Builds 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet Patina 40! :) I am doing an H55/Splitcase with 2H conversion on my 40. I decided to go with a SF 70 series rear PB axle from @joekatana.
Toyota SF axles are solid units, we have a 3500 lbs HJ45 (w/ camper) that traveled some of the hardest roads in Africa on a SF rear axle without ever breaking an axle shaft.

Sweet Patina 40! :) I am doing an H55/Splitcase with 2H conversion on my 40. I decided to go with a SF 70 series rear PB axle from @joekatana.
Toyota SF axles are solid units, we have a 3500 lbs HJ45 (w/ camper) that traveled some of the hardest roads in Africa on a SF rear axle without ever breaking an axle shaft.

Thanks!

H55F is in my immediate future as well!

I’d love to do a rear axle swap and diesel conversion. But other items are on the agenda for now.

Congrats on the new red cruiser:beer:! (I’ve been on a red kick ever since I read your ‘hunt’ thread-thanks).

Why build so much for light duty? Factory cruisers came well equipped to do more than you need. Keep it classic man! Sorry, I’m a big stock guy :)

I have an extra headliner, pm me if your interested

Congrats on the new red cruiser:beer:! (I’ve been on a red kick ever since I read your ‘hunt’ thread-thanks).

Why build so much for light duty? Factory cruisers came well equipped to do more than you need. Keep it classic man! Sorry, I’m a big stock guy :)

I have an extra headliner, pm me if your interested

“Why build so much for light duty?” I’m not sure I follow? Do you mean, why am I adding so much to the truck?

Seller actually included a new headliner, but I want fix the windshield cap before I install it.

Was surprised when I saw you put your 80 up for sale but now I understand why this is a very nice looking 40. Best of luck with the build!

Thank you! I questioned weather I had made the right decision after I sold the 80, but after driving the new 40, I’m very pleased!

Strong work. Looks great. So how does it drive/ride now?

Thanks! It’s very nice! Although, the tight suspension exposed the loose steering. Ha!

Small update - The truck needed suspension work when I purchased it. The rear was sagging really bad.
5650-D495-52-F5-4-AE4-BF4-C-C65-A87-CC2-D03.jpg

This week I installed a full OME 2.5" suspension lift, 33" BFG KM3s, and had the wheels powdercoated white. Plus new tie rod ends.

Big thanks to @cruiseroutfit!

C01-B58-B7-9-E9-B-44-B9-84-C8-6-B60-C8-B7-DAE2.jpg

D478-D464-2309-4-EDE-BEA3-0-AF3-B90-F1-FE2.jpg

Still waiting to get the spare back from powdercoat. And an alignment and State inspection. Hopefully I can get it all wrapped up before the weekend.

Man I need to lift my truck...

Small progress update. Plumbed an Aeromotive Phantom fuel bulkhead in my new fuel tank for the Holley Sniper setup. It was really tricky to avoid the fuel level float, the internal baffles in the tank, and still get the pump to the lowest spot in the sump area. I had to cut the internal fuel pickup hardline in the tank so I had room for the pump. It was a bitch trying to get my Dremel into a 3.25" hole in the tank.

EE2-F1-C93-C672-45-CA-9-E0-B-208140-D7-A6-BE.jpg

AB475-A9-E-C48-E-44-AD-A74-F-5-E00-A7268-AAC.jpg

DEFD631-F-32-DD-419-C-8557-EF1572-BAAB83.jpg

Also, test-fitting this exhaust header. It's from JT Outfitters and it's already giving me headaches. It doesn't have eyelets for bolts/studs. So you have to hold it in place while you try to thread the bolt/stud into the head. I assume it will be even more complicated with the intake manifold too. Anybody have any suggestions? What gasket should I use?

9359-AF4-E-10-D2-41-D5-873-B-BF29864-A6-F36.jpg

I was able to get my ARB dual compressor mounted yesterday. It fits practically perfectly in the heater blower spot.

7-C2-F82-D0-A4-CA-4-DE5-B58-A-DBC6310084-A8.jpg

Although it looks really tight, it’s not touching anywhere.

Teaser of my H55F 5-speed and 60 series twin-stick split case (with 4:1 low) from @orangefj45!

04581-C5-A-D82-A-4-E57-ADD3-00-D62-EDCEEED.jpg

Small progress update. Plumbed an Aeromotive Phantom fuel bulkhead in my new fuel tank for the Holley Sniper setup. It was really tricky to avoid the fuel level float, the internal baffles in the tank, and still get the pump to the lowest spot in the sump area. I had to cut the internal fuel pickup hardline in the tank so I had room for the pump. It was a bitch trying to get my Dremel into a 3.25" hole in the tank.

EE2-F1-C93-C672-45-CA-9-E0-B-208140-D7-A6-BE.jpg

AB475-A9-E-C48-E-44-AD-A74-F-5-E00-A7268-AAC.jpg

DEFD631-F-32-DD-419-C-8557-EF1572-BAAB83.jpg

Also, test-fitting this exhaust header. It's from JT Outfitters and it's already giving me headaches. It doesn't have eyelets for bolts/studs. So you have to hold it in place while you try to thread the bolt/stud into the head. I assume it will be even more complicated with the intake manifold too. Anybody have any suggestions? What gasket should I use?

9359-AF4-E-10-D2-41-D5-873-B-BF29864-A6-F36.jpg

The intake manifold and header flanges will be different thicknesses and a pain to get tight. Rather than use half washers like a lot here, I took both manifolds to an old school machine shop and they machined the exhaust header to use Belmont washers with the intake. I used a remflex gasket and don’t anticipate any leaks. The remflex is a hot topic here.

The intake manifold and header flanges will be different thicknesses and a pain to get tight. Rather than use half washers like a lot here, I took both manifolds to an old school machine shop and they machined the exhaust header to use Belmont washers with the intake. I used a remflex gasket and don’t anticipate any leaks. The remflex is a hot topic here.

Great minds think alike. I took my intake and exhaust to the machine shop to get them machined identical.

What are Belmont washers? I think I need to oversize the Toyota washers so I get more “bite” on both the intake and exhaust flanges.

I’m definitely using the Remflex gasket.

Great minds think alike. I took my intake and exhaust to the machine shop to get them machined identical.

What are Belmont washers? I think I need to oversize the Toyota washers so I get more “bite” on both the intake and exhaust flanges.

I’m definitely using the Remflex gasket.

The Belmont washer is a constant tension washer. I placed them behind the regular washers.

The Belmont washer is a constant tension washer. I placed them behind the regular washers.

Is a Belmont washer similar to a wave washer?

Whoops, they are called Belleville washers. It’s been awhile since I installed them. They are cupped and pretty thick. Iirc they don’t require a lot of torque.

Great patina rig, off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more about the H55F/Split case. Is that a drum brake on the back of the split case? I need to talk to Georg, I thought those were unobtainum now.

Great patina rig, off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more about the H55F/Split case. Is that a drum brake on the back of the split case? I need to talk to Georg, I thought those were unobtainum now.

Yup, drum brake on the back of the H55F. I went ahead and splurged and bought it with the kit since Georg had a few in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom