My first mechanical failure with my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I broke down for the first time in my 40 a couple of weeks ago & now I'm putting it back together. My water pump shaft sheared off and the fan clutch & pulley went flying into the radiator.

1. Here I am broke down for the first time

2. Missing some fan blades & a sheared off shaft

3. Bad decision to attach the tow strap to the bull bar :)
IMAG0156.jpg
IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0165.jpg

The pulley looked ugly with all the rust so I spent all of two minutes cleaning it up a little & then I shot it with satin black paint.
DSC_7075.jpg
DSC_7076.jpg
DSC_7081.jpg

I couldn't seem to locate a new fan for my 1978 with the clutch, so I decided to install an electric fan. I pulled a 16" extreme performance Spal fan out of a wrecked Ferrari race car. Some of the blade guards are broken but the fan still works fine. I patched it with some wire screen & safety wire. It doesn't look so great but it will work for now since I'm on a budget.

We had an extra Spal fan harness laying around but the temp switch was missing. I ordered a new 185 degree temp sensor to replace the missing one.
DSC_7124.jpg
IMAG0233.jpg

New radiator in place. I had to trim the bottom of the radiator support to make the radiator sit down all the way.

I also cut off the bull bar & painted the bumper. I'll have to cut off the lower part of the brackets with the plasma cutter when I get a chance to drive the 40 to my work.
DSC_7110.jpg
DSC_7114.jpg
DSC_7115.jpg

"I pulled a 16" extreme performance Spal fan out of a wrecked Ferrari race car."

If you have access to a Wrecked Ferrari race car that you can yank parts from at will, I want to see a write up on your V-12 conversion for the 40!

"I pulled a 16" extreme performance Spal fan out of a wrecked Ferrari race car."

If you have access to a Wrecked Ferrari race car that you can yank parts from at will, I want to see a write up on your V-12 conversion for the 40!

The Ferrari isn't "wrecked" anymore. The fan was pulled out several months ago.

I do have a 360 bumper in my backyard... lol
IMAG0700.jpg
IMAG1544_800.jpg

Last edited:
So the red ones your daily driver?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom