Builds 1HDT H55 INTO A FJ40--Some questions/Some answers (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So.... does that mean that you think the 1HD-T runs cooler than the 3B/turbo combo did?

I live up a few hills that have the potential to cook my 2LT-E, or a 3B/turbo if you don't watch them, so I'm definitely hoping to make the 1HZ/turbo combo run as cool as humanly possible. It would make me feel a lot better if the :princess: can drive it without having to worry about cooking the motor and thus angering me. (just kidding, I won't be angry, the 2LT-E will crack someday anyway...).

Very good to know that you haven't felt the need for a shroud. That gives me hope that the 1HZ/1HD-T might indeed run as cool as I have heard/read.

Dan

Just throwing it out there, but it should as you would work the engine half as hard to get the same results...

Rob

Just throwing it out there, but it should as you would work the engine half as hard to get the same results...

Rob

So what you are saying is that a bigger engine is cooler, and better? :clap: I guess I've never been able to compare the same vehicle with an engine swap and enough instrumentation to come to that conclusion...

Makes sense though. But if that were the case, then wouldn't bigger engines need less radiator in the same vehicle for the same conditions?

My curiosity is piqued, ALMOST enough to try turbo-ing and driving the H before I take it out and put in the 1HZ.... almost. :hillbilly:

Dan

cooling

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/245813-1hz-install-into-1978-fj40.html

Not too many 1hz or 1hdt 40s around at least that I found and Ive been searching

Crushers post might be a great ref for you with the 1hz turbo install if you havent seen it yet

Crusher and I have a grudge race pending cause he fails to admit that my 1hdt install will be faster than his 1HZ :lol::lol::lol:

But from what Ive read the motor should be fine with a stock 40 rad a 3 inch exhaust and an intercooler will prolly bring more power than I will ever need without raising temps

Got all my bits and pieces on order and went ahead and got the fork, retaining clips, and pilot and TOB from roodogs for an extra 50 on my order it makes life easy---so I have everything coming I need to mate up the h55 and 1hd-t

For the engine to frame fixed mounts I think I will be following Crushers example I've ordered the actual engine mounts (with the rubber)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/245813-1hz-install-into-1978-fj40.html

Not too many 1hz or 1hdt 40s around at least that I found and Ive been searching

Crushers post might be a great ref for you with the 1hz turbo install if you havent seen it yet

Crusher and I have a grudge race pending cause he fails to admit that my 1hdt install will be faster than his 1HZ :lol::lol::lol:

But from what Ive read the motor should be fine with a stock 40 rad a 3 inch exhaust and an intercooler will prolly bring more power than I will ever need without raising temps

Got all my bits and pieces on order and went ahead and got the fork, retaining clips, and pilot and TOB from roodogs for an extra 50 on my order it makes life easy---so I have everything coming I need to mate up the h55 and 1hd-t

For the engine to frame fixed mounts I think I will be following Crushers example I've ordered the actual engine mounts (with the rubber)

Very good idea on the engine mounts. It is better than what I did which was after forgetting them in the large order of parts and hearing that I'd have to wait another two months to get them I had the mechnic shop make the mounts. They are good but ordering the correct mounts was on my lessons learned list from the swap.

In theory or in practice?

I see a lot of posts that theorize about swaps, but Crushers link helped me to take the leap into this otherwise I may not have ventured into the unknown so soon after getting it on the road so all credit to him on the mounts and parts needed. Originally I was looking at a 12HT but price and shipping made that not a viable object.

I was a bit worried about the cost of this but I got the 1hdt at a bargain rate while searching and daydreaming about having a diesel and that made the rest feasible (but still not cheap)

Watcha gonna do when a diesel starts whirling around in your head?---there's no way out of it:)

During my research into the swap Ive seen a lot of models I never looked at before and now I covet a hj61, a 70 series Aussie Style, and a 80:rolleyes:

Hopefully my 40TD/5 speed will keep me happy for a while though:steer:

In a note DI engines uses to run fresh compared to IDI engines .. if the 1HD-T run fresh in a 80 ( yap bigger front and bigger rad but also big fat ass ) it isin't weird run fresh in a " light " 40

h55 input shaft swap & rebuild

Well through one of my new hangouts in the UK
Land Cruiser Forum Home • Land Cruiser Club and Forum

I found a guy that actually has done the h55 to 1hdt before and pretty much layed out to me all that I had learned here and some common probs on the h55, he is gonna swap the input shaft and tear down and inspect the trans and from that point we'll decide if it needs a rebuild or what

may just go for the whole rebuild on the h55 and transfer case---UK prices tend to be high plus VAT, any suggestions on a rebuild kit for a 88 model h55 and transfer out of a hj60?

saw a coat of paint on the 40 today! (Red)

common probs

"common problems" was probably the wrong words---more like here's a few things I've found rebuilding them that were consistent with what I've read and been told on the boards

also he named off all of the parts I would need and from what models off the cuff cause he has done it before and he came personally recommended by a forum member here

Its not like I could quiz him with my vast knowledge of the h55:doh::lol::lol:

just stuff like the 5th gear being a sort of add on design and mention some problems on a couple with the shaft in that location

But at least I dont get stunned silence when I start talking about mixing 40/60/70 & 80 parts on my 40;)

I dont think I would have a prob doing it myself but I travel a lot and time is a real issue and having no experience with transmissions I would want to use all the right SST's and follow the manual step by step so in this case decided to just have it done

Im getting impatient a little too since I put it on the road and drove it for a few weeks and since then it has been sitting in the shop for a couple months for paint as the guy ran into problem after problem getting his new paint booth built! (another shop)

really wanting to get this done quick as budget allows

progress

well got all the parts for the clutch and the bell housing and the new input shaft and now am trying to get it painted and all back together for inspection (MOT) prior to the install

Also a little side trip to pick up a hard top

hopefully will start on the drivetrain soon but it is another road trip to get the transmission to the rebuilder

Close to actually startimg the work

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/204950-71-fj-build-ugly-betty-10.html#post6723409

Well it has been 8 months getting the paint and a few other goodies done but it just went through inspection and will be heading off to the installer who is doing the 1HDT/h55

I went to his place and saw one he did already in a 71 FJ that was so perfect looking it made you wanna cry---it was a beaut!

just finally bit the bullet and ordered a brand new, correct bell housing to mate the 1hdt to the h55

hopefully if all goes well work will be started at the end of july and done by the end of sept and back on the road then

I am travelling away for work for a couple months and wont have use of the FJ anyhow so hopefully it will be turn key shortly after!

just wanted to let everyone know this project is definitely still in work---pics to come

by the way ---the other 1hdt/h55 fj40 had a drum transfer brake on it and honestly the rear DS did not look too short at all

Last edited:
Bellhousing came in today. Much quicker than I anticipated.

:cheers:

-o-
0622011311a.jpg

Just a quick review of the following bits and pieces, as I am about to place a significant order with Beno for my 1HD-T to H55F setup that will be going into my FJ45.

• 1HZ to H55 Bell housing = 31111-60230
  • 300mm 1HD-T Flywheel = 13405-17020 or 13405-17010
  • 300mm Pressure Plate = 31210-60121 or 31210-60122
  • 300mm 21 Spline Clutch = Isuzu 8-94462789-3 or 8-97162966-1 or GMC 94462789 or GMC 97162966
  • 21 Spline Input Shaft for H55F = 33311-60170

Definitely want to be sure that all of the above bits will both work together, and that they are the 300mm versions (not 275mm), and especially that the 300mm pressure plate assembly will physically fit and work within the 1HZ bell housing.

After reading so many different threads my head is spinning with numbers. Have already confirmed most of the numbers and availability with Beno, just need the sizing info.

Steve

parts

Just a quick review of the following bits and pieces, as I am about to place a significant order with Beno for my 1HD-T to H55F setup that will be going into my FJ45.

• 1HZ to H55 Bell housing = 31111-60230
  • 300mm 1HD-T Flywheel = 13405-17020 or 13405-17010
  • 300mm Pressure Plate = 31210-60121 or 31210-60122
  • 300mm 21 Spline Clutch = Isuzu 8-94462789-3 or 8-97162966-1 or GMC 94462789 or GMC 97162966
  • 21 Spline Input Shaft for H55F = 33311-60170

Definitely want to be sure that all of the above bits will both work together, and that they are the 300mm versions (not 275mm), and especially that the 300mm pressure plate assembly will physically fit and work within the 1HZ bell housing.

After reading so many different threads my head is spinning with numbers. Have already confirmed most of the numbers and availability with Beno, just need the sizing info.

Steve

I got my clutch bits from oz ---G&S, I remember the clutch was called heavy duty safari clutch but I went with the 275mm version.
A lot of bits and pieces were scrounged around the shop during the install

The input shaft and bell housing I got from Beno,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom