Builds My First Land Cruiser! Just Discovered this Forum. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
***EDIT 1 year updates can be found on page 9 starting at post #164***

Aloha from Hawaii! Wanted to introduce myself on this forum, just got my first Land Cruiser a few weeks ago and couldn't be more excited. It is a '95 with 214K miles. I am definitely no mechanic, but I am willing to learn and do the work that I can....despite my lack of experience and proper tools.
It is pretty much stock and don't have anything crazy planned (for now), but would like to get some bigger tires (285s), suspension lift (2.5" OME), expedition style roof rack, and change out the brush guard for something bigger/stronger(ARB). I am sure that list will grow as this forum has way to many awesome ideas! Super excited for this new adventure!!
Here are a few photos:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm one happy new owner~
image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction, looks like a pretty clean rig, congrats :)

indeed nice rig....looks vaguely familiar. (nice gold badging).
not sure how much documentation yer cruiser came with but definitely search out "PM" (preventative maintenance).
with the most basic of shop tools - there a ton of write ups and even full length videos for all the issues cruisers see after 20 years of normal wear. plenty of knowledge / "experts" who will be more than happy to "off forum" help out through yer fix.

indeed you found the right car and right place. mud has literally saved me thousands of $$$ from learnings me how to do stuff on my own and not just heading to the stealership.

bf

Welcome! That is a very nice looking rig. A few things:

No one is born a mechanic. And don't let anyone intimidate you out of doing things yourself.

There are very few tools really necessary to maintain a Series 80. Torque wrenches are crucial.

Be sure to read through the FAQ. These guys have done a spectacular job of collecting nearly everything you need to know in one place: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/faq-for-80-lx450-mar-2015-added-battery-information-thread.84888/

Check out this link for a free service manual: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-50-60-and-80-series-fsm-for-a-hell-of-a-price.610994/

I hope you enjoy your rig.

Great looking truck, you have picked the perfect vehicle for living in Hawaii. Might just want to check into some rust prevention.

Like everyone has said, the people here on mud are incredibly helpful and end up more friends and family than just strangers on a truck forum. With that said when I am in Hawaii can I crash on your couch? :grinpimp:

On a side note I kind of feel like this is @Delancy pulling a prank on the 80 series section... :flipoff2:

On a side note I kind of feel like this is @Delancy pulling a prank on the 80 series section... :flipoff2:

Pardon our scepticism, but we don't get a lot of extremely beautiful women on here, and two just showed up (@Sparrow777), so things might seem a little off. Good luck with everything, your cruiser looks great.

Just saying, one does not simply find super hot chicks in the 80's section

But Delancy does have a habit of trying to turn mud members into women. Case in point Beno's contact photo on your phone and I think you tried to convince everyone I was a chick too.

So given the history the second scenario seems more likely. :flipoff2: Lol

To keep this somewhat technical. lol

285's are a great size on the 80. You have quite a few tire choices and a good all terrain makes for a decent highway driver that is capable. I would look at OME medium lift or an OME heavy if you plan on carry extra weight. My first setup was 285's on OME heavies and it was a good setup.

For a moderate all terrain I really liked the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's.

A little more aggressive but that have shown themselves to be quite capable Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's

And if you want a pure mud terrain you can't go wrong with Wrangler M/Ts with Kevlar.

Good luck!

Ain't me, but thanks for the accusation.

Best first post EVER. Thanks for breathing life into the 80 forum, Aloha Jen.

Last edited:
Beautiful

So now that everyone is trying to be nice to the new member, (and otherwise act like a bunch of teenaged hooligans) who just happens to be female, let me be the first one to suggest you ditch the brush guard and the running boards. They are ornamental in nature and will increase damage to your cruiser should you hit something.

To keep this somewhat technical. lol

285's are a great size on the 80. You have quite a few tire choices and a good all terrain makes for a decent highway driver that is capable. I would look at OME medium lift or an OME heavy if you plan on carry extra weight. My first setup was 285's on OME heavies and it was a good setup.

For a moderate all terrain I really liked the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's.

A little more aggressive but that have shown themselves to be quite capable Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's

And if you want a pure mud terrain you can't go wrong with Wrangler M/Ts with Kevlar.

Good luck!

I agree with Ryan, that the tires he has listed are good choices. Depending on your intended terrain, that may dictate your tire preference. I love my Duratracs, but I understand they are not great in the sand. The better tire in the sand would be the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's or even a tire with similar tread to the Michelin LTX tires you currently have. Wider, fat tires work better in sand and when they don't have lugs to dig. If you are looking to go exploring in the mountainous areas, the Duratrac or Wrangler M/T with Kevlar are also good.

You will need an on-board air compressor (Puma and a mount) to air down your tires for either of these excursions and then air back up when it's time to hit the road.

Welcome to 'Mud! Official Mud Salute! :flipoff2:

awesome choice

something about these vehicles makes it seem to me like they'd be awesome rigs to have on an island....

Best first post EVER. Thanks for breathing life into the 80 forum

Welcome aboard. Post a few more pics and you'll have no difficulty getting plenty of help with your truck!

Welcome :flipoff2:

And yup, take off those damage multipliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom