Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's the California spec 76-77 carb cooling fan. I think in 78 all 40's got the cooling fan but it moved to the left fender apron where those louvers are. On mine that's where my windshield washer fluid reservoir is but that moved to the other side of the engine bay in later models. The fan works and my sensor works but it hasn't ever kicked on. I've tried 2 different controllers too so I'm going to have to bribe Senor Ed to see if he'll help me trace it down. The fan is big and ugly and I love it. I just need to get it to work. What might be happening is since I swapped out the Thermoreactor exhaust manifold for a Fed spec manifold it's not getting hot enough to trigger the sensor to close the loop. I'll need to get an IR temp gun to see about that and then see what temperature the sensor closes with a pot of water and a thermometer.
Oddly enough I was doing a little trouble shooting today on my carb fan as well. It's the only thing not working since I swapped the harness.

You might check to see if you are getting 12V at the G/W wire (ignition off) on the controller connector.

It looks like the carb fan was a USA "add-on." On both my harnesses, there is a in-line fuse holder that's about 6" from the controller connector on the G/W wire. It was wrapped in yellow tape. I think the schematic shows it at a 5A fuse.

I'm hoping it's the culprit for my fan not working but I haven't got that far yet.

Clearance for....????

Fixing the rusty front of the hood once and for all. It is a poor design where water is left to sit at a seem where the front lateral hood support flares up and leave a nice gap between it and the hood shell. There was lots of crusty rust along the 90% of it, so much so, that I was just blowing through it because it was paper thin.
This is the forever fix. Though, that may be because it will take forever...

Wow Bob! Mucho respect, you have some serious woodworking and cabinetry skills! That's really, really nice work.

Give it time Grasshopper

Thanks Jon

Some progress.
Before:
20160917_223236.jpg

After:
20160918_205240.jpg

20160918_205323.jpg

One more complex bend to go, then it's pretty straight forward.

Let's take a look. Evenings this week are free.

Sweet! I'll text you. I'm taking a few weeks of paternity leave so I should have some time.

Got the break done and bent up the last 2 bed mounts done. Now I have to finish the flat bed.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I replaced my air pump on my 1987 FJ60 about a month ago and have been chasing vacuum leaks since. This latest unconnected hose has me puzzeled. Where and what does it connect to? It is a large hose (maybe 7mm) that connects to the bottom of the red device in the picture. I put a bolt in it to stop the suction to no avail. Check out the picture, from the driver side above the inner fender.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

I replaced my air pump on my 1987 FJ60 about a month ago and have been chasing vacuum leaks since. This latest unconnected hose has me puzzeled. Where and what does it connect to? It is a large hose (maybe 7mm) that connects to the bottom of the red device in the picture. I put a bolt in it to stop the suction to no avail. Check out the picture, from the driver side above the inner fender.

View attachment 1330356

View attachment 1330357
Missed you at the swap meet.

No cruiser stuff had to remove a rotten door in the master bedroom. That was never used. Installed a window instead.
image.jpeg

I just increased my HP!!

image.jpeg

Thank you @Crusha!!

It's about time you got rid of those Jeep parts; I was embarrassed to wheel with you. I'm still embarrassed, just a little less so.

Trying to get new weather striping put on before my trip next Sunday. Found a little rust on the bottom edges of the rear doors. Should I treat these with something or spray them with something before I glue the new weather striping on? I got the striping from @Racer65. Good deal for high quality stuff.
IMG_20161023_172149658.jpg
IMG_20161023_172205255.jpg

I'd use some Rust Bullet before installation. You can buy as little as a 1/4 pint and it's available on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom