Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if the 60-series right rear one would work without any modification?

No, it will not. That mount does not have a long enough extension to position the shock far enough ahead of the axle to clear the locker shifting bits. I already tried that.

More details of your friend's modification would be very helpful. Perhaps that info could be supplied to Dave so that he can build a correct one to begin with.

I hope..:grinpimp:

Did this a couple of weekends ago but haven't posted the photos yet. First I want to thank my friend Matt for letting me use his lift to get this done. Second, I want to thank my friend Chris for making the 2-hr drive (one way) and helping me tow the parts to and from my house and Matt's shop, and to my friend Andy for coming and giving an extra set of hands (and eyes) to line up everything. All and all, I think it went fairly smooth, though it was sketchy at times having the body so high up to clear the engine (the oil stains on the floor were there prior to us using it and did not come from the 70 at any point).

Will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

First set:

926.jpg

927.jpg

928.jpg

929.jpg

930.jpg

One thing I learned when installing the Boost Compensator on the injection pump, is that the idle and max speed screws become too short to provide any adjustment at all. The non-compensated injection pump top has only one "ear" where the adjustment screw goes through and the boost-compensated pump has two "ears". I tried to find the correct Toyota set screw for the 1HDT pump but came empty handed.

You can just go to the hardware store and get a longer screw that has the same thread-pitch, and done. But, since these pumps are very common and Cummins engines use these type pumps, too, I started looking at the adjustment screws from Cummins engines. I found a BOSCH part number that you can go to any Diesel injection shop and buy them, not cheap, but they are compatible with the Toyota pump. You will need two (2) set screws as mentioned above, one for the idle control and a second one for the max speed adjustment. I bought one initially to see if I fit and then ordered the other one once I confirmed fitment.

The BOSCH Part number is 1-463-402-421

935.jpg

Installed on the Injection Pump:

936.jpg

And the receipt just for record keeping:

937.jpg

As I mentioned a few posts ago, the 3B's with the inline injection pump only have a supply fuel line going from the fuel tank to the injection pump. It does not have a provision for a fuel return line to the tank (I think this does not apply to the rotary-type pumps on the 3B). I bought the fuel tank pick-up and return fittings from Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting a while ago and now finally installed it.

Welcome to LCPC

Photo of the stock pick-up on the fuel tank:

938.jpg

Part number of the pick-up/return:

939.jpg

Comparison of the two (old one looks like it has seen better days :)):

940.jpg

I've talked to a few people and read a few threads on pusher pumps, and since I added that extra fuel filter I wanted to help the main feed pump on the injection pump with a low pressure volume of fuel to the inlet. I went with a Walbro FRB-5 pump, which is rated for about 8 psi of deadhead and it is a fail-open pump, meaning that when/if it fails the main fuel pump will still be able to pull fuel through the disabled Walbro pump. Some specs of the pump are listed on the Walbro website:

http://www.walbro.com/fr-series-fuel-pumps/frb-5-reciprocating-fuel-pump/

And some of the threads with discussions about this:

Teach me about pusher pumps

Walbro Install on HDJ81

I tried to find a clean and protected location for the Walbro pump, that would be above the frame rails, tucked up as high as possible, and would not add excessive lengths of fuel lines. I didn't want to drill or weld on the frame that was just galvanized and painted, so decided to weld a small tab with threaded holes to one of the support brackets of the Crusin Off-Road rock sliders.

Cruisin Off Road - Armour for Land Cruisers - Sliders

Below are some photos of what I did:

941.PNG

942.jpg

943.jpg

944.jpg

945.jpg

Note: Lower hose on Walbro pump is not done as I will have to trim it and secure it to the frame. Will get to that later. Also, wiring to the Walbro is not done yet.

Finished the fuel lines on the bulkhead, installed the factory fuel filter in the correct location. Also moved the oil pressure and temperature sending wires from the right side of the engine (where they lived on the 3B), to the left side of the engine where they reside on the 1HZ. Fuel bracket procured by my good friend Joe @joekatana, fuel lines on the bulkhead I made and wrap them with thermal insulation to keep some of the heat away:

946.jpg

Installed a new fan clutch and new belts and test fitted radiator (new radiator and new radiator hoses will go in when final assembly):

947.jpg

Test fitted the freshly powder coated fan shroud:

948.jpg

949.jpg

And played with the dog for a little bit as he was a little upset with all the garage time:

950.jpg

One link I wanted to share that have a lot of the part numbers for the BOSCH VE pump is the one shown below. I will also include the images from this link as when I went to reference it in post #932 all the images seemed to be gone, so I figure we should have them on the IH8MUD forum as well. Not sure what other parts will cross over but I feel that somebody might find this helpful at some point. It will be in two posts as there are 10 images total.

Bosch VE Distributor Injection Pump - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

951 Pump 1.jpg

952 Pump 2.jpg

953 Pump 3.jpg

954 Pump 4.jpg

955 Pump 5.jpg

Last edited:
One cool thing that I was able to buy from Cruiser Dan @cruiserdan before he moved from the Toyota Parts world to the Land Cruiser Museum was an early 1990's 70-series grill. The grill came gray as shown on the stock photo below. Borrowed the photo from Steve Jackson @SteveJackson at Land Cruisers Direct:

Land Cruisers Direct - Home

961.jpg

I looked at the above photo for a long time and wondered whether to leave the grill gray or to paint it black. I know some will like it and some will not, but I decided to give it to Jeff (the painter) to paint it black. Jeff did a great job taping the TOYOTA logo and he painted it a nice satin black. Looks nice in my opinion. Older style grill below, newer style on top:

962.jpg

Then sourced a DIESEL and TURBO emblems from Cruiserparts.net. These emblems are from an 80-series I believe.

966 Badge 1.JPG

967 Badge 2.JPG

968 Badge 4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom