1990 Tow Yard Cruiser & Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking forward to contributing to the community to which I have previously only been a reader. To share my bonehead moves and triumphs and document the next chapter for this deserving 1990 FJ62 270k miles. Undriven, untested. Bought out of a tow yard with a clean title and a dead battery. The only information obtained was that it has fuel delivery issues. I know enough to know better, but like the old stray dog at the shelter my heart won this one. "shut up, stupid brain" - In the glovebox were a few small repair receipts spanning the last 10 years. The clear coat is scabbing, and no brake pressure. This is the account of what I did, how I did it, wins, and failures from a true NOOB perspective.

Not my first cruiser, but my first 60 series. Following a half dozen 40's and Joining my 1993 DLX.

Pictures as found. sitting for "years" The body is straight and rust free, Interior is dirty, but not bad, headliner is very nice. Big plus! anything else, a mystery.

F**k yeah. Always wanted to do one of those Roadkill sort of things like this. Good luck!

Ill open with the facts. I work full-time selling Airstreams! (best job!) I leave the house when its dark, I get home when its dark (in winter) We have a project property, toddlers and teenagers, a dog and a snake on top of a head full of dreams and an unreasonable amount of "someday" projects.

DAY I
First things first. After an hour or two of walk around, poking and fiddling around with stuff on a fresh battery, I found the Cruiser to be very well intact. Besides the stock stereo being MIA the entire vehicle appears to be clean, stock, and complete. The window lock switch is busted, the antenna motor is there but no whip. The electric door locks pretend like they're trying to work, but dont. Drivers window comes down but starts to sound like it struggles and slows so I rolled it up and left it alone for now. The girls helped wash it and into the garage by power of the four-wheeler (Honda rancher now outside )

Hi, So you have not tried to start it on clean fuel ? Mike

DAY II - Triumph, after frustration & objective pushed out a week.

I feel like thats going to be a common occurrence here. Lol - To Begin; Cracks knuckles, Okay GAS. I read to track down other issues regarding the pulsation damper, pressure regulator, cold start switch etc before jumping to PUMP conclusion. 1.) Drain tank, check. Very bad gas. 2.) the paperclip test. (hotwire the fuel pump FP to B+ in the diagnostic plug, pass side firewall in engine compartment) I hear nothing. Pull carpet and access the sending unit on top of fuel tank, unplug the fuel pump check for power at the quick connect. hmm no power. Gets excited that pump might be okay traces back to the open circuit relay (pass side kick panel) its looks good, check for power again (this time with key in Acc position :p Oh, s*** there IS power there after all. D'oh - so, okay it's the pump (for now). Find the thread on pulling tank. Its pretty easy. Remove trailing arm bracket from frame, undo 7 fuel lines and electrical, bust a pinky, have a sandwich and done. Pull pump, pull sender. and ugh, nastiness. A moment of Do I invest in doing this right? or, fast and cheap. I know the answer, but gotta give the latter a try. Grab a junk bike chain and some clean fuel, place tank on a wheel dolly and let than chain aggregate the sticky varnish as I rock the tank. I thought I was being quite clever until I lost the chain. My fuel tank experience has not been with chambered complicated tanks WTF is this!? Everything leading up to the blasted chain was so far, so good. I found one end and got a grab at it, it had wrapped around a crossmember and knotted itself up inside. Dont try this at home folks. After a passionate tango in the driveway turning the tank every which way, some spirited language it came out. Sometimes trying cheap and fast lead to "should have just done it right in the first place" Not much time wasted, whatever. Off to United for a hot tank bath $72.50 Caldwell, ID.

The leads to the pump from the sending unit were very poor and the ground connection broke very easily. Will run a screw or solder a new ground wire to the cradle. Any suggestions? A new rivet?

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS WHEN POSSIBLE. My Denso fuel Pump, Filter, Gasket are due in the mail. Heading down to parts store for new Fuel lines, (because NOW is the time to do it!)

Bonus - Original Tools!

Hello and welcome to the 60-series. I'm in the North End of Boise, should you ever need a tool, factory service manual, or shoulder to cry on. Nice looking rig!

I believe it’s to late even if it hasn’t had the tank recall as the fj62 tanks are no longer available from what I’ve read. But I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom