33" vs 35" Tires Stock Gears FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks good. no need for me to go that big, I am actually thinking about getting the OME stock height suspension system which provides about .75 inches lift. Hoping I will have to do slim to no trimming for that setup...
Noticed you've got a '92 with the 3FE. You might not be happy with stock gears on 33s, on hills anyway. With what you've got planned you should have no problems with clearance. After running 35s occasionally for 2 years, I regeared my '94 with 1FZ with 5.29s and sure glad I did. I think it's even more pep than stock, now. Hills are not a major concern anymore. My rpm's are higher - 2600 @ 65 mph, but mileage has not suffered, I think because it's a happier engine and I don't have my right foot into it so much.

Ya, i am not thrilled with stock gears with my 31s. the 3fe is very sluggish and constantly downshifts to maintain momentum up hills. Maybe I should switch to 29s! Thanks 80t0ylc, sounds like I need to address gearing before any increase in tire size. Found a great thread on it:

Regearing questions? 3FE with 33's

if it just going to be a DD, keep it stock. the more you do to it the more that can go wrong. do you need 33s or 35s? other than to look cool sitting in a parking lot or at the stop light? bigger tires cause more fatigue and cost more per mile to drive. not just gas but they wear faster and when the time comes to replace they cost more...

Ya I just need more height. It is a daily driver, but I also like to play, I mean heck im a county boy now. As stated above, I would like to go with a stock height OME, and squeeze in 33s. I am not hardcore by any means, but do enjoy hunting, fishing, wheeling with the boys.

Can you provide specific examples of problems with changing the gear ratio on a 3fe?

Here's a pic of my FJ80 with 33s with stock suspension at the time with stock 4.10 gearing.
SMtbIMF.jpg

Here's a pic of my FJ80 with 33s with stock suspension at the time with stock 4.10 gearing.
SMtbIMF.jpg
Nice setup! What wheels do you have there? My stock rims are starting to look pretty bad and powder coating it costs as much as a new wheel set :(.

I am running 315s on an OME 2.5 lift. Stock gears. I live in the rockies in CO. ts not fast up hills but it does just fine. Considering the "pwr" button hack the guys mentioned earlier in the thread. See what happens there.

IMG_20201011_155450_496.jpg

IMG_20201121_174136_616.jpg

IMG_20201213_203311_816.jpg

I rolled Yokohama 315s (which are big 35”s). I lived at sea level and a flat area.

I appreciated the rubber O/D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom