New tire advice please. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 255/75R17 Duratrac spare will not fit in the stock location (I haven't tried deflating it yet). I have KDSS and the swaybar is in the way.

I would welcome some advice on a tire replacement. I have a 2007 4Runner with 265/65/17 on factory rims. I would like to go a little larger on the tire but need advice from you on the best option. I am not doing hardcore off road...yet. I hike, camp, ski, scuba etc so I love getting off the beaten path in the mountains of east TN and Western NC and I love fire roads and BLM land out west. I was looking at the General Grabber AT2 as an example....can I move up from a 265/65/17 keeping factory rims and stock suspension without scrubbing or affecting speedo etc...this is pretty new to me and would appreciate advice and suggestions...not only on size but on tire and brand as well. Thank you in advance. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

275/70/18
Not stock wheels and stock height but they are general Grabbers and I have really enjoyed them
Very quite on the road and have performed well off road ...
Oh and the red letters are pretty unique and look wicked IMO ...
IMG_20150819_074726.jpg

How do those grabbers do in the rain? To me they always seemed like they would do poorly in rain and any kind of ice.

How do those grabbers do in the rain? To me they always seemed like they would do poorly in rain and any kind of ice.

I live in Louisiana so it rains constantly and iv never had an issue or lost traction and i drive pretty aggressively
But we also drive AWD vehicles with traction control so I think over the gx would perform better than most any vehicle in wet weather

In ice those are terrible!

What's is ice? ... we don't know ice ... accept for every blue moon ... driving on ice is an art

Off topic...sorry, but the ice references reminded me. Hilarious SL skit on Southerners and wintery weather: Watch Weekend Update: Buford Calloway on the Atlanta Snow Storm from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com. Just insert the GX470 for Escalade.
exactly ... if there is enough snow to make a foot print ... SHUT IT DOWN! ... shut the whole State down! ... No School! No Driving!... public service announcements :: PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROADS, STAY IN DOORS, SEEK SHELTER :: .... its redic

Try ATL sometime lol

I would welcome some advice on a tire replacement. I have a 2007 4Runner with 265/65/17 on factory rims. I would like to go a little larger on the tire but need advice from you on the best option. I am not doing hardcore off road...yet. I hike, camp, ski, scuba etc so I love getting off the beaten path in the mountains of east TN and Western NC and I love fire roads and BLM land out west. I was looking at the General Grabber AT2 as an example....can I move up from a 265/65/17 keeping factory rims and stock suspension without scrubbing or affecting speedo etc...this is pretty new to me and would appreciate advice and suggestions...not only on size but on tire and brand as well. Thank you in advance. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.[/QUOT

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your time and information. Now to research :).

its give and take ... you're very limited on how much bigger you can go without lifting ... but if you wanna remain stock suspension a more aggressive tire thats the same size but a bit wider can make all the difference in look stances and performance ... even if you only go an inch taller ... now if you plan on doing a suspension upgrade in the near future and you really dont "need" tires right now ... save your money bc your gonna get bigger tires after suspensions lifts you up anyways ...

its give and take ... you're very limited on how much bigger you can go without lifting ... but if you wanna remain stock suspension a more aggressive tire thats the same size but a bit wider can make all the difference in look stances and performance ... even if you only go an inch taller ... now if you plan on doing a suspension upgrade in the near future and you really dont "need" tires right now ... save your money bc your gonna get bigger tires after suspensions lifts you up anyways ...
Wider will absolutely change the look, but many overland/expedition rigs use skinny tires. I'm not sure there's much of a performance increase just on width (for offroad tires, anyway).

Offroad width will help in certain situations, especially rock (patch size). Mud is the great debate, but depending on depth and weight of vehicle, skinny tires can get to the bottom faster and wider can get you over (floatation).

Personally, I don't want much more than a 12.50. I would love a 10.50 for the balance of on and offroad, but the wheels I have should have a 12.50 due to width.

Thanks everyone for the awesome info and support. I went w the General Grabber AT2 in 265/70/17. Just the least rub at full lock. I can deal. :). Again, thank you all.

285/70R17 Duratracs
886820_10153453990748123_3592887381870456945_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom