Show me you backup camera with rear bumber / tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to install a backup camera, but I have a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and basket (4x4 Labs), and I am not sure of best location

Can you post you back up camera location and mounting ?

Thanks !

I don't have a swing out, etc, but if I did my camera would go into the spot where the rear washer nozzle resides. Scrap the nozzle, put in the camera.

Here’s what I did...

673CFF97-8D5E-4AFB-85FE-BE4FEF433B0E.jpeg

If you can’t see it, here’s a closer look

85EC08F2-A0F6-4567-9C37-27B28D73563D.jpeg

I drilled a hole through the tire mount to run the wire. Here’s a view from the backside.

220356B8-FE99-4855-9073-51191528AD8E.jpeg

Then I ran the plate lamp and backup wires together and drilled a hole and used a grommet to protect the wires and give it a clean finished look.

A78626D1-B549-43AC-835A-BFCB4FCDE7BD.jpeg

The camera doesn’t necessarily need to be mounted dead center to the vehicle line. But the severely OCD among us may cringe. Any good backup camera will have adjustable parking guidelines to overcome this.

3AA5117F-4CAE-498B-97A3-8C6F2C0156CA.jpeg

Once adjusted, the guidelines are a bit off-center in the view screen, but they line up perfectly to the parking spot lines.

I welded up a little mount using scrap for my camera. I tried to get is as close to center as possible without he latch blocking he view.
It gets the job done but I should have angled it down more because the guide lines float up a little too much.

71BF4B41-9B6E-4AD6-8C0C-D690EAD45891.png

I’ll play, I’m using the Garmin BC 30 Backup Camera that Bluetooth connects to the Garmin GPS. Camera is mounted to my swing out below the tire in the inward support.
Guide lines are fully adjustable. Mine are set to where green is the distance I need to open the swing outs, yellow is the edge of my spare tire, red is the bumper.

3E414DB4-C942-48FE-86AB-A9103E41011F.png

AD3168DA-40B7-4692-BECA-87530A673033.png

3A5960A1-2726-4364-AF7E-ACAEA2825CF2.png

Here’s what I did...

I drilled a hole through the tire mount to run the wire. Here’s a view from the backside.

Then I ran the plate lamp and backup wires together and drilled a hole and used a grommet to protect the wires and give it a clean finished look.

The camera doesn’t necessarily need to be mounted dead center to the vehicle line. But the severely OCD among us may cringe. Any good backup camera will have adjustable parking guidelines to overcome this.
Once adjusted, the guidelines are a bit off-center in the view screen, but they line up perfectly to the parking spot lines.

which camera is that? your picture quality is great. mine. not so much

Found a wider picture of the rear without all the junk on the back to be able to better see the camera location right above the corner of the license plate.

C6940EE0-A2CE-47AE-95A4-BA6550EC17DE.jpeg

which camera is that? your picture quality is great. mine. not so much

It’s not the greatest camera, but it’s fine for backing up. It came with my pioneer system, but you can buy it stand alone on amazon.

Pioneer NDBC8 Universal CMOS Surface Mount Backup Camera Amazon product ASIN B00XBDBQ8S

I love my rear bumper, it has been great. Very well built and has put up with a good amount of abuse from me from the rubicon to Johnson valley. Mine is 2nd gen prototype. It was originally painted and after years of use is currently at the powder coater’s regaining its luster. Can’t wait to get it back.

Too bad Paradise burned down. Don’t know if he’ll ever make any more.

8A000F30-4738-4375-80BD-68C0DB4469C1.png

1BA04D80-0155-4D7B-AEC7-A224FB4185E8.jpeg

87089733-CCD4-4CDE-BFF7-FB8CEC80790B.jpeg

35D5BCC5-A9EB-4DD9-8EFC-0A44EDD57467.jpeg

Here’s what I did...

Great install but is that an anti-skid mat around your shifter? Looks clean, my area is scratched up, might be copying this.

Great install but is that an anti-skid mat around your shifter? Looks clean, my area is scratched up, might be copying this.

Yes. It’s just some extra tool drawer liner I had laying around. It does look a lot better than having nothing there.

Wire leaves the body in the rear quarter panel then goes up through a hole in the bumper along with my license plate light wiring and jumps into my swing out arm where it is internally wired to the end.
374F78C9-D8B0-451A-A16D-A979202D6EFA.jpeg

THANKS for all the ideas and great installs. I am not really a fan of the cables on the swing arm. Eventually those will catch something or I will hit the camera

I am playing with the idea of a flush mount camera right here (red mark). I though there was going to be a lot of interference with the tire, but I used my phone to test and it actually looks pretty good. This way all the cables are completely hidden and install will be pretty neat , and dead center

My head unit is on its way. I have a spare license plate cam that I can use to test my idea.

Inked2019-05-15 07.55.05_LI.jpg

American Adventure Labs makes a backup camera mount that is really sweet. It is designed to work with the factory Jeep camera but it has a couple inches of room and you could probably make it fit aftermarket cameras and mount it anywhere. I think it is a pretty sweet set up.
Jeep JL Backup Camera Holder - American Adventure Lab
IMG_20190128_090016-1067x800.jpg

I've got a labs bumper and just shifted my plate and camera to the side and added some plate lights. Tapped power off of OEM plate lights. I only have a 2 can carrier though so the plate isn't blocked.

20190513_145252.jpg

Well, all done ! I went with the flush mount. There is some tire interference, but not enough to bother me. Plus I love the clean install and all the cables protected and inside panels

Here is what it looks like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom