Builds Well looky here! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I just got back from picking up my second FJ40. I know I have the desease because I'm not done with the resto on the first one...;p

But this one fellas, I could NOT pass up.
  1. 1976 FJ40 77k
  2. NO Motor.
  3. 4 speed with 20k since rebiult tranny and transfer
  4. NO RUST on the tub floor/fender wells
  5. Rusty rockers and a spot in the right rear corner
  6. Overall a solid rig but in definate need of a resto (sitting indoors for 12 years) last 6 mo outdoors in the Washington weather.
  7. This has a DEALER installed "desert package" which includes a dealer installed 4 inch lift, and an extra cooling fan. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
  8. All this for a grand total of $700.00 big ones...
And now the pics...:cheers:
76fj402.jpg
76fj403.jpg
76fj40.jpg

Oh and yes.. the bezel is upsidedown.. Im ON IT!!!

Just pre-emting the Bezel Police...

These pics were shot right after I got it to my pops place, and after a good power wash...

You lucky bastard, why can't I stumble onto something like that! Nice find.

Bezel Police is here!!!

But I see you've already got it under control. Nice find.

Sweet! Looks like an amazing find.

Got any history? Like, "where'd the engine go?"

I bought it from the second owner, who had it for over 25 years. He changed teh distributor, bought it at pep boys type place, and installed it.

While driving down the highway she completely locked up. Come to find out the distributor was the wrong one and was'nt engaging the oild pump. Since he didnt have the oil guage hooked up he had no warning.

It was completely siezed so it had to go. He pulled it and never installed a new engine. That was in 1994.

Has anyone heard of the Desert package? Was this a dealer option available through Toyota? He said it was printed on the window sticker when he bought it off the original owner.

nope its was for sure not a Toyota option, but dealer installed, just like you see new trucks on the car lots with lifts.....they had it done...and added to the 2nd sticker. Would guess if done back in 76 it was a Burbank or Rancho set of springs, maybe Dick Cepek

where/what was the extra cooling fan?

nice find! :)

Has anyone heard of the Desert package? Was this a dealer option available through Toyota? He said it was printed on the window sticker when he bought it off the original owner.

I don't know where the cooling fan was mounted, but I'll get a pic of it up later today. See if anyone recognizes it. I would imagine it was mounted up near the radiator...?

Wow, great find. Some folks have all the luck. Look forward to seeing the progress. Looks like you could literally drop in the motor and drive this one while you restoring your other rig. :)

You lucky bastard, why can't I stumble onto something like that! Nice find.

I keep a CLOSE eye on craigslist everyday. Just incase something like this pops up on it... Thats where I found it.

I was the first person to email him. He received over 30 cash offers sight unseen. I just got lucky I guess... ;)

Good find , wana sell?
About bezel
Why does it have to be installed a certain way?
Can you give a logical answer?
I am sure there is one.

Good find , wana sell?
About bezel
Why does it have to be installed a certain way?
Can you give a logical answer?
I am sure there is one.

The thick part goes on top. That's the way they rolled out of the factory and the way you find them oriented in the brochures and what not. Also, it's just immoral to have an upside down bezel.

edit: It was a little more obvious which side was up on the earlier bezels that actually had 'Land Cruiser' stamped into the thick part. Those were the good ole days...back before anyone needed the Bezel Orientation Police...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom