Builds 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, drum brake on the back of the H55F. I went ahead and splurged and bought it with the kit since Georg had a few in stock.
That's good to know, changes a few ideas I had. Working on getting my patina rig home, likely next weekend. Trying to decide between keeping it old school or going all in with the Cummins R2.8, H55F and Split case rebuild/twin stick like you are doing. I've suffered from arms races before, trying to proceed calmly on this one! You're all in, I like it, keep up the good work.

That's good to know, changes a few ideas I had. Working on getting my patina rig home, likely next weekend. Trying to decide between keeping it old school or going all in with the Cummins R2.8, H55F and Split case rebuild/twin stick like you are doing. I've suffered from arms races before, trying to proceed calmly on this one! You're all in, I like it, keep up the good work.

Haha! Actually this is my "reserved" mode (you should check out my previous 1993 80 series build). I really wanted to do an R2.8 and full resto/paint. But I can always add R2.8 later to the H55F.

Last edited:
40 looks great. Mods are coming along nicely too. Although I really shouldn’t follow this thread...you’re giving me too many ideas for my red ‘76! Ha.

I am jealous of the pop out side glass that 9/76 and newer models came factory with. I’ve often wondered if I could upgrade to those? I know SOR makes a sliding version, but I prefer the stock look.

Last edited:
A PS conversion is definitely in my foreseeable future too. I can turn my steering wheel 2" back and forth before the steering box even engages. It's toast; looking forward to ditching it. 50+mph gets a little squirrely.

You plan on going with a complete PS kit or sourcing the parts individually? I keep going back and forth myself...

A PS conversion is definitely in my foreseeable future too. I can turn my steering wheel 2" back and forth before the steering box even engages. It's toast; looking forward to ditching it. 50+mph gets a little squirrely.

You plan on going with a complete PS kit or sourcing the parts individually? I keep going back and forth myself...

I’m still undecided on my PS setup. I’ve heard the 80 series pump is the way to go.

Dang! You don't half-ass this stuff do you?
I'm not well versed on 40's, but it sure does look like the rear axle could use about an inch of movement straight back.

Here are a few photos from when I finished the lift install and took the truck to the lake.

E42-E8-DA0-619-D-42-E1-8767-F0-E5983-CED65.jpg

B2-A3-B9-C4-898-E-4-C1-F-9-A1-A-80-AC84-FDA7-E7.jpg

4-A3-C477-F-202-B-4-E89-A43-D-E67547-DCFB10.jpg

I still need to finish the rear axle air locker before I can start on resealing the motor and reassembly.

Last edited:
Looks great!

yeah.^^ The white wheels and bigger shoes made a heck of a difference.

I had a couple hours this afternoon to clean the garage and wrench on the Cruiser. I was able to get the ARB mini air tank mounted on the passenger-side frame rail. I still need to run the air lines. I used a set of stainless steel M8 rivnuts. I was able to take advantage of an existing hole in the frame, so I only had to drill the second hole in the frame for the other rivnut.

96-B5-D9-BC-82-E0-40-E9-AD7-A-F3079-B3-F2791.jpg

171-A49-DB-A4-E6-40-E6-9-BC1-B2-E86-F4-D3930.jpg

I still want to convert my rear tube bumper into another air tank for filling tires, but the mini tank needed to be mounted either way.
BDF5-B18-A-E18-F-4-EB0-BF82-F3091518-F86-A.jpg

That's all for now.

Sweet cruiser! This is the beautiful thing about these rigs, you can turn them into whatever suits your style/use/application.

Looks awesome by the lake! My personal taste (purist) is what it originally looked like, gray factory color on wheels, stock height, ready for war.

Great pics!

I needed to replace the suspension becuase it was sagging, but couldn't find a stock-height replacement. What do you recommend?

Great minds think alike. I took my intake and exhaust to the machine shop to get them machined identical.

What are Belmont washers? I think I need to oversize the Toyota washers so I get more “bite” on both the intake and exhaust flanges.

I’m definitely using the Remflex gasket.

Watch this video on washers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom