Koso slim water temp gauge install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just put this in yesterday afternoon. Works great, really like having the exact numbers instead of guessing what my temp is.
IMG_0194.jpg

half k cruiser said:
Just put this in yesterday afternoon. Works great, really like having the exact numbers instead of guessing what my temp is.

Interesting do you have the install pics , or how to steps thanks .just got my 80 3 weeks ago and I'm still on a stage of knowing her.thanks again.

That looks great

Here's what I did on my '91. It's been a great addition.
after market water temp gauge.jpg

Reactions: RFB
Mo' Info! :p

Write up please!

Write up please!

Since you asked nicely

You need the following

1 x Koso slim gauge, comes with sender, extra wire and velcro
1 x Fuse tap ( any auto parts store )
1/8 NPT tap
1/4 - 1/2 t-handle tap wrench ( must be like the one shown if you want to tap it with the pipe still in the vehicle )
Some miscellaneous tools you already have if you are doing this job.

Here's a few of the things you need
Picture 001.jpg

Thank you, kind sir!

More, please!

I tapped into the outlet pipe on the drivers side of the engine. This can be done with the pipe still on as long as you have the tap wrench shown. There is a flat spot on top of this pipe that looks like it was meant to have a sensor, so thats what I used it for. Just center punch it, then use a small bit with some grease on it to catch shavings. Drill your pilot hole, then step it up from there. I believe 5/16 is the proper size in order to fit a 1/8 NPT tap. It actually took longer than I thought to tap this piece of aluminum, I used heavy grease on the tap to catch the shavings, you must back the tap out often and clean it.

A side note, this picture shows after the sensor is installed, you can see that the distributor cap and a few connectors have to be moved out of the way. Make sure to remove the small radiator hose from the top of the outlet pipe.
Picture 002.jpg

I put a bit of blue RTV around the top threads of the sensor and the pipe. Just a little extra insurance against seeping. I then removed the upper radiator hose from the pipe, this allows the water from the head to flush out any metal shavings that may have dropped into the new sensor hole. Button that up, route the wire and send it through this plug on the firewall. I took an exacto knife and cut an X through the middle of it, then inserted the wire into the passenger compartment.
Picture 004.jpg

Last edited:
I had to trim the power wires for the gauge a bit as they were quite long. Fuse tap goes into the 10 amp fuse slot marked gauge, power wire from Koso gets crimped into the fuse tap. I ran the ground wire to a bolt behind the steering column ( sorry no pic, its one of the ones that actually keeps the column up in place ) . I routed the wires out over the column and mounted the gauge right there where I can see it with a quick look. I zip tied the excess wire to a metal bracket behind the lower dash.
Picture 003.jpg

This job took less than two hours, most of which was spent tapping the upper pipe. Looks very clean, and is very functional. I just couldn't stand the factory gauge and not having any idea what the actual temperature numbers were .

Thank you. Another project added to the list.

added to the list also. Thanks

Just an FYI. The Scangauge can show water temp as well. So if you are toying with the idea of getting a scangauge or similar, you may want to hold off on a separate water temp gauge. This saves the trouble of having to tap a new hole, but you don't get the redundancy and have to rely on the OEM water temp sensor. So far, the scangauge temps seem to be pretty accurate (based upon the T-Stat and outside temps). This would only work for 95+ OBDII vehicles though.

^^ What he said. My ultra gauge is working great for monitoring temp.

Obd1 also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom