Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you forgot the welder....

I didn't want to get greedy. I've got many needs on the tool front.

Sometimes you can also order a fully loaded caliper...

Yeah, I'm going to check out the prices. They're all over the place. The brackets look like they need the pins, rubber covers. That almost takes the price to the full caliper. I have the pads.

A couple months ago, I decided to pull apart my parking brake since it didn't work and was leaking oil. I found the following problems:

1) leaking oil seal around TC output shaft
2) ridges in drum lining
3) broken bolt on drum backing plate
4) broken speedo gear housing
5) everything gooped up with old silicone

Murphy's motorsports in Warrenton machined the drum lining smooth again. Waterloo motors in Warrenton extracted the broken bolt and installed a 8 x 1.25mm helicoil. American Stripping in Manassas sandblasted and powder coated the drum and backing plate. SOR provided a rebuild kit, oil seal, speedo gear housing, and new nuts/bolts. The shaft that the oil seal goes around was smooth and unmarred, cleaned it up with some 600 grit.

As soon as I get time I will throw it back together, then my neighbor is going to give me a hand taking the top off.

I did get a new toy in the mean time....a John Deere X590 garden tractor! Power/tilt steering, fuel injected, fly-by-wire, digital dash, beer holder, and diff locked...is that crazy or what?

IMG_3498.JPG

Last edited:
If you know a machine shop, you can also have the rear t-case piece (it unbolt from the tcase and holds the oil seal and backing plate) machined to hold 2 oil seals. There are threads about it on 'mud. I did it and it hasn't leaked for 10 years.

Installed the 22re dual stage thermostat in my 1st gen 4runnet and that seems to prevent the truck from overheating on the gauge. Also noticed that the cooling system was low about half a gallon. Thinking a leak somewhere, hopefully not internally...

Nice Austin! I needed those quarter panel hoops this past year. Maybe I'll make a set with the tubing bender. I hope you're planning on being at Coal Miner this year.

Nice Austin! I needed those quarter panel hoops this past year. Maybe I'll make a set with the tubing bender. I hope you're planning on being at Coal Miner this year.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I can only make it on Wednesday because I have family visiting.

Upcoming weekend work (6/25 & 6/26)
Truck - 2006 LX470
Location - 20878

Repack front bearings
Install SS brake lines and flush fluid
Adjust Height Sensors

If anyone is interested in seeing this send me a PM. While I am no expert I have done the bearings before and I know the first time it can be a bit intimidating. As for the brakes this will be my first time flushing them - going to try and get techstream to work for the ABS.

Corrected and beefed up my anti wrap bar.
That was the last thing I needed to finish before Coal Mine.
20160622_203120.jpg
20160622_203142.jpg

20160622_203135.jpg

Thinking of painting My Junk!!
What do you think??
image.jpeg

What, and lose all of the character? Like the color.

What, and lose all of the character? Like the color.

Ya I know; I'm torn!
I really like the orange!
I may do a weather Technique to age it and try to keep the character.

Last edited:
After breaking my winch cable at last year's CMCC I finally wound on the synthetic rope I bought from Southeast Overland at the dinner. I also splurged and ordered a 50 qt Engel cooler for use at Rausch since we're roughing it this year. Found a smokin deal on the Interweb and couldn't resist.

I got my top and ambulance doors back on. Should I put anything on the door hinge pins to make them easier to come out next summer? I did get the replacement brass bushings so I was thinking 3in1 oil. The pins cleaned up real good so maybe nothing?
tmp_17679-IMG_20160907_142557224590104786.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to replace the pilot bearing in the 45. The only good news is that JT Outfitters has the Aisin/Koyo clutch kit for $200.

I got my top and ambulance doors back on. Should I put anything on the door hinge pins to make them easier to come out next summer? I did get the replacement brass bushings so I was thinking 3in1 oil. The pins cleaned up real good so maybe nothing?
View attachment 1318265

Put the pins in upside down, at least the upper ones, so that you don't chip paint on the door frame when pounding pin upwards. And 2x on the anti seize.

10 years worth of sludge and gunk. Truck was garage kept, but I guess way too much water and antifreeze left in the motor after I drained it in 2005. Head is off, cylinder walls look good. The valve train is a sludgy mess. Gonna give it the gasoline clean tomorrow.

View attachment 1261973
3 Months later. Almost ready to set the valves lash and then fire it up.

I have a gallon of acetone in the gas tank trying to clean out the varnish from 10 year old gas. Will try 5 gallons e85 next if that doesn't work.

I also have to find or buy a new rad drain stopcock. Can't find the bastard. I put it "somewhere" 10 years ago.

olJU0i2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom