Builds Just another 79 build..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the A442F a 5 speed , i dont recall? what is the final transmission ratio?.73 with a 1:1 transfercase?

Is the A442F a 5 speed , i dont recall? what is the final transmission ratio?.73 with a 1:1 transfercase?

4 speed fully hydraulic non-electric transmission.

.73 sounds right as I think the manuals are .83.....this should bring down the RPMs compared to my manual truck at highway speeds.

Trying to catch this thread up...way easier to post daily accomplishments.

I decided to strip out the interior. Like the entire interior. I had used Lizard Skin in this truck way back in the olden days.....we used both their sound deadener and their ceramic insulation on this truck. Not to knock on Lizard Skin but it's a whole lotta hype. Sure it deadened some panels and probably reduces heat but it sucks compared to the system and products we use from Second Skin Audio. Somebody a while back had mentioned that Lizard Skin was all marketing.....the dual products and the cost. I said no way. Well I think they were right.

In fact, this truck had such a small amount of sound deadening in it, I had put Dynamat over the Lizard Skin. TOTALLY wrong. First you do the butyl product....then you do the spray in sound deadener. Live and learn.

We're going to do things differently and probably incorrectly on this truck because the Lizard Skin isn't coming out. It will be quiet and cool when we're done. Incorrectness and all.

Easy to strip this truck down.....maybe an hour.
20200728_171750.jpeg

For the record....this piece is my most hated piece on the whole truck. It came out. It went in the trash. Firewall insulation. Crumbling. Annoying.

20200728_172052.jpeg

Way better with it gone.

20200728_172549 2.jpeg

Way different with EVERYTHING gone

20200729_170548.jpeg

20200729_171823.jpeg

A few big issues....number one....the rear wall of the cab was never done with any sound deadener. I was adamant about having paint back there for some reason. I really tried to make this truck as OEM as possible. The bare skin wall along with the rear wall of the bed create a reverberation chamber between them. Horrible for sound, noise, harmonics. We did a lot of work in this area on the #2 build and we will do it on this one. Both in the truck and on the outside the cab. Maybe even do the back outer wall of the bed(only using the roll on/spray on deadener for these sections)

So we cleaned, scuffed and installed our Second Skin Damplifier Pro.....this is the thicker of the Damplifer products. 2mm.....on the back wall. It will be top-coated with Spectrum then covered with trunk/subwoofer material. Just like the #2 truck.

We also did the firewall. It had some bootleg Stinger butyl on it that was hardly fully adhered. Peeled off as if were clay stuck to the Lizard Skin. Again, the butyl sound deadener over the spray in stuff is not the right way to do it. I've been testing the adhesion of the Damplifier on the Lizard Skin and it has been excellent. It will not come off.

Our intern had the not-so-fun-but-better-than-working-on-a-sticky-wiring-harness job of scuffing the sound deadner in the truck. We'll be coating it all with Spectrum. A all-in-one ceramic and sound deadener. Brush, roll, spray, slap it on with your hand...
20200731_144055.jpeg

Dog hair. Everywhere.

20200729_174029.jpeg

My lead tech got back today from vacation.....welcome to this fun. We boxed it all up so it looked nice.

20200803_115755.jpeg

Taylor is one of the better techs I've ever worked with or who has worked for me. Probably the best actually. Watching him work on this stuff is mesmerizing. He was stripping stuff out that we don't need and trying to figure out what the last guy did. Lots of laughs and "what the hell"s. A little tricky because the HDJ81 was RHD....so we have to adjust a few things. Some stuff like the cruise control from the FZJ80 will work with very little modifying. We took a look at the cables today and I think the FZJ80 throttle cable will work for this motor.

Between the 3FE harnesses we do, the one for the #2 truck we just did and this one....he can look at the harness and know what it is. He has built 100s of harnesses for 240SXs over the years.....the guy was a pioneer with those cars and motor swaps. He's a wizard.

20200803_165730.jpeg

The mess I have created in the back of my truck.....I want this stuff out and back in as soon as possible. OCD and this doesn't go well.

20200803_181902.jpeg

We stripped the headliner and overhead console today. Again.....Lizard Skin just not cutting it. We will install Damplifier, maybe put a coat or 2 of Spectrum over it then use a jute material with aluminized foil on both sides. We use spray adhesive to hold that up. There is zero heat that gets into my #2 truck thru the roof. Amazing. All the wires will get secured differently. We added that for the overhead console lights. Ugly.
20200803_093602.jpeg

The sweet clack-clack-clack of the diesel and you won’t even be able to hear it. :)

Well the glass is thin on these trucks I think.....I can hear all the motor noises. It will never be a Lexus :)

Doors stripped down....we had only sprayed them with Lizard Skin. We'll add some more deadener and I am going to try some foam on top of it this time. I have some stick on dynaliner that I need to use and this will be a good application. Foam is good for behind the speakers that are in the doors. We also cut out sheet metal fillers for that big opening in the door. Did this on #2 and it was great. Helps keep out a lot of road noise. Probably good for the speakers too.

20200803_084005.jpeg

Really cool trick if you do your doors, pack some butyl adhesive in between the door skin and the side impact bars. You can use the sound deadener or butyl strip.
20200803_084010.jpeg

Glad you like that Second Skin stuff. That’s what I’m using in my 80 series as well. Just had a big ole box of Damplifier Pro shipped to @SNLC.

Damplifier is one part of the equation....follow it up with Spectrum and then the Luxury Liner Pro....you'll be shocked at how much it changes things.

Spent some time yesterday on the bottom end of the motor. Replaced the piston, installed the new bearings.....
20200803_081626.jpeg
20200803_081531.jpeg
20200803_090024.jpeg
20200803_093133.jpeg

Trying to catch this thread up...way easier to post daily accomplishments.

I decided to strip out the interior. Like the entire interior. I had used Lizard Skin in this truck way back in the olden days.....we used both their sound deadener and their ceramic insulation on this truck. Not to knock on Lizard Skin but it's a whole lotta hype. Sure it deadened some panels and probably reduces heat but it sucks compared to the system and products we use from Second Skin Audio. Somebody a while back had mentioned that Lizard Skin was all marketing.....the dual products and the cost. I said no way. Well I think they were right.

In fact, this truck had such a small amount of sound deadening in it, I had put Dynamat over the Lizard Skin. TOTALLY wrong. First you do the butyl product....then you do the spray in sound deadener. Live and learn.

We're going to do things differently and probably incorrectly on this truck because the Lizard Skin isn't coming out. It will be quiet and cool when we're done. Incorrectness and all.

Easy to strip this truck down.....maybe an hour.
View attachment 2392874

For the record....this piece is my most hated piece on the whole truck. It came out. It went in the trash. Firewall insulation. Crumbling. Annoying.

View attachment 2392875

Way better with it gone.

View attachment 2392876

Way different with EVERYTHING gone

View attachment 2392877
View attachment 2392879

This is good tech... as I've been gathering parts for the eventual strip down of my truck's front console area the firewall insulation has been a quandary. Do I spend the coin on an OEM firewall insulation piece? I did for under the hood. But the existing OEM firewall insulation is clearly just a repository for fesh-fesh. Seeing the state of yours after only a couple years settles it. I'll go Damplifier Pro and Spectrum just like the back of the truck... and like you're doing now.

Seriously, your build threads (and lessons learned) are a treasure trove for those of us currently in the process of overhauling their rigs... thanks for being so generous with your time and photos.

Once the new bearings were in, we measured the piston protrusion per the manual.....front of piston, rear of piston.....average of those numbers. Did that 6 times then figured out which gasket we needed. We needed a 3 per the manual. Ordered from Partsouq....should be on the way today.

20200803_104719.jpeg

Bearings weren't horrible.....nice to know new ones are in the motor. Along with rod bolts. We went with Taiho bearings and OEM bolts.

20200803_111546.jpeg

This is good tech... as I've been gathering parts for the eventual strip down of my truck's front console area the firewall insulation has been a quandary. Do I spend the coin on an OEM firewall insulation piece? I did for under the hood. But the existing OEM firewall insulation is clearly just a repository for fesh-fesh. Seeing the state of yours after only a couple years settles it. I'll go Damplifier Pro and Spectrum just like the back of the truck... and like you're doing now.

Seriously, your build threads (and lessons learned) are a treasure trove for those of us currently in the process of overhauling their rigs... thanks for being so generous with your time and photos.

That firewall liner was SO fragile...even when it was new. My #2 truck had one but it was really nice. Didn't crumble at all. We used it but we Damplified and then Spectrum'd under it.

We'll see how the Heat Wave Pro does....still a little unsure how I will cut it to fit around the various angles of the firewall. It doesn't really have any stretch to it. Pretty sure it may go in in pieces....I will use spray adhesive to get it in there...probably seal the edges with foil tape.

This is what we will use: Heat Wave Pro™ - Jute Thermal Insulation

I'm so glad I got away from the Lizard Skin based on my experience with Second Skin. I have a sneaking suspicion Second Skin is used by a lot of high end builders and manufacturers. Different product though. Lizard Skin worked and it's fine....I just think there is better stuff out there. Our troopy has very very little in that truck but it's quiet and cool. In the doors and back walls along with the roof really quieted it down. Nice too that the 1FZ is very quiet....not a lot of noise coming from it.

Last edited:
Pretty nice to have a reference truck nearby
20200730_174739.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom