Builds 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mounted Barn Doors today

1. Had to round the lower corners, because 79 and later have rounded corners.
So I made a template from my ambulance doors.

20170611_104922.jpg
20170611_105000.jpg

4. The original lower mount from the Amby doors, was used it as the upper mount on barn doors.

This will required me to remount upper hinge on barn door.

I used original lower position on barn door, which required me to drill more holes and mount hinge to body.

I used nut inserts I had two styles: plus nuts and .....and.... hell i don't know the name of them. But I did not use the plus nuts. The plus nuts were too heavy duty for this application. The plus nut is the bigger one.

The bottom pic is "my tool" is used to collapsed the nut inserts. It is a Grade 10 metric bolt. Worked well.... because Im a cheap ass!!

20170611_132830.jpg
20170611_132911.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome DIY! Thank you for posting this, I just got a rusty set of barn doors that I've been trying to figure out how to put on my 78... static plate(faux tailgate), operational tailgate(welded together), or operational barn doors. You've just tipped the scales!

Few quick questions:
1) did u have a gap to deal with due to different widths? Seems my 1978 opening is a tad wider than the barn doors. Was planning to just center it and put a mini-gap on both sides
2) backing plates - did u just slice some square tube?
3) what are you gonna do regarding the slide lock striker thing? I was hoping the outer lock is sufficient, since my slider lock pin on the bottom is missing.

Great write up! I bet many will follow in your footsteps! Worthy of its own thread IMHO.

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

@joyRidaz, thank you for the compliment, Im glad it was helpful!!

1. My opening is 41 1/2 inches fender to fender. To keep my gaps spaced "equally" I tacked my doors to a piece of 1/2 inch angle iron. I made sure I centered my latch when I tacked it. Then I used those wooden shims to keep it centered in the opening.

2. My backing plates are 14 ga and I had some pieces bent at our shop at work. i had been wondering how I was going to get some metal bent and during my research, I found a bunch of places around town to buy the metal and bend it. But I decided to use the shop at work instead, because they are "free".

3. Funny you should ask, I was fixing to post up some questions about the barrel latch dimensions and pictures. I think it is going to have to be fabricated. I have never seen one so I don't know. I going to use it because the doors need it for support IMHO.

My buddy @adistler1 came by the house yesterday. We proceeded to mock up his barn doors too.

He has had some PO work done to his rig, which we could not repair. But we centered them best we could. I believe they turned out pretty good.

20170611_180926.jpg

20170611_182132.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy @adistler1 came by the house yesterday. We proceeded to mock up his barn doors too.

He has had some PO work done to his rig, which we could not repair. But we centered them best we could. I believe they turned out pretty good.

View attachment 1477430

View attachment 1477432

PO work is an understatement! Thank you for your help and the work on your truck is a real inspiration. The angle iron trick, again, was brilliant. Can't believe how easy it made it.

Last edited:
I also worked on mounting passenger side spare tire carrier.

I had this backing plate made at work. Typo EDIT 14 ga

20170624_173843.jpg
20170624_173852.jpg
20170624_173924.jpg

Here is the original one. I think the new one is spot on to the old one!!
20170525_120103.jpg

Last edited:
I found this very interesting.... but the tire carriers have the same bolt pattern.. Tube style and square tire carrier, left and right sides all have the SAME BOLT PATTERN.

20170624_180808.jpg
20170624_180527.jpg

There is some difference in the hinges between the years.
20170624_180516.jpg

20170624_180512.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom