Builds 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Short Bed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Voilà!
4-B2-A58-A6-0-D26-40-C5-ADE2-2-A0-F65892-D56.jpg

Before and After:
D0338-F3-D-4638-4-FE6-9-C63-99-C5363911-A2.jpg

I still need the ‘79-‘81 emblem.
05-AD6955-940-C-4-EAB-9006-BBAA667617-C0.jpg
Looks awesome!

LOVE IT!!!

Looks like quite a bit of weight on the right rear.

Looks really good. Classic.

Very nice. Like the combo!

I agree with CDan the left rear deserves a bit more attention, I have BFG ATS or MTs on 6 trucks none I don’t think any required that amount of weight.

Looks like quite a bit of weight on the right rear.
Very nice. Like the combo!

I agree with CDan the left rear deserves a bit more attention, I have BFG ATS or MTs on 6 trucks none I don’t think any required that amount of weight.

It is a lot of weight on the driver’s side rear wheel. But it’s not from the tires. That wheel was just way out of balance. I spoke to the tire guy when he balanced them, and that was the only one that was so far out of whack.

Do y’all have any suggestions?

I finally got some decent photos of the truck with the updated look.

A5-CCEBE7-A1-FB-4-B1-B-87-A2-EE0-A5-CA10-F6-C.jpg

73-B001-ED-AFB1-498-F-9-E26-1-BCE6-B192-E5-E.jpg

26-F67-B1-C-B337-4940-B80-E-3-F9735-C8-F91-F.jpg

681-E6759-1-EF8-47-AE-9-E73-8340718-EEC2-D.jpg

6-D6-F60-EE-72-EE-43-B4-9-E0-E-12-C09130-EF4-F.jpg

547-E3277-FABA-48-ED-A9-BD-5-CBBD0-BB431-A.jpg

1-D970-C01-2257-47-B8-B297-330-E5-AB2050-B.jpg

Graphics soon.

Last edited:
It is a lot of weight on the driver’s side rear wheel. But it’s not from the tires. That wheel was just way out of balance. I spoke to the tire guy when he balanced them, and that was the only one that was so far out of whack.

Do y’all have any suggestions?

Where did the wheels come from?

Call them and tell them what the problem is and ask them how to fix it.

Call them and tell them what the problem is and ask them how to fix it.

What is the problem? My 4th wheel has a lot of weights on it?

Yes, exactly what your tire guy told you. This wheel is way out of balance.

Yes, exactly what your tire guy told you. This wheel is way out of balance.

Is that so bad? Aside from aesthetics, is there anything wrong with lots of weights on a wheel?

Even if Wheel Vintiques replaces the wheel, I still need to get it powdercoated. That makes it cost-prohibitive to exchange. I think it makes more sense to buy a 5th wheel, ensure it is decently balanced, then powdercoat it, and then relegate the out-of-balance-wheel to the spare. If the 5th wheel is way out of balance, I can exchange it before I powdercoat it.

But the extra wheel weights don’t really bother me right now. I’ll probably just live with it.

It's your call. You asked how to "fix" it, now you know the answer. You can certainly live with it but it is not pretty to look at.

Quality tire/wheel combinations rarely take more than a couple ounces total to balance out. Sometimes maybe only a half ounce.

If I were keeping that wheel I would paint the weights because they stick out like a sore thumb and scream "man, this tire took a ton of weight to correct".

YMMV.

I would be getting another wheel. Powder coat is not cheap, and maybe a lesson for us all is to have new wheels spun on a balancer before throwing money at them. I bet Summit will send you another wheel for free.

Are you planning on a little lift? The tires really fill the wheel wells!

Did you go H4 for your new lights? I’m so happy (not that my opinion is worth anything) that you didn’t go with JW Speaker or some other space alien inspired projector or LED lights. They just look so out of place on these classic trucks. If you need more than H4s can put out, some classic auxiliary lighting like KC Daylighters would be my choice. Or hide a light bar behind the grill or?

It's your call. You asked how to "fix" it, now you know the answer. You can certainly live with it but it is not pretty to look at.

Quality tire/wheel combinations rarely take more than a couple ounces total to balance out. Sometimes maybe only a half ounce.

If I were keeping that wheel I would paint the weights because they stick out like a sore thumb and scream "man, this tire took a ton of weight to correct".

YMMV.
I would be getting another wheel. Powder coat is not cheap, and maybe a lesson for us all is to have new wheels spun on a balancer before throwing money at them. I bet Summit will send you another wheel for free.

Are you planning on a little lift? The tires really fill the wheel wells!

Did you go H4 for your new lights? I’m so happy (not that my opinion is worth anything) that you didn’t go with JW Speaker or some other space alien inspired projector or LED lights. They just look so out of place on these classic trucks. If you need more than H4s can put out, some classic auxiliary lighting like KC Daylighters would be my choice. Or hide a light bar behind the grill or?

Hindsight is 20-20. Ideally I would have checked them for balance prior to having them powdercoated. But, I was also trying to mount OEM Toyota steel wheels from the beginning, and this was an alternative solution after realizing they were NLA.

Is it unfortunate that the one wheel is covered in weights? Sure. I’ll email Summit on Monday and see if they will send me a replacement wheel. Then I’ll have it spun before powdercoat. Then swap wheels and tires around so the out-of-balance wheel is the spare under the bed.

Yes, Hella H4s for the replacement lights. I think ultra-modern LED style headlights look silly on a classic vehicle.

No plans for more lift right now. The truck rides and drives great! Maybe Holley Sniper and Marlin Dual Case, but those are long-term plans after graphics and repairing the bed.

Other than the extra wheel weights on one wheel, how do you guys like how the truck is turning out?

It’s looking great. Can’t wait to see it with the stripes. Have you figured out which ones you are going with? JD?

I think it looks great. Nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom