1FZ engine building and blueprinting (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

15078871_10154692251028917_3891667837981502879_n.jpg

There is something cool about building a hipo 1fz...

No I didn't find out about the head redesign until after I had bought a new head. We never had the late GEN2 head here. There is no hole for a distributor since the GEN2 has wasted spark ignition.

I wish it was mine. They also redesigned the intake and exhaust ports.

Very nice design. Appears as though there in no squish band at all? Would make a great boost head I think but our squish style might be better for NA. Is it yours?

Last edited:
Where did that head come from?

Haha well if it makes you feel any better I don't think many people if any knew the difference outside of maybe some smart parts guys in the Middle East and Australia, but when I brought up the idea of calling the 105 1FZ a GEN2, no one really understood why, and I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't scouring the internet looking at combustion chambers, valve sizes, etc related to my own turbo project. But doing a Turbo project starting with the 105 bare head vs the 80 series head would have saved me a lot of time!

IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG

Things I learn when I'm on here: Toyota FZ engine - Wikipedia

I think that kit is like 6 Gs, dude :(
More like 7. Then I think the idea is to boost it.

I really wish I'd gotten a SC before they stopped making them. It would also be nice if there was a thought out turbo kit.

More like 7. Then I think the idea is to boost it.

I really wish I'd gotten a SC before they stopped making them. It would also be nice if there was a thought out turbo kit.

Damn. I'll probably stick with the 4.5L. Supercharger is sweet. With some luck and help I found one and it showed up two weeks ago. Didn't take long to kill my stock radiator though. Now an all alum 3 core is going in. Power with a S/C is pretty good. Like a whole new ride. Needs intercooled and maybe a snorkel set up.

I'll leave this here:
. Boys, we can't let the Australians go it alone.

while these can easily make a ton more power......its usually done much higher up in the rpm range which imho is virtually useless offroad. 1800rpm idle and 1000hp off idle will make for super fun grenading axles and pinion fireworks for the crowds on the Rubicon as you idle-bump over obstacles. now if everyone brought their own donkey......it would make for fun 'pin-your-rear-pinion- on the donkey' games.

this build would be interesting if the V/E can be increased on the stock cam and run higher compression without needing to bump up the octane. imho- a slight bump to 4.6l O/S pistons has yielded some nice results for Robbies builds.....and possibly a slight bump in valve size/ unshrouding and compression should add some off idle torque thump.

But hints to the limits/bottlenecks of the early 1fz can be seen with the direction the Toyota engineers chose to go with the coilpacked-improved head version. Better spark/ better flow. It would be interesting to see what added compression and slightly bigger pistons/ cylinders would add to that mix.

20-30 more off idle hp and torque- coupled with 500-700lb weight loss on a rig......would be an effective gain that i would be very happy with.

Last edited:
I've got a supercharged Tacoma. It's awesome. Turbo on the 1fz looks like a great thing.

@hazard hey man I just thought of something cool you could do. I actually bought everything to do it but I bought a bare head and would need to scrounge up some old valves, but since you like tinkering would you want to CC the combustion chamber??

I have a sneaking suspicion that more has changed on the GEN2 combustion chamber than we are thinking. To eliminate that much material they either had to flatten out the valve angle and decrease the max roof height of the combustion chamber or they had to radically change the piston. I do know the GEN2 piston takes much less boost than the GEN1 but again I have never had one in my hands.

The reason CC'ing the combustion chamber is important is if "we" do open things up, unshroud the valves etc, how much will that change the compression numbers? My goal when I bought my 10:1 Pistons was to plan to open the combustion chamber only enough to maybe drop to 9.75:1.

Like I said you really don't have to, I have the materials but if you want to give it a shot I could also do it and we could compare. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom