73 FJ40 Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still going 4 speed. I tried to figure a way to keep the five speed. I can't figure an elegant way to address that tube crossmember and keep the OEM ebrake on the TC and keep it looking stock.

Rust, had a bunch of water in it.

That sucks. Was this a H42 you had? I bought a four speed years ago from a wrecking yard that had water in it. Luckily damage wasn't that bad. Drained water and filled with automatic transmission fluid. It was also transmission from a FJ25 which are.like hen's teeth to find.

Still going 4 speed. I tried to figure a way to keep the five speed. I can't figure an elegant way to address that tube crossmember and keep the OEM ebrake on the TC and keep it looking stock.

I know someone who used a 60 series rear axle and still kept hand brake handle under the dash. This was on a 72 FJ40.

Steve @Poser did a H55F conversion on a 79 using a disc hand brake. Did not modify the torque tube. Believe if search the facts sticky at top of the section the thread link is in there.

Started the big peel today. Looks like the rockers need replaced too. A good bit of pitting under the gas tank too.

20240303_154244.jpg

20240303_154302.jpg
20240303_154319.jpg
20240303_154330.jpg

Build is looking really nice and I like how clean your break lines came out but noticed you may have your shock washers installed inside out....at least on this shock. Contrary to intuition they should have the convex side facing the bushing.

Cheers!

View attachment 3573126
Really?
What is the rationale behind that?

Genuinely curious.

Curious. Why have washers that fit then? Why not just flat, fender style washers?

Great, one more thing to worry about 😉
Pardon the continuation here, but I need more evidence than a screenshot of one forum post.

When I redid my tundra’s suspension, guess which way the washers were facing? Stock all around and none were backwards as far as I remember.

While I am totally willing to be proven wrong, I’m seriously doubtful of your assertion.

Last edited:
The taper/bevel goes away from the shock bushing. The pic in post 125, the washers are backwards and not tight.

Duly noted. Thanks for the education.
So, in theory, on a 40 one could just have flat washers? Or, is the point of the concave to not have an edge and give somewhat of a ramp, as it were, for the bushings to move/flex?

The washers on both the 40 and 62 are a hodgepodge of PO randomness so I just put everything back together the way they were on there.

Back to the OP’s regularly scheduled programming…

I was test fitting the heater and found all the holes don't line up

20240307_173956.jpg

I have an earlier heater and it would not line up all 4 holes either

20240307_172639.jpg

same with the later heater I was using

20240307_173041.jpg

So are only three of the heater holes used?

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. I think I might need this one. Why would they change it up for just a year or so?

1709854705405.png

Thanks for the pictures. I think I might need this one. Why would they change it up for just a year or so?

View attachment 3576499
Yup the '73 model year keeps giving. Lots of just one model year changes. Let me know if you need any other pictures. I'm confident that Louie is a pretty good example of a '73.

I went back and checked, there are two bolt tabs on each side. I updated the post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom