Koso slim water temp gauge install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW... I used a 40mm when I installed my MaxTow water temp gauge..

So we'received a Koso gauge now from Fay Myers Motorcycle World, through Amazon.
These folks were actually kind enough to verify up front that the sender in the pack was indeed 1/8" NPT. Very helpful, and from my perspective worth the extra $7 over the lowest price quoted on Amazon.

Any of you guys doing the Koso gauge install need more sensor wire than it brings .?

I receive mine last week and in a rough measurement looks like it's gonna be little short for my application .. Koso website did not show any sender extension.

The Koso I got only came with 70cm/2 & a bit foot of cable for the sensor...

Any of you guys doing the Koso gauge install need more sensor wire than it brings .?

I receive mine last week and in a rough measurement looks like it's gonna be little short for my application .. Koso website did not show any sender extension.

We had ordered 2 of the gauges (one for coolant temp, the other for transmission temp at a future install). One gauge package came with enough sensor wire to easily reach to the upper radiator hose. The other came without any sensor wire in the package (but with the right sensor). The vendor prompted Koso to drop-ship the sensor cable, and Koso promptly sent the short/70cm(/?) wire... :) :rolleyes:

By the way, power to the gauge is from a (cheap/Chinese...) aftermarket relay that gets triggered by an (apparently) unused wire off the harness in the side panel that happens to be IGN-ON. Power to the relay is fused at the battery at 4 Amps.

P1000935.jpg

I installed one of these in my '85 mini truck. Only problem I have is that's it's leaking around the sender. Did you guys tighten the sender down 'til it was sitting flush w/ the hose adapter? Mine isn't all the way flush but pretty close. I used teflon tape but might have to take it off and put a little more on.

Added more teflon tape and tightened it 'til the sender was flush and no more leak.:bounce: I think the powdercoating on the adapter wasn't allowing me to tighten the sender on all the way. I threaded/unthreaded the sender several times to clean out the powdercoating. Anyway another cheap and easy mod thanks to Mud.:cheers:

Mine came with a short cable. I just extended it using speaker cable soldered & heatshrinked. Then I tested it against my multimeter & thermocouple & found no difference in reading after extending the sensor wire.
Cheers, Mike.

Mine came with a short cable. I just extended it using speaker cable soldered & heatshrinked. Then I tested it against my multimeter & thermocouple & found no difference in reading after extending the sensor wire.
Cheers, Mike.

I just wanna be sure and contact the Koso guys and they tell exactly the same thing .. so I'm gonna buy some wire and extend it ..

Here is a link to the adaptor I bought from eBay. And from the exact vendor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MISHIMOTO-S...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f12cd4657

Both products were as described and work without any issues.

Guys need some real time info...I'm about neck deep into this. I've got sensor that has 8 X 0.75 thread. Where can I find an adapter that is 40mm and has that thread size for the sensor?

Or where can I find a similar adapter that does not have a hole for sensor so I can drill and tap my own?

Guys need some real time info...I'm about neck deep into this. I've got sensor that has 8 X 0.75 thread. Where can I find an adapter that is 40mm and has that thread size for the sensor?

Or where can I find a similar adapter that does not have a hole for sensor so I can drill and tap my own?

I got mine right from Glow Shift. I bought this one:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/40-mm-water-sender-attachment.aspx

They also sell thread adapters...but my Koso went right into that one, zero issues.

I got my adapter on Amazon - most adapters come with NPT thread, not metric

and we found the 40mm adapter too big for the OEM radiator hose and got an 38mm adapter instead

We had ordered 2 of the gauges (one for coolant temp, the other for transmission temp at a future install). One gauge package came with enough sensor wire to easily reach to the upper radiator hose. The other came without any sensor wire in the package (but with the right sensor). The vendor prompted Koso to drop-ship the sensor cable, and Koso promptly sent the short/70cm(/?) wire... :) :rolleyes:

By the way, power to the gauge is from a (cheap/Chinese...) aftermarket relay that gets triggered by an (apparently) unused wire off the harness in the side panel that happens to be IGN-ON. Power to the relay is fused at the battery at 4 Amps.

which side panel is this unused wire in?

im about to order mine, but was wondering, is the blue light bright enough where it bothers your eyes? has anybody had issues with that?

im about to order mine, but was wondering, is the blue light bright enough where it bothers your eyes? has anybody had issues with that?

I have been using the Koso for over a year now and it sits right under the gauge cluster and doesn't bother me with the brightness. I have learned to ignore it unless I see the numbers changing from normal temp after warmup.

I got my adapter on Amazon - most adapters come with NPT thread, not metric

and we found the 40mm adapter too big for the OEM radiator hose and got an 38mm adapter instead

I started with the 38mm adapter and ended up with the 40mm because its a tighter fit. I had some leaking issues with the clamps on the 38mm since the radiator hose fits too loosely on it.

Just my observations

The unused plug was at the driver's side kick panel near the door; can't remember the color of the wire. I made a splice, but should have just put a blade connector into the plug.

Brightness is no issue with the gauge mounted on the console; easily readable during the day, and not too bright at night. But I wouldn't want it in my direct field of view while driving.

I am with timer on this one. The blue digital is bright but does not bother me in the least when driving at night. I have mine on the gauge cluster also right above TJE steering wheel.

The best piece of mind mod out there for a OBD-1

Great!! I'm going to order mine today. Would it be a good idea to add an inline fuse? Or is it not needed?

Great!! I'm going to order mine today. Would it be a good idea to add an inline fuse? Or is it not needed?

I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I haven't read about anyone having any issues without one. I certainly have not. I am not sure if the tap a fuse acts as a fuse for it or not since I am a electrical knowledge midget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom