Builds My First Land Cruiser! Just Discovered this Forum. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! Pretty much the best posts on mud!

The subtank (and console) has definitely been one of, if not, my favorite mod. Cruising range is finally acceptable. I got over 400 miles on a fill up coming back from Cruise Moab this year.

It wasn't a difficult install, but it was tedious with a lot of wiring throughout the truck. I'm just wondering if it's worth all the effort of the install what with you being on an island and all.

I'm working on a subtank install right now also. Putting in the rivet nuts is a pain, I recommend 5/16-18 bolts and matching rivet nuts when you get to that point. I am using 3/8-16 and have to widen the existing holes a little to make them fit.

Looking forward to the increased range!

I'm working on a subtank install right now also. Putting in the rivet nuts is a pain, I recommend 5/16-18 bolts and matching rivet nuts when you get to that point. I am using 3/8-16 and have to widen the existing holes a little to make them fit.

Looking forward to the increased range!

I had a muffler shop tack weld the rivnuts after I installed them. Just an added measure of safety since I had heard about a subtank that broke loose from rivnuts that were not strong enough.

I love my sub tank. If I had a life beyond the mega worn by me path 5 miles to work and back, I might try it out! Seriously, I love my life, but I do NEED to use my sub tank, i.e. vacation (SAS bound in August!).

I think it is super cool that you are sourcing all the oem non-US pieces Jen, and of course, excellent pictures!

You saved it
I’m used to it....I am an honorary life saver assistant with the counties finest!
D2D1BED8-3EE3-4522-96C1-D94DB66ACA10.jpeg

That talk of burger ratings is totally inappropriate to the island tech theme.Who makes the best Loco Moco that goes in an 80 would be more appropriate. I vote for cafe 100 in Hilo, but all the VOG blowing in might spoil the grindz.

http://cafe100.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-Cafe-100-let-eat-flyer-copy.jpg
The best Loco Moco just happens to be made in my kitchen! It goes great with my bacon wrapped turkey.
96453DF6-E41B-4AA1-B836-58A9665EBDA9.jpeg

Definitely saved it. But good golly you were up late! Get some sleep, girl!
It’s Hawaii time, we are 3-5 hours behind you guys on the mainland.
Plus, plenty of time for catching up on some Z’s on the beach in the nice warm sun.
7D5FB791-C7E1-485D-9FD1-9A518F4E0159.jpeg

Wow! Pretty much the best posts on mud! It wasn't a difficult install, but it was tedious with a lot of wiring throughout the truck. I'm just wondering if it's worth all the effort of the install what with you being on an island and all.
Well, the install wouldn’t be for just cruising around the island, it would more be for my future planned trip to drive my 80 from Alaska to Panama.
17A4E7BB-C298-47FD-93A1-B048D0176DA6.png

What brand roof rack are you sporting?
It’s a Prinsu roof rack.
E18B0478-645B-4B59-A71F-1B82D09C3840.jpeg

But word on the street is that @dogfishlake is now making an even nicer one ;).

I can confirm that adding a second tank added a TON of usability to my 80...much more than I even expected. :cool:

So Jen, looking at that map of your trek (which will be incredible by the way), I am thinking if you took that east route but continued around the north side of Lake Superior (very beautiful), down through Sault Ste. Marie into Michigan, I would be all about meeting up with your family and leading you guys through some nice eastern Michigan Upper Peninsula trails, then down across the mighty Mackinac Bridge, then down the beautiful west coast of lower Michigan and off on your way. A big add on I know, but it is great stuff and I guarantee I could get a nice group of mud members to meet along the way. That north end of Superior and the Upper Peninsula part are good sub tank testers!

Something to consider.

Well, the subtank makes a lot of sense then. I would consider one of the larger tanks from Cruiser Brothers for a long trip like that versus the 13ish gallon factory subtank.

Looks like an awesome trip! I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, so a trip in the Land Cruiser back home is always on my mind. I just don't see myself having the time to do it in the foreseeable future.

Well, the subtank makes a lot of sense then. I would consider one of the larger tanks from Cruiser Brothers for a long trip like that versus the 13ish gallon factory subtank.

Looks like an awesome trip! I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, so a trip in the Land Cruiser back home is always on my mind. I just don't see myself having the time to do it in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the mention, @icorradoi

We can put up to 79 gallons of fuel on board with a 37 gallon replacement tank and a 42 gallon auxiliary tank. See price list below for more info and then there's the video.....

Attachments

• LRA Price List ao 5-24-18.pdf
    6.6 MB · Views: 116
No problem, but please don't think I am here to be helpful. Just here for the bikinis and cruisers. :flipoff2:

Thanks, thats quite a decent increase in capacity.

So Jen, looking at that map of your trek (which will be incredible by the way), I am thinking if you took that east route but continued around the north side of Lake Superior (very beautiful), down through Sault Ste. Marie into Michigan, I would be all about meeting up with your family and leading you guys through some nice eastern Michigan Upper Peninsula trails, then down across the mighty Mackinac Bridge, then down the beautiful west coast of lower Michigan and off on your way. A big add on I know, but it is great stuff and I guarantee I could get a nice group of mud members to meet along the way. That north end of Superior and the Upper Peninsula part are good sub tank testers!

Something to consider.

If you make this trip please make SURE TO VISIT Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears Mi. On the Lake Michigan shoreline about 20 miles from Ludington Mi.
Silver Lake has some of the best “sand wheeling” in the country! Long, steep climbs up “test hill” will show you how capable your rig is as far as hill climbing goes....... as well as how much skill/courage the driver has when they mis-judge the climb, and come up short! It’s a LONG WAYS to back down them dunes! Seen many people panic, and try to “turn around” on the face of the dunes, only to end up barrel rolling to the bottom! A Must see and do!

Your route skips over the best part of the country, which is west of the continental divide. True story.
Sweet thread btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom