2020 Magnuson Supercharger... Well Maybe...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Based upon what I'm reading they really haven't changed the design just a lot fluff in the description. The "runners" they describe is just the OEM intake manifold. A stock motor is rated at 212 HP and 275 FT-LB of torque so a 25% increase in both is only adding 53 HP and 69 FT-LB and torque. As I recall TRD spec was 5 PSI versus 6 PSI of boost with higher horsepower/torque numbers. That can be subjective depending on peak or average gains etc. but I'm just saying that any design improvements is not reflected in those figures. The website states delivery is in March 2021 so I seriously think that this will never go into production at that price point.

Based upon what I'm reading they really haven't changed the design just a lot fluff in the description. The "runners" they describe is just the OEM intake manifold. A stock motor is rated at 212 HP and 275 FT-LB of torque so a 25% increase in both is only adding 53 HP and 69 FT-LB and torque. As I recall TRD spec was 5 PSI versus 6 PSI of boost with higher horsepower/torque numbers. That can be subjective depending on peak or average gains etc. but I'm just saying that any design improvements is not reflected in those figures. The website states delivery is in March 2021 so I seriously think that this will never go into production at that price point.

its worse than that, the numbers they go off are based on a brand new 1FZ not one with 200k miles like every single truck has that potentially gets one. The 1FZ is HALF of its torque and HP at 200k. Food for thought.
EDD5F286-FE7B-4CD9-9C8C-AEE831AA438D.jpeg

Forged pistons and new heads on this 6.2L so more in the range of $6500 but 5.3L all day for $5500. From my guy anyways.

19106106-CA5B-4CFD-9BC4-8CCC9BB2664C.jpeg
C85DA4B9-3791-421C-AE0E-B8BCAC71AFC1.jpeg

Cheers

its worse than that, the numbers they go off are based on a brand new 1FZ not one with 200k miles like every single truck has that potentially gets one. The 1FZ is HALF of its torque and HP at 200k. Food for thought.
View attachment 2404650

Is it really half?? Wow.

Would you need to do a full rebuild to reclaim that, or would a rebuilt head get you close?

No you don’t really lose half. OEM states crank HP. Dyno’s are wheel HP. Your actual HP loss due to mileage and wear at 200k miles is probably more like 5-10%. But that post does show actual dyno numbers from a stock truck, a TRD SC truck and a Turbo truck all on the same dyno.

Is it really half?? Wow.

Would you need to do a full rebuild to reclaim that, or would a rebuilt head get you close?

Now tell everyone how much you charge to install that into their 80. This is where $5500 or $6500 doesn’t seem so cheap anymore 😉

I never said it’s cheaper than a bolt on charger. Or easier or faster to install.

But if chasing hp, v8 or TD really the only way to go. I went from a S/C Toyota to a v8 swapped one, night and day difference.

Cheers

I have a turbo 1FZ and SC 1FZ. Night and day difference. I also have an LS3 swapped 80 with 6L80E in my shop now, and it’s not quite night and day vs the turbo. Maybe at 80mph+ it is but at 5” of lift and 35s, but I don’t drive that fast normally.

My point being that comparing a turbo that can be installed in a weekend by anyone in their driveway will NEVER EVER EVER EVER be anywhere close to the same price and ease of install to installing a V8 anything.

And my point is that $6-7k for a bolt on is 1/3 the cost of a new engine and trans installed, which is superior if your goals and desire are power.

Hell it was only $5k back in 2007 for the TRD S\C, URD ECU and 7th injector, URD small pulley and Jardine SS mandrel exhaust along with TRD spec thermostat, LC Engineering TB spacer, running 14psi, blah blah blah.

Me personally, $6-7k for a bolt on charger is simply not worth it. S/C pictured above on the diesel is a Sprintex, it was $1600, turbo was a custom built Garret T3, it cost $1800. It’s cool that the S/C and turbo are available for the 1FZ and works for some people but I see better ways to spend my money if I want more power. The GTurbo Bad Boy red wheel (27psi), injection pump overhaul with mods to suit 250rwhp, injectors fully rebuilt plus shipping to and from Australia was $5k for an FT we are building now. Not to mention the ftlbs of torque it will put out.

Cheers

Now I know next to nothing about superchargers or turbochargers, but I'm curious. If the 90 supercharger will actually flow through without boosting, would that mean that somebody with enough engine knowledge (ergo- not me) could set up a mad-max style intermittent boost supercharged engine? Now THAT would be pretty interesting!

I know the car's blower in the movie didn't actually work that way in real life, but that concept has always intrigued me...

@cruiserdan has had one on his OBD1 forever

Not quite forever. Only 20 years. Mine is a 93. Oh, the head gasket is original and the supercharger has been on there for ~140,000 miles of the 213,000 miles on the truck.

Not quite forever. Only 20 years. Mine is a 93. Oh, the head gasket is original and the supercharger has been on there for ~140,000 miles of the 213,000 miles on the truck.

I'm sure you've been asked plenty, can you share cliff notes or do you have a thread with details on your setup?

What was required to run boost on the OBD1?
Boost level?
Any changes to engine management hardware etc?
Any issues?

the original blower pulley was 3.2 inches. I'm running a 3.0 inch. Boost is 6.5 PSI +/-.
I run stock timing, premium gas and turbo MR2 sparkplugs.
I also run methanol injection, based on a small-block Ford kit from Kennedy's Dynotune out of Tomowanda New York. I inject 50/50 methanol/distilled water at a rate of 14 gallons per hour at 90 PSI. The methanol comes online when the engine RPM Is greater than 3,100 and manifold pressure is greater than 3.5 PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom