New tire advice please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would welcome some advice on a tire replacement. I have a 2007 4Runner with 265/65/17 on factory rims. I would like to go a little larger on the tire but need advice from you on the best option. I am not doing hardcore off road...yet. I hike, camp, ski, scuba etc so I love getting off the beaten path in the mountains of east TN and Western NC and I love fire roads and BLM land out west. I was looking at the General Grabber AT2 as an example....can I move up from a 265/65/17 keeping factory rims and stock suspension without scrubbing or affecting speedo etc...this is pretty new to me and would appreciate advice and suggestions...not only on size but on tire and brand as well. Thank you in advance. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I would welcome some advice on a tire replacement. I have a 2007 4Runner with 265/65/17 on factory rims. I would like to go a little larger on the tire but need advice from you on the best option. I am not doing hardcore off road...yet. I hike, camp, ski, scuba etc so I love getting off the beaten path in the mountains of east TN and Western NC and I love fire roads and BLM land out west. I was looking at the General Grabber AT2 as an example....can I move up from a 265/65/17 keeping factory rims and stock suspension without scrubbing or affecting speedo etc...this is pretty new to me and would appreciate advice and suggestions...not only on size but on tire and brand as well. Thank you in advance. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

You should be able to go to 265/70/17 with little to no rubbing. You may rub at full lock steering or when backing up. All minor.

BFG A/T KO2 is sort of the all-terrain tire "pinnacle" these days. Not only are they, arguably, the best looking all-terrain, they have on-road manners with off-road performance. In fact, BFG gives them the same off-road traction rating as the more aggressive KM2. Also., my experience has been that they'll stay round until they're smooth

Most of us want to get bigger tires because they look neat. I do too.

But unless you've found a need for a bigger tire because the car is sinking in sand, not clearing obstacles or bogging in mud, the stock size tire really is the "best" size as far as gearing, braking and acceleration are concerned. (And speedometer accuracy).

A lot of the big tire excitement that almost every 4WD enthusiast falls for is simply ego. Big tires look cool.

If you do get larger tires, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that, make darn sure they won't rub under any circumstances... unless you like hearing THAT.

The term "fits" is a loosely used term, its like say "that taste good", its all subjective. I ran a 285 70 17 with no lift just fine. Yes it would rub on the front of the fender liner when backing up. But its not hurting anything and a little heat from a heat gun and 10min of my time solved that issue. It is possible that it could be mitigated by alignment settings as well. I didnt notice a change in power or mileage or acceleration ect, but only because I put the bigger tires on 2 days after buying the truck, but I'm sure it affected all of those. I'd recommend going with a 265 70 17 it will be just a tad taller look better but be hardly noticeable, not to mention by going to that size you will really open up the amount of different tires you can choose from. That size is arguably the most widely available size of tire at this time, almost all full-size truck and SUVs have a factory option in that size and tire manufactures are all wanting to get into that action...

Most of us want to get bigger tires because they look neat. I do too.

But unless you've found a need for a bigger tire because the car is sinking in sand, not clearing obstacles or bogging in mud, the stock size tire really is the "best" size as far as gearing, braking and acceleration are concerned. (And speedometer accuracy).

A lot of the big tire excitement that almost every 4WD enthusiast falls for is simply ego. Big tires look cool.

If you do get larger tires, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that, make darn sure they won't rub under any circumstances... unless you like hearing THAT.
Not exactly true, as my 18" FN BFD's and 285/60/18 terra grapplers are actually lighter than the factory wheel and tire combo. ;)

Not anymore...

image.jpeg

Tires are like belly buttons - Everyone has one and a preference based on what theirs is - inny or outty.

With the aforementioned stated, I use and like the Wrangler Duratrac. Fits my needs as a good dual purpose tire, especially for mud and ice. Great siping, they clean out well and are reasonably quiet on the highway - no howling! Have used them on several different vehicles with great results. Does not hurt they are the choice of state patrols(police) on their mountain area rigs for several states in my part of the world. I currently run the 255/75/17 on my GX. No rubbing on stock suspension and rims. The bad news is a 5% error in the speedo.

My .02 worth...

Tires are like belly buttons - Everyone has one and a preference based on what theirs is - inny or outty.

With the aforementioned stated, I use and like the Wrangler Duratrac. Fits my needs as a good dual purpose tire, especially for mud and ice. Great siping, they clean out well and are reasonably quiet on the highway - no howling! Have used them on several different vehicles with great results. Does not hurt they are the choice of state patrols(police) on their mountain area rigs for several states in my part of the world. I currently run the 255/75/17 on my GX. No rubbing on stock suspension and rims. The bad news is a 5% error in the speedo.

My .02 worth...

Can we see a shot of those 255 Duratracs on your stock GX? Thanks man!

Can we see a shot of those 255 Duratracs on your stock GX? Thanks man!
My avatar photo is of the rig with the 255's. Let me know if other photos are desired. Thanks!

@JLee or @mjrsfj40 Were you able to fit the 255/75/17 Duratracs in the spare tire location without airing them down? I almost got those tires but I thought I had read they would not fit in the spare location underneath with the hitch installed.

I don't have Duratracs, but I easily fitted a 255/75R17 Bridgestone Dueler AT (Jeep take-off) in the stock spare tire location, inflated to 36 lbs.

<edit>Oops, no frame-mounted trailer hitch, just the 4Runner hitch mounted to the rear crossmember.</edit>

I have a frame mounted trailer hitch on my gx and have a 275/70R17 fully aired up in the stock spare location, it fits fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom