Builds 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a good plan.
Yeah, probably could use a knuckle job for sure. Not that hard, just messy. First thing I'd do is pop that top off. That will help with cooling things off a little bit.

Rims I could go either color but I like how the white ties in with the hardtop and bezel. Are you going 33x10.50x15 I assume since you are staying with factory rims?

As for lockers, if you are thinking 70 series at all, go whole hog on both of them and get OEM cable lockers. :cool: Any reason you aren't considering ARB's? You wouldn't have to source an axle that way.

Yes, 33x10.5x15 tires.

I prefer the Harrop e-lockers because I think they're simpler and more reliable. But that was before I knew about the full float axles. Does anyone make a full float front axle for the FJ40?

It's probably easier to just run ARB air lockers.

Yes, 33x10.5x15 tires.

I prefer the Harrop e-lockers because I think they're simpler and more reliable. But that was before I knew about the full float axles. Does anyone make a full float front axle for the FJ40?

It's probably easier to just run ARB air lockers.

Front is already full floating design. I've had OEM E-lockers on a few rigs, and ARB's on 4 rigs. The only one I've ever had a problem with has been the OEM E-lockers. 90% plus problems with ARB are from bad installation. I'm running ARB's on my BJ74 right now that are nearing 20 years old. The only problem I have is I cracked the air line when installing the engine. ARB is sending ferrules to fix it right now for free which is awesome customer service on a part I didn't buy on a really old product. Sure it's a little more hassle dealing with the compressor, but ARB's are in use all over the world. Some people do have problems, but by in large, the issues are with installation.

Unless you really want a rear full float and Harrop E-lockers, I'd stick with ARB. Full float definitely has it's advantages, but there is nothing wrong with the land cruiser semi-float, especially on a light wheeler on 33's. My BJ74 has a full float rear end and it's pretty sweet factory setup, but I would have no issues with semi-float. I wheeled pretty hard for years on 35's and 37's with factory semi-float and ARB's.

Sounds like a good plan.
Yeah, probably could use a knuckle job for sure. Not that hard, just messy. First thing I'd do is pop that top off. That will help with cooling things off a little bit.

Rims I could go either color but I like how the white ties in with the hardtop and bezel. Are you going 33x10.50x15 I assume since you are staying with factory rims?

As for lockers, if you are thinking 70 series at all, go whole hog on both of them and get OEM cable lockers. :cool: Any reason you aren't considering ARB's? You wouldn't have to source an axle that way.

Believe part of a axle search would be for a hand brake for a H55F upgrade. Better clearance not having to deal with a brake drum on the back of the transfer case. Besides the torque tube the fuel tank sits on the transmission cover which needs to be modified for a five speed.

I'm also looking at a Holley Sniper EFI conversion.

Sniper.jpg

I just PM'd member @Downey to hopefully get ahold of one of his install kits that includes an adapter plate and throttle linkage!

DSCN8957.jpg

Believe part of a axle search would be for a hand brake for a H55F upgrade. Better clearance not having to deal with a brake drum on the back of the transfer case. Besides the torque tube the fuel tank sits on the transmission cover which needs to be modified for a five speed.

Agreed. Rear axle parking brake would be nice.

There is also this option

There is also this option

I saw that kit as well, but didn’t see much feedback about it. Is it better than Holley Sniper Kit?

Sorry sent the wrong link. I will be going with the Holley sniper kit as well. Meant to forward this link.

While the suspension is sagging a little, you can drive it around quite a bit like that. I would check the steering and brakes first. If you are using stock birfields then the warn hubs will hold up fine. I would also replace hoses and check for oil and Coolant leaks. Then check fuel and ignition system.

While the suspension is sagging a little, you can drive it around quite a bit like that. I would check the steering and brakes first. If you are using stock birfields then the warn hubs will hold up fine. I would also replace hoses and check for oil and Coolant leaks. Then check fuel and ignition system.

I've thought about that. I figured I could wait on the suspension, but they just look so badass with a 2.5" lift and 33 inch BFGs. Since I know it needs it anyway, I decided to splurge on the suspension. I'll do the knuckles as maintenance. And if I'm going to do the knuckles, I know I want Aisin hubs, so I'll do all of that at the same time.

I will probably wait on the other items, like the Holley Sniper kit. I know it has a small coolant leak and a small oil leak. I'm going to spend my time trying to diagnose that while I wait on suspension/hubs/birfs/knuckles.

Do you have a list or something of what was repaired/replaced and when?

I do have a list. Seller sent me all the invoices and receipts. He has only owned it about 18 months when all of the work occurred. Fully rebuilt motor, resealed trans, resealed t-case, full brake job, etc. He did not touch the suspension though. Or the axles (aside from changing the fluid). Driveshafts could probably use some grease too.

Are you planning on bumpers? Winch? You might not want to go with OME Light lift and go with medium. However if you use Cruiser Outfitters they should be able to guide you on which lift to choose based on what you are planning on adding.

Are you planning on bumpers? Winch? You might not want to go with OME Light lift and go with medium. However if you use Cruiser Outfitters they should be able to guide you on which lift to choose based on what you are planning on adding.

No, no bumpers or winch. I like the factory look. And I had a winch on my 80 series that I never used.

I might tow a small pop-up trailer though.

Sorry sent the wrong link. I will be going with the Holley sniper kit as well. Meant to forward this link.

Thanks for the heads-up on this kit. I ended up purchasing over the weekend. Cam was great to deal with. Lots of updates coming soon!

Very best year and color. Get brakes and suspension/steering done then drive it and have fun before having it apart for months/years.

Very best year and color. Get brakes and suspension/steering done then drive it and have fun before having it apart for months/years.

I have come to realize that I have just as much fun working on them as driving them!

Finally caught this thread. Cool to see you grab one after all the questions you’ve been throwing at the forum. Very much looking forward to your build...

Finally caught this thread. Cool to see you grab one after all the questions you’ve been throwing at the forum. Very much looking forward to your build...

Thank you for all of your help, Joel! And let me know on the air intake.

Small update - The truck needed suspension work when I purchased it. The rear was sagging really bad.
5650-D495-52-F5-4-AE4-BF4-C-C65-A87-CC2-D03.jpg

This week I installed a full OME 2.5" suspension lift, 33" BFG KM3s, and had the wheels powdercoated white. Plus new tie rod ends.

Big thanks to @cruiseroutfit!

C01-B58-B7-9-E9-B-44-B9-84-C8-6-B60-C8-B7-DAE2.jpg

D478-D464-2309-4-EDE-BEA3-0-AF3-B90-F1-FE2.jpg

Still waiting to get the spare back from powdercoat. And an alignment and State inspection. Hopefully I can get it all wrapped up before the weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom