Hood Ventilation Idea. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
I've noticed a few write ups about adding vents to the hood for low speed heat dissipation. I remember my FJ62 having a plastic (removable) plate at the top of the firewall just below the factory vents (by the wipers). The 80 doesn't have this plate but there is hollow space right behind the fire wall. If you were to cut out an area similar to the FJ62 opening, I wonder if it would allow much heat to escape out of the factory vents. The passenger side is a little more crowded but I assume something could be done there as well.

Is there too much negative air flow where the hood meets the windshield to make this effective? Thoughts?

null_zps66c3333b.jpg

I guess a small fan could be added also if need be.

Hmm, would that cause you to suck hot, fumey air into the passenger compartment when the flow-through is open?

Thinking the same thing.

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

I know the XJ guys use Chrysler Lebaron hood vents. I ran those on my XJ and they looked factory. Most people assumed the vehicle came that way. I wonder how they would look on an 80? That would be a rather sketchy mod since you wont know how they look until you have hacked huge holes in your hood. Here's some googled pics of what they look like.

vents 1.jpg

vent 2.jpg

vents 3.jpg

Hmm, would that cause you to suck hot, fumey air into the passenger compartment when the flow-through is open?

Me thinks the answer would be yes.

Are they necessary?

Are they necessary?

:rolleyes: Since when did "necessary" have any place on MUD? Thinking like that will be the end of this site. What would happen to all the TLC vendors if we all started only doing "necessary" things.:confused:

:p

Excellent point. I stand corrected. :)

There are two small holes drilled there from the factory, so it's not completely sealed off. Is this for certain where the cabin gets fresh air? Guess you could leave it on recirculate to solve that problem.

Excellent point. I stand corrected. :)

To your original point, some folks think it is important to do anything reasonably possible to help cool the engine. The thought is that the hottest air will rise end exit the engine compartment via the vents. I don't know if it helps or doesn't help. Some threads indicate they have measured lower engine temperatures with them installed. I live in one of the hottest areas in the country. As long as my cooling system is in good shape, I don't have any temperature issues.
I think some look good, not sure I trust myself with a saw enough to justify any potential temp reduction benefits.:meh:

Not on the truck yet as I need to paint it but found a guy in Dallas with a louver press. Only 3" - wanted 4" - but I like the look.

i-73hhCRd-M.jpg

i-wgsSKM3-M.jpg

Not on the truck yet as I need to paint it but found a guy in Dallas with a louver press. Only 3" - wanted 4" - but I like the look.

Nice! Reminds me of back in the days when I had my VW bug.

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

Okay, crazy question time! :idea:

Why not put vents on the fenders? I know, there are a lot of those fake buick "ports" around here... :grinpimp: But, what about functional air exhaust points? Any air shoved in by the fan could find a way out through there, which should allow better airflow, right? Right now, any air that tries to escape through there has to go through the gap between the door and the fender. Why not give it a bigger escape path?

The fenders have cutouts to allow lots of air to flow out, but right now it doesn't have any easy way to go...

Is this a stupid idea, or is it avoided because it has "that look"?

:flipoff2::meh:

I also have a 12 volt air conditioning fan from my old Isuzu diesel van that pushes a lot of air and was wondering about using it to somehow pipe in cool air into the engine compartment on those hot humid days.... The previous owner put a K&N super filter on ... the one with the big aluminum heat shield... so there is the stock opening into the fender well available as a cold air source. Just thinking out loud I guess..:hmm:

All 60 series have a fender vent. It's intention is to draw outside air, thru a fan and directs it to the exhaust and carb riser block. Could always try something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom