Builds 1968 FJ40 Build Page "the rocky road" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You missed a big un'...Bout 3' in the mountains...

IMG_1444.jpg

Man I had 3-4 ft in my yard today, spent the whole day digging out!

Some tech--->the 4Runner isn't too bad in the snow, needs better shoes.

1453669333108.jpg

So today I finally got to working on the rear heater that I got off ebay for $50, it still seemed a little pricey for me but it was complete and it looked rusty but not broken.
I soaked the heater core in dish soap for a few hours.

24566886926_359a23ca91_b.jpg

24566885736_f2e67ab7c1_b.jpg

I elected to use solder and heat shink to avoid any connection issues and corrosion down the road...Also I only had several short pieces of wire, and nothing long enough...go figure...
24566884326_2fececdbee_b.jpg

I didn't bring my OEM Pewter Spray either, and Since most things that were pewter are now black I just went with black on the top and silver on the core. I tried to straighten out a few dents and bends in the top air diverter.
24297504160_0bd2cc9ea0_b.jpg

And here is the final product, Obviously there are plenty of bends in the top but it wasn't $150 either. My center console barely cleared the top, but it still hit one of the mounting bolts to the console. I elected to use only one mounting bolt (on the right) to shift the heater back just enough, so it cleared the console mounting bolt.
25157580475_fe32a81140_b.jpg

8482286176_c8230024c2_b.jpg

Heres an old shot, but its cool that All these original knobs work now, except the Choke and Throttle.

This heater is pretty nice, it is so quiet that I didn't know it was actually running in low and I can barely hear it in high with the engine off. I used @Coolerman's site to take apart the fan motor and free the bushing, and he put it best, "I always thought the rear heater was one of those cool things that Toyota had put in the cruisers." and yes I had to have one too, just finally found one a little more affordable.

Last edited:
$50 for the rear heater is a great deal... Cores go for 3x that at times

It does help a lot with heat in the rear

Came out good !

Damn, that is what I told him! I was outbid on ebay on a heater, it went for better than $175.

$50 for the rear heater is a great deal... Cores go for 3x that at times

It does help a lot with heat in the rear

Came out good !
Yea, I have never seen one go for so cheap, it was back in July, so I just waited to work on it, I was honestly expecting a leak or something with it being that cheap. Yes it definitely helps, it seems like it will help with the fogging up windows on cold rainy days.

ebay for $50[/QUOT

Great score..I kept missing Ebay deals and finally broke down and ordered one from cruiser parts...Great to have a little heat/air circulation in the tub...If you can find a spare motor I'd grab it for the spares shelf...Howz the training going?

Since I am using 5/8" Heater hoses for my front and rear heaters instead of the factory hard lines, I had to use step down adapters for the rear heater. It was leaking and 1/2" hose fits much better. I really should fix the front heater core connections too, but it doesn't seem to be leaking now.

Today I started messing around on the cruiser and ended up taking the whole dash apart. I have always wanted to repaint the dash, but always assumed it would take too long to take all of the switches and dash pads off. It turns out that it was an easier task than I thought. The biggest part of it was unbolting the left front leg of the roll cage so I could back out the windshield dash screws ( the left one hits the roll bar when it is just about out). Other than that everything came out pretty quickly. I also wired up the dashpad light that I got a while back ( I don't think a '68 was supposed to have one?? but my dash pad has the cut out for it).
24530729513_970fe5443c_b.jpg

24789868549_58bc341fd0_b.jpg

I used a few coats of flat black plasti-dip on the dashpads to freshen them up.

25064309951_7530b61175_b.jpg

as soon as I got the paint on some moisture and cooler weather moved in making the paint stay tacky over night. As impatient as I am, I was able to let it setup all night; however, it was still tacky in the morning, and I was really careful while installing a few of the switches.

25079307211_5618bdd365_b.jpg

The original color of the dash didn't match the rest of the cruiser and there were a few scratches and rust spots that needed to be cleaned up. For a quick job I think it turned out pretty nice.
24876913530_ccc4f08796_b.jpg

Now I just need to clean up the black paint on the ash tray and put the hub sticker on the passenger side.

Looks good! You did that in a flash.

Yea, man, I have been staring at that for too long, and wanted to fix it, I think it actually turned out nice for a quick touch-up. The windshield bolt mounts are pulling the welds out, so when I am home and can drill and weld them, I will. It definitely looks much better, I still need to do the windshield frame, but that will require pulling the top then the glass.... I drove it to go study this morning, and haven't gotten a chance to adjust the knobs so that they face the correct direction yet.

Working on something simple like a 40 is probably a good break from the studying! I spent most of my Sat night doing a quick clean up of the garage. It was to the point where I couldn't find things when I needed them.

So I haven't really updated the thread alot since I have been down in MS. I have been pretty busy and stressed out when I am not busy... here is some of the fun over the past year....
24881041894_44e6a0544a_b.jpg

25511622745_854ff2efbf_b.jpg

25511613095_2a2b134317_b.jpg

25511607225_b88cfbb600_b.jpg

25144039429_de06919914_b.jpg

Below is another casualty of the steering shaft, it is the water temp sender wire, and the steering shaft torn it in half and caused a short about 6" up from the break, after a few attempts at soldering and breaking out the multimeter I was able to isolate the open and cut it out. I have now secured all wires and cables out of the path of the steering shaft, and the bolts on the rag joint (which seem to be the culprit).

25215952280_6e31efdc21_b.jpg

Today I also found the cause of a pretty loud rattle at the base of the window frame. It seams the PO replaced a broken hinge pin with a carriage bolt, I had to drill halfway through before I could hammer it out with a punch.
25215953040_130581fb3e_b.jpg

I was able to clean up a little bit of the mess I made with wires during the installation of the TBI and the gauges. I routed a few wires to the bundles and condensed the amount of wiring as much as possible . I also installed new cowl vent drain tubes from @Racer65 I was also able to install the new Champion radiator after years of the leaky crappy eBay aluminum radiator I had.
25215961370_f8dfc612f3_b.jpg

And finally I took a better picture of the interior after all the recent work. I was able to raise the door hinges and adjust the doors to give them a better seal at the top. they have been leaking and you could see light at the top. I also added the warn hub decal and cleaned the interior a little bit when I cleaned up the wiring. Now I just need to paint the rest of the windshield frame and powder coat the roll cage when I get a chance.
24884903513_ccb52cafd3_b.jpg

Awesome pics as usual! What is the plan for that hinge? Did you already tap a new pin in?

Is that Patagonia hat a shark?

Awesome pics as usual! What is the plan for that hinge? Did you already tap a new pin in?

Is that Patagonia hat a shark?

The window hinge pins seem to be the same as the door hinge pins, so I had the old set that I use in my half doors with me, so one of those fit in perfectly and took care of that rattle.

And yes, that is an old patagonia hat I have!

I have a Dakota digital cluster as well. LOVE IT! Enjoy and great work!

@Snowdogyyz , Bringing up an old post, but I was just messing with the Cluster today. I have the BIM for outside Temp and Compass, I don't know if you have that or not, but it has been saying the wrong direction for a year now, and after reading the instructions I just started using the opposite of what it said. Turns out the instructions are wrong, and I finally got it calibrated correctly. With that, I finally messed around with all the settings, and found out how to add Digital speed, temp, volts, and other things to the LCD display, as well as, the actual needles. After all of that, I am actually very satisfied with the cluster. I had an issue with moisture in my glove-box, which kept corroding several CAT-V cables and gibing me error messages, now that all of that is squared away, I am very happy!!!

Prior to moving down to MS, I did a short stent in Colorado. I drove out and visited friends, hiked, snowboarded, then showed up at work. The original plan was to drive the cruiser out there, but I decided against it. I didn't want to have any issues on the long trip out there so I drove my S-10. That worked out really nice! Two axles, bearings, seals, and a few quarts of GL-5 later, I was on my way (well...kinda)!
24897355304_e54c06c27c_b.jpg

Then:
On the trip down here last April I was running into moisture issues with my Dakota Digital cluster. With a freshly installed 350, I was concerned with monitoring the temps and oil pressure on the 13+ hour trip down here (at 80*F and loaded up with 500lbs of my personal effects). The cluster would spit out an error code and not display any indications. Needless to say, I was stressed and pissed at this expensive thing that didn't work.
25160346409_73a0876598_b.jpg

After a lot of troubleshooting and calls to tech support, I was able to finally find the issue. I think I had mentioned it in an earlier post, but I found corrosion on the CAT-V cable that connects the two units.

Also, Here are a few more photos from the past year. I have met a lot of cool cruiserheads down here in Columbus, Bot my picture, but I me and talked to this guy for a while, what a nice rig!!!

fj75lsvfront-jpg.634141

There are a few more pictures of his rig here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/freshly-restored-fj75-at-gsmtr.593235/

I also ran into a fellow cruiser owner with a 4BT and NV4500, pretty sweet ride!
25232278580_7ae1a5c752_b.jpg

24897363224_e4477fbb5a_b.jpg

If any of you guys are on here, shoot me a message, I have been so busy its tough to stay in touch.

I don't really have a lot of new progress on the cruiser these days, ive been preoccupied with work. I did remember that I didn't have all the washers and pieces for the passenger side vent window, which makes it unusable, so I went ahead and spent the extra money and placed an order with SOR, more to continue..... Also I ran into Kerry again a few weeks ago and got a picture of the cruisers together.
26677515654_85a14e7502_c.jpg

26677517474_6099fef206_c.jpg
27214456551_d9963d26c5_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom