Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Make sure to check the intake manifold for a crack below where the carb sits.

I disassembled the I/E manifold last night and didn't see any cracks. That said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the intake from my spare engine in my build up because it looks to be in better condition. I'll have the machine shop inspect for cracks and resurface them, then I'll probably get the exhaust manifold JetHot coated mostly for appearance purposes. Will run a tap into all bolt holes and use all new hardware for reassembly.

Will post pics tonight.

Speaking of cracks. I cleaned my case up last week when I disassembled it and did not see this. Fast forward to last night I am showing my dad what I was doing and explaining the extra braces and why it’s needed. Saying it’s to keep the case from cracking in this spot. Wtf this wasn’t there last week. Hopefully one of my spare cases isn’t cracked. If not a big purchase will have to be made or I am going to do a change up.
FA9C162A-C0CF-4CBC-9EF7-DBCCE175663A.jpeg
A8422403-9B4E-4A24-8B8F-2915C0176571.jpeg

Wow a bit of hard wheeling with throttle applications and you'd really have been leaking gear oil!!!!!!
Well I think the brace was doing it’s job. Once it sat on the table for over a week without it is when the crack starting to show up.

Speaking of cracks. I cleaned my case up last week when I disassembled it and did not see this. Fast forward to last night I am showing my dad what I was doing and explaining the extra braces and why it’s needed. Saying it’s to keep the case from cracking in this spot. Wtf this wasn’t there last week. Hopefully one of my spare cases isn’t cracked. If not a big purchase will have to be made or I am going to do a change up.
View attachment 2553213View attachment 2553214
I may have a spare T case. Do you run a 4 or 3 speed case?
But yank the bandaid off and upgrade it is a good idea to. And not have to worry about it.

I may have a spare T case. Do you run a 4 or 3 speed case?
But yank the bandaid off and upgrade it is a good idea to. And not have to worry about it.
3 speed gears in a early 4 speed case. It’s more like cutting a arm or leg off for what you have to spend.

After I split the 3 speed case on my 40 I put the guts into an empty Orion case I found on ebay. Easy to do once Gary had a buddy make a couple of bushings for me.

So I came home to lights tonight! Electician finished garage today.
It is a lot brighter than the pic suggest. 12 8' LED's at 6000 lumens each!
69974C9C-F07C-4CEF-BA55-6B74A6A61916.jpeg

Last edited:
Today, I went to C & C Engine in Las Cruces, NM and asked if they could inspect my engine and resurface the manifolds and flywheel. I figure since the engine is out of the truck might as well have a pro check it out for any issues.

The old timer in there was super helpful and took me back to show me their shop and engine test bench. He told me to bring my 2F in on Monday and they’ll put it on their test bench and check all the vitals. The engine gets hooked up to a driveshaft that spins the engine so they can check compression and oil pressure and whatever else they do.

The cool thing is that he said we’ll set up an appointment next week and he’ll do all the testing with me there. I’m excited to have my engine fully checked out and see how they do it.

The engine was rebuilt 10 years ago and only has 5500mi on it since then. I don’t expect any issues but you never know.

Last edited:
If the shop doesn’t have a problem with it, would you mind recording some footage and sharing it?

Today, I went to C & C Engine in Las Cruces, NM and asked if they could inspect my engine and resurface the manifolds and flywheel. I figure since the engine is out of the truck might as well have a pro check it out for any issues.

The old timer in there was super helpful and took me back to show me their shop and engine test bench. He told me to bring my 2F in on Monday and they’ll put it on their test bench and check all the vitals. The engine gets hooked up to a driveshaft that spins the engine so they can check compression and oil pressure and whatever else they do.

The cool thing is that he said we’ll set up an appointment next week and he’ll do all the testing with me there. I’m excited to have my engine fully checked out and see how they do it.

The engine was rebuilt 10 years ago and only has 5500mi on it since then. I don’t expect any issues but you never know.

So we having a tech day there soon go christen it?
Yes! Swapping an engine to a FZJ80...haha

I do plan to have a cookout in the next few months. My buddy is going to have his smoker over here and we are going to cook up some meats. I will let you guys know the date.

Yes! Swapping an engine to a FZJ80...haha

I do plan to have a cookout in the next few months. My buddy is going to have his smoker over here and we are going to cook up some meats. I will let you guys know the date.
Let me know when he is setting up. I can get some briskets to you

Let me know when he is setting up. I can get some briskets to you
It is currently at his house about 400 yards away! It is just a matter of towing it over here! Just a couple of pics...

as one can see he cooks for cheap beer!

2EEB459C-0353-40DE-8CFA-002B7FD1ABC7.jpeg

300666B9-DE7B-4AD2-A3F9-BCB2C11B7F90.jpeg

If the shop doesn’t have a problem with it, would you mind recording some footage and sharing it?
Sure no problem. I’ll get some pics and video. This site doesn’t support uploading of video so I’ll have to figure out way to post a link to a video.

Sure no problem. I’ll get some pics and video. This site doesn’t support uploading of video so I’ll have to figure out way to post a link to a video.
YouTube is the easiest. You can also upload it in a way that only the people that have the link can see if you didn't want to just be public to anybody

My bell housing is toast. Removed the motor mounts and swapped them onto the replacement bell housing I had in my parts stash.

I was going to scrap it but on second thought I might keep it for an engine test stand project I’m thinking about.

I did the classy thing and threw it in the back yard.

3367BD42-1B2C-4D32-9AF9-1267328315E3.jpeg

727C78C8-5BF4-4F1C-81A8-2EE4350B79E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom