Builds 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2. Barrel latch plate
I used nut serts on the rear sill to mount plate.... sorry I dont have a picture of that...
1568675745671.png

1568675777092.png

5. Mount new side mirrors to body.
I wanted mirrors for when I take the doors off.
I did not want to mount them on windshield hinge for a couple of reasons.
1. They will not fold around incase they get hit with something because the mirror arm hits the windshield frame
2. It will not work with my snorkle.
3. So I used one of the old factory locations to mount my mirrors.

I made a backing plate for the inside
I also used a thin nylon reinforced rubber for gaskets... so there is not metal to metal contact.... hopefully it will save the paint.

1568676904671.png

1568676968073.png

1568677011193.png

1568677040918.png

Well, I bought this off @shipmag (transmission / transfer case bypass hose) a few years ago.... I decided today was a great day to install it!!

Thank you @shipmag, that is a great piece of work!

Changed transmission and transfer case oil while i was under the truck.

Transmission oil looked perfect.... transfer case oil looked its age.

5 quarts 90wt did the trick, enough for both.

Thats a handy hose attachment on that quart bottle.. picked it up at Wally World
8630ECD2-93B6-4F2C-9AD9-6E609B85A669.JPG

DC640711-ED11-4BAB-ADC7-33C9D1BF0130 2.jpg

Today was nicest day we have had in the past few months and it motivated me to work on my truck.

This was another thing that needed to completed since my restoration.

The original owner installed ARB lockers front and rear using a CO2 tank. Because the tank was out of date I had to get it tested and refilled. I did that last week.

Here are the parts I recovered from storage.
IMG-2418.jpg

Last edited:
Ratchet strapped around the roll bar....its about the the best place I can think....
If anyone has any other ideas im open for suggestions.
Two requirements: 1. The tank/bottle has to be upright (because CO2 is liquid then turns to gas)
2. I have to access the on/off valve (because my system has a few leaks).
The regulator is set to 85 psi.
IMG-2419.jpg

Here is my mounting location... behind the passenger seat on the access panel the the gas tank evap stuff.

IMG-2427.jpg

Where those airlines go through the floor is right above the filler hose and evap lines....of course I forgot to get a pic... but here is the cover anyway.

IMG-2422.jpg

Awesomeness. Takes me back to my Zebranator days. I ran an AC compressor but I like where you put yours. I would've been torn about which side to put on.
Do I add a few inches of blind spot or put it on the side I can't access as easily? Hmmm.

Ratchet strapped around the roll bar....its about the the best place I can think....

PowerTank makes a bracket to hold 10-lb. bottles, I have one in my truck. But they just clamp to the roll bar, not that different from your set-up. If I can find a photo of mine, I'll post it.

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

Sorry I don't have any close-ups, but you can see that it is an aluminum bracket with top and bottom U-shaped pieces to fit the tank, and an aluminum locking strap to hold it in. If you want I will take some close-up photos of the empty bracket tomorrow.

Two requirements: 1. The tank/bottle has to be upright (because CO2 is liquid then turns to gas)
2. I have to access the on/off valve (because my system has a few leaks).
The regulator is set to 85 psi.
View attachment 2206805
1. No idea why I haven’t been getting any of your updates. I’m caught up now.
2.A fire extinguisher mounting system could work on your bottle possibly.
3. I just got my FJ back from the shop as the rear axle seals finally gave up the ghost. I went with an Auburn limited slip in the rear. I’m very happy with it. After seeing all your hose work necessary for ARBs I’m glad I passed on those. My front axle is just open diff which is fine for me as I have no power steering.
4. Did you restore your 8274 winch yourself or is it restored?

Awesomeness. Takes me back to my Zebranator days. I ran an AC compressor but I like where you put yours. I would've been torn about which side to put on.
Do I add a few inches of blind spot or put it on the side I can't access as easily? Hmmm.

And more adding weight to the drivers side.. adding to that cruiser lean. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom