Trip Report - 3rd Annual 100s in the Hills (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! I'd love to join you guys someday.

Ironton Campground.

Clear Lake
On Friday I Gunned for Stan up to Clear Lake. What a perfect family run location; a beautiful mountain lake in the heart of the San Juan’s. It was a great trail for an introduction to the event. I think the kids caught most of the fish.

Wonder why I didn't catch any fish...

Ophir/Imogene
On Saturday Jonathan and I split the Imogene group up. I led the group over Ophir Pass and into Telluride, thanks for the tail support Tim. It is a great way to get between Silverton and Telluride. We had good views for most of the run, with a little rain at the end. After heading through the town of Ophir, we made our way into Telluride. Everyone split up for lunch and checked out the town. Blackwater, Cowboy59 and I had a great lunch at Floradora Saloon. I had the BBB burger, which I recommend (Blackened Bacon, Blue Cheese).

After lunch we met DanInDenver at the Imogene trailhead off of Oak St. Unfortunately we lost Blackwater at the gas station before the trail to a leaking steering rack. He had a drive all the way back to Arkansas, so understandably he didn’t want to risk more damage. As we headed up the trail, we had some light rain, but the low clouds on the mountains provided quite a backdrop. We looked down on Telluride and could hear the Jazz Festival going on below. As we gained altitude we started getting into the clouds. The visibility just before and at the summit was near zero, but we stopped for pictures anyways. Periodic breaks in the clouds provided some pretty cool scenery.
We reached the end of the trail outside of Ouray and headed back to camp. As the Directors got the raffle items organized and made the grab bags, everyone else began getting the potluck dinner together. I was amazed at not only the amount of food, but how good everything was.

Last edited:
Black Bear
Sunday was the groups last trail day and I led the first group of ten up Black Bear Pass with Chris as tail Gunner. We were ahead of the storm that was building, so we had some awesome views for most of the trail. I really enjoyed seeing the amazement of people taking pictures along the way who had never been to this area before. The San Juan Mountains are just as incredible as the first time I saw them and honestly, pictures do not do them justice.
As we made our way down the trail, I would park and go back up the trail to spot people over some of the tight sections with loose rock, especially down the steps. I’ll never forget walking back down to my truck and someone saying “Dude, I think I just “messed” my pants”. We made it down to Telluride and everyone went their own ways.
Bluecruiser, Cowboy59 and I visited the Telluride Brewing Company before meeting the other Co-Directors jonharis and paflytyer for the Directors Run back to camp.

What an awesome trip. It was really hard going back to work today…

Telluride

Last edited:
Photo Uploads

We are wishing we were back in Colorado already! It was a long trek back to VA, but it gave us lots of time to discuss and plan for next year's event.

As promised, I wanted to get some information up to access a my Google Drive for photo sharing. I discussed with a few others at camp, and my girlfriend (the tech savvy one) suggested this as the best route. Hopefully if everyone jumps on board, we can get one massive and awesome photo catalog going from every angle along the trail!

Here is the link to access: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1qKj8gppUWUNmVXYzNYMzNIVms&usp=sharing

From there, you should be able to upload for everyone's access.

I've put up just a few that I've sorted through from the first day... should be good to test the waters. Send me a PM with any feedback/issues and we will trouble shoot from there.

We cant thank everyone enough for all that you did to not only organize, but also show us East Coast Greenhorns the way. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Just uploaded my first batch as well. Thanks for setting this up!

I'm going to start in editing GoPro videos later this week. Hope to post a few by Sunday.

Clear Lake run on friday. Nice intro to the area!

A few photos from the friday morning run up to Clear Lake. Very nice day with a strange but beautiful rainbow at the top!
Lunch, fishing and running around with the kids near the clear water.

DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0305.jpg

Friday Clear Lake

The views and vivid colors of this whole area are amazing!

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0316.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

Clear Lake

My son had fun messing with sticks, turning rocks and splashing mud around and hovering the fire! You can also spot little critters all over!

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0388_2.jpg

DSCN0390.jpg

DSCN0393.jpg

Teaser Photo

We just got back to San Diego. Ouray is an amazing place. More to come later in the week.

I'll throw a few on tonight before we get back on the road for South Carolina. Again I cannot stress how much we enjoyed the event and the pictures of course in no way do it justice. I'm trying to mostly post pics of other folks and if you want the original file emailed just pm me.

Last batch, gotta make it most of the way through TX tomorrow!

Fantastic event! Lots of: "Wow!" "Look!" and "Steep". I have some more photos to add, but here are a couple:
The night of the potluck...

This was the greatest way to kick off "real" wheelin with my truck! From asking stupid questions like "what does the center diff really do" to looking a real idiot trying to fly fish, I still had the best time being noob! This is probably the greatest group of people I have come across outside the military, and even then...you guys probably have a better rap sheet! Thanks again the the Godfathers for getting this together. Stan and Slee...thanks for spotting for this new guy! That wall was FOR REAL! Jon's YouTube video doesn't do it even a little bit of justice...his truck is either super awesome or he's a great driver...I didn't get on any rides with him so I will lean towards the truck ;)

image-2061417334.jpg

Final mileage from trip

image-899925829.jpg

Got home tonight and it was still this hot!

image-530986196.jpg

Holy gas batman! Last gas up about 15 miles from home.

image-3315766205.jpg

Elijah using Stan's pointers on the Arkansas river in Cotopaxi.

image-3400325210.jpg

Parking lot at the bottom of the wall

image-1697305731.jpg

Obligatory "line of trucks in the mirror" pic

image-707828984.jpg

Picture if everyone getting pics of trucks. I didn't do the climbing all over the place to get pics. Too much altitude for this fat kid!

image-2974891713.jpg

Pictures and videos will never do this place justice.

image-3678764223.jpg

Crossing Arkansas line...BOOOOO!!!!

image-2061417334.jpg

image-899925829.jpg

image-530986196.jpg

image-3315766205.jpg

image-3400325210.jpg

image-1697305731.jpg

image-707828984.jpg

image-2974891713.jpg

image-3678764223.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked through my video clips, have about 250gb worth of stuff, all pretty solid.

The video from Black Bear was by far the best (sunny day), and it turned out great. Once I get it edited I'll put it up on youtube.

This was the greatest way to kick off "real" wheelin with my truck! From asking stupid questions like "what does the center diff really do" to looking a real idiot trying to fly fish, I still had the best time being noob! This is probably the greatest group of people I have come across outside the military, and even then...you guys probably have a better rap sheet! Thanks again the the Godfathers for getting this together. Stan and Slee...thanks for spotting for this new guy! That wall was FOR REAL! Jon's YouTube video doesn't do it even a little bit of justice...his truck is either super awesome or he's a great driver...I didn't get on any rides with him so I will lean towards the truck ;)

You did great Aaron. It's a whole different game when there is mud and water running down the wall. You'll drive right up that thing next year.

This has been a crazy summer with all the rain we've had. We needed it, but 3 days of blue skies for this event would have been ok too.

If bluecruiser had trouble on the wall, and almost rolled trying, then you know it was difficult.

Favorite of mine from the Black Bear run...

Turning that first corner during the descent was kind of iffy for a flatlander!

IMG_4423.jpg

I have so many pictures I'm not sure where to even begin!

I have dreamed of a trip like this since 2008. I can't thank those who put this together enough. The trip was awesome, scenery was incredible, wheeling was fabulous, and the people at the event were top notch. I will be coming out for next year, I'd like to see this event grow.

4th 100 in the Hills here I come!

See you all in 361 days

-Nick

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_6941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom