2F Rebuild - First Timer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the timing cover has 3 or 4 different size and length of screws/ keep them oriented correctly. read JimCs thread on how not to restore the fj40- you will get all the details there- there are many nuances...best to do some reading

Thanks for the direction. Will read JimCs thread.

I plan on using my Haynes Manual as the ultimate guide and will follow step by step.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420727742.847830.jpg

Just wanted real life experiences to help me along. Reading is one thing but listening to people who have done it is the juice I'm after.

Thanks again Lambcrusher.

there are members here that have links to factory service manuals in their signature lines; can find them by using the search function. find a toyota FSM (factory service manual) the haynes is alright, but for the engine or carb work or troubleshooting, the factory manuals are the beesknees. you'll understand once you get in front of one...

there are members here that have links to factory service manuals in their signature lines; can find them by using the search function. find a toyota FSM (factory service manual) the haynes is alright, but for the engine or carb work or troubleshooting, the factory manuals are the beesknees. you'll understand once you get in front of one...

Suggestion....when you are removing bolts, or push rods or anything that needs to go back in some order, take a piece of cardboard, punch holes in the cardboard marking the order (draw the circle of the cover or mark front of engine on the cardboard) and insert the bolts (or push rods, etc) into the holes in the correct order. Sure is nice when time to put them back.

Suggestion....when you are removing bolts, or push rods or anything that needs to go back in some order, take a piece of cardboard, punch holes in the cardboard marking the order (draw the circle of the cover or mark front of engine on the cardboard) and insert the bolts (or push rods, etc) into the holes in the correct order. Sure is nice when time to put them back.

thanks. i will do that

Tomorrow I will mount the engine onto the stand and start the tear down.

the fsm on the 2Fs alone are the same thickness as the entire haynes book.

Yah I realised how much I did not know once I started going through the FSMs.

God send thanks guys.

Ok a little update.

So we needed to remove the clutch housing to install the stand clamp onto the block. With not a lot of room on the ground below the block we had to use a high lift jack to tilt it back enough for me to be able to move clutch plate out to be able to reach the flywheel and housing bolts.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987636.803119.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987674.673638.jpg

Went to collect the lift from boozewz but the thing was huge and couldn't fit In the RENAULT Kango which is a small van I took along.

So we ended up coming home empty handed.

That when the madness started. We started imaging a million and one ways to lift the engine onto the stand. From stretching tug ropes between two trucks and lifting it up, to using a PowerTank air lifter. All we need was to lift it about 20 inches.

In the end someone suggested a forklift. Luckily there is a construction site next to the house we sent for a fork lift.

Low and behold a forklift arrived and fixed what was a very difficult start to what seemed like a impossible job without a engine lift.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987741.995311.jpg

Positioned the engine and stand next to the gate so he could reach them.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987802.301004.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987825.536076.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420987843.053974.jpg

Done

Im so excited. Now the real work can start.

Subscribed, thanks for sharing.

Off topic but have to share with the world. Well just the few guys following.

Just finished installing my new 3 wiper windscreen with wipers that I got from abroad.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420991173.341270.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420991215.161455.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420991231.231741.jpg

Now I need to finish installing the washer bottle, tubes and motor.

Last edited:
the timing cover has 3 or 4 different size and length of screws/ keep them oriented correctly. read JimCs thread on how not to restore the fj40- you will get all the details there- there are many nuances...best to do some reading

Hi Lambcrusher,

I have been looking for JimCs thread. There are a few Jim Cs on Mud. Can you point me in his direction.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom