Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I gotta believe that red-line is somewhat optimistic....:lol:

Ye of little faith...... :)

I agree :eek:

Just for posterity and documenting purposes, two great friends of mine (@Gun Runner 5 and @omarluis) sent me pictures of their tachometers on a factory 1HZ equipped 70-series (HZJ77 and HZJ76). The 1HZ redlines at 4500 rpm as shown on the photos below:

1023.jpg

1024.jpg

I will keep in mind that anything above 4500 rpm is not good :)

Alberto, did that little black rubber grommet that goes around the trip reset knob come with the new new cluster/meter or was that a separate item? Mine has deteriorated and was curious if it is possible to just get the black grommet. I can't seem to find the part number on that item.

Also, I think a lot of people are curious to see pics your new exhaust system.

Thought I would post this here as well, but for those wanting/needing a Toyota Turbo or Diesel emblem, I recently purchased a set from Cruiserparts and they came in the mail yesterday. I paid about $20 each and they are really nice. They are plastic-made and have two little non-threaded prongs in the back to align it properly. They also come with emblem tape already on the back.

Here are the part numbers for both and maybe Onur @beno or Dan @cruiserdan might still be able to source them through the regular Toyota channels:

View attachment 1050648

View attachment 1050649

View attachment 1050650

View attachment 1050651

Here is the link to Cruiserparts:

Emblems & Stickers & Name Plates : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

And also a link to a previous thread here in the 70-series Tech that talked about this:

help getting turbo emblem

Hope somebody finds this useful.

-Alberto
hello Alberto can you sell me the diesel emblem part: 75311-60030?

Thanks! :cheers:

I really liked it when I had it on my FZJ60 back home, hoping for same results here :)

You know, that's a good question. I don't think this cage is anywhere close to the quality that MetalTech and such would produce on a roll-over-protection here in U.S., but I would imagine that every little reinforcement to the roof structure would (hopefully) increase the chances in making it out of a roll-over. Regarding the thickness, I didn't measure it, but I don't remember it being anything special. I might think of adding some changes to make it "stronger", but I think it is a good/decent platform to start and it certainly looks nice, too :eek:

alberto hi,,,, if tha roll cage is made in venezuela its 2.6mm its a cold roller tube with 1008 steel and the tube have seams

Awesome build... Lots of smarts.
Interested in that catch can, does it have a filter? Unscrew to drain? Is the small nut a dipstick?

P

Thanks for the compliments!

Regarding the catch can, I really like it. The Radium Engineering Catch Can does not have a filter like the Mann Hummel ProVent 200 catch can does. The Radium Engineering Catch Can has a stainless steel mesh on the inlet port to help condensate the oil mist which I prefer over a filter since I would imagine would yield to more hours of maintenance free operation, but who knows if the filter ones are more effective?

You are correct, the bottom part of the catch can unscrews to drain and clean, very simple. The small nut is s dipstick as you mentioned. I think it is very clever and it compares somehow to the HPD Catch Can that some other MUD folks have used, too.

Once more, thanks for the kind comments and I hope this helps!

-Alberto

Wow!! I just powered through most of this thread over the last 24 hours... MUCH RESPECT! not one, but two stellar builds on the same rig.....
I really need to treat my cruiser better... ;)

I ran two wires from the 1HZ injection pump Tach sensor to the old bell-housing plug on the BJ70 wiring harness, I ran these wires quick and dirty to see if it would work just that simple and sure enough, it came to life!

View attachment 1535352

View attachment 1535353

I then cleaned the wires and ran them along the factory wire loom. The amber light next to the Turbo word stays on all the time. I know that Chris ran into the same thing, but it really doesn't bother me much. I don't have the boost and overboost sensors, so those lights will not be connected anyways.
Alberto, did you connect the new wires directly to the back of the tacho somewhere or ... ?

Wow!! I just powered through most of this thread over the last 24 hours... MUCH RESPECT! not one, but two stellar builds on the same rig.....
I really need to treat my cruiser better... ;)
BTW, he had this beauty up for sale awhile back. Like over a year ago.

That brush bar looks amazing! who makes it? love the build

Thank you!
That was made in Venezuela by a company called INTI. Not sure what they are up to these days but they used to do good work.

its an IDI engine, no problem.

great work on this rig Alberto !

Thank you for the kind words!

Alberto became one of those “80 Series“ guys a good while back. ☹️

Not true not true haha.

I will always be a 70-series person and will have another one, hopefully soon. Personal things got in the way of the fun and though I do have an 80-series now, I always want to come back to the crowd here.

I haven’t been on the forum on a long while and it’s good to see so many positive messages about this build. I truly enjoyed it, that’s for sure.

Omar provided me with the photobucket link below for ease of viewing of some of the photos if someone care to see them:

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w466/omarluis1984/canaima sept 2012/

I give full credits of the photos to Omar, Fernando, Robert, and Robert's dad (Mr. Celestino).

Now back to work on the BJ70 :wrench:
View attachment 684632
I am thoroughly inspired. I know this was many years ago, but wow! What a trip. I am a young college student just getting into the Land Cruiser world and much of my interest comes because of stories like this. I want so badly to experience real overlanding like the stories I read about from days past. I feel a little like I was born in the wrong era with so many fancy off-roading vehicles haha. Anyway, I hope to do something like this one day. Thanks for sharing!

I am thoroughly inspired. I know this was many years ago, but wow! What a trip. I am a young college student just getting into the Land Cruiser world and much of my interest comes because of stories like this. I want so badly to experience real overlanding like the stories I read about from days past. I feel a little like I was born in the wrong era with so many fancy off-roading vehicles haha. Anyway, I hope to do something like this one day. Thanks for sharing!

I am very glad you enjoyed the read. It was an amazing trip for sure and it was on my bucket list to travel to Angel Falls on a Land Cruiser. I am lucky to have friends that made this possible for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom