings to fit the 8 mm bolts.

20240314_165513.jpg
20240314_173958.jpg

Last edited:
I have gotten a couple quotes locally to blast the LC tub, hood, doors, etc. running around $1000 to $1200. Does that sound about right? Seems high to me.

That's pretty good. I got out of blasting in 2018. I was in that range for whole cars. I would imagine material has gone up like everything else. What type of grit?

That's pretty good. I got out of blasting in 2018. I was in that range for whole cars. I would imagine material has gone up like everything else. What type of grit?
not sure what media, thanks for the reply, what should they use?

not sure what media, thanks for the reply, what should they use?
I really liked using crushed glass. 40/70 grit. I wouldn't do the dustless blasting either. Wet media tends to get jammed in the nooks and crannies and you will never get it all out. The glass gives a good surface for primer. After blasting go over the whole thing with 80 grit paper and its ready to go.

Cleaned up the 8274 a bit. I think I will be selling this and use a PTO winch.

View attachment 3587822

Haven't kept track are you still running a one piece transfer case. If you are you will need to just the sixteen spline PTO gear. If your running the split transfer case you will need a different PTO. Then there is the transfer case for a three speed used with a sixteen spline four speed you need the sixteen spline twenty-nine teeth input gear.

Assembled the parking brake with new cable, shoes and hardware.

View attachment 3587832

Is that a 3FE mass air flow sensor I see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom