Her 74 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gopro is a great video cam, I would like to get one myself. I say go for it!

Well, the rusted out hatch has been fixed with fiberglass and a new hatch handle. During the winter when we work on the hardtop this will have the rust cut out and some welding lessons with my neighbor will commence!

hatch bottom rep.jpg
hatch rfep down.jpg
Props to the huz for the fiberglass work, and painting the hatch..We tightened the tension and the new hatch handle works smooth. Took some weatherstrip from Lowes and replaced the stripping around the hatch..it leaks in thru the corners and this will keep me somewhat dry.

Also got the inverter installed! Used marine grade velcro and ran the cords under the mat from the battery. Glued some foam under it so it could breathe and get good airflow. Because we live at sea level, flooding is quite common - so mounting the inverter permanently could be an issue Where it is seated, its removable. Molded the cables along the hump and tested it with a nightlight...then put my sound cube on it - Beautiful! Tomorrow the sound cube mount goes in.
inverter done.jpg
hatch bottom rep.jpg
inverter done.jpg
hatch rfep down.jpg

watching random 40s on youtube - @ 1:23 on this video, you're looking at EXACTLY the same type of flooding that occurs between our house and the only road to civilzation. Two years ago last fall it rained and we got hit with a late season tropical storm. In the four days we were marooned we found our source of entertainment to be watching the flooded road, as there were SIX idiots dead cars that were left out in this area in the water flooded and dead..including a brand new 2 week old J**p Commander.:D

unless I had knowledge of the local conditions, I would not run into something like that without scouting - just sayin'

yeah, there is a reason Arizona has the "stupid motorist law" :doh:

unless I had knowledge of the local conditions, I would not run into something like that without scouting - just sayin'

yeah, there is a reason Arizona has the "stupid motorist law" :doh:

stupid motorist law?? Do tell!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law

the most publicized case was a lady in a fur coat who had to be rescued from the roof of her Jaguar - Jaguar was pushed by the water against a culvert and a total loss :hillbilly:

can't find it on Google image search (it was in 1993 IIRC), but the first 20 pics when you search tell the story just as well

Here 'she' is - going for her first run in Uwharrie yesterday..we ran some of the medium trails. If I didn't love my 40 before...I respect her so much more. Ive never been so terrified and amazed at just what this 40 can do! Ive got videos too..Ill post more later!
virgin.jpg
virgin.jpg

Request more now! I've got to have something to keep me awake at work at 0200. I'm currently living vicariously through the forum members until I get my own 40. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks...So post an after action report when you can. Thanks and the 40 looks great!

Here 'she' is - going for her first run in Uwharrie yesterday..we ran some of the medium trails. If I didn't love my 40 before...I respect her so much more. Ive never been so terrified and amazed at just what this 40 can do! Ive got videos too..Ill post more later!

The photo looks great. The cruiser stands proud and can hold her own among the pretenders...

Sarca, stick an ARB locker in the front and it will blow your mind what it can do...

Gaz... :D

The photo looks great. The cruiser stands proud and can hold her own among the pretenders...

Sarca, stick an ARB locker in the front and it will blow your mind what it can do...

Gaz... :D

Thanks!
It was amazing to be amongst other Landcruisers..out here in Eastern NC Ive felt a bit alone in my madness..its strangely comforting to hear we all have running lists of 'to-do's' ..I believe I might be putting on a hi-lift jack, power steering and removing both jumpseats to install a more comfortable seat for my 12 year old. (not necessarily in that order) :cheers:

After we got off of the trails and headed back to camp - I took this triumphant video..probably boring to most...but around :54 you'll see the now jaded off roader in the jumpseat..:D

Ha.. Gee, you,re letting the Huz drive it... Spose he's earned it.. How does your daughter like it so far? its important that she does...

I dont mind your choice of music either...

Gaz...

He has most definitely earned every second of driving! I drove the first half, and he kept going on about how proud he was of my first time out. I only stalled her once- (I instinctively did not wrap my thumbs around the steering wheel, he nearly dislocated his thumb) He said he had to take a humvee driving class twice in the navy - and it did not compare to yesterdays trail ride! Of course, he could be predisposed to shining me on..but ILL TAKE IT! LoL

I could not believe how shellshocked I felt afterwards..

My daughter was initially jealous of this rig - and then I remembered my fathers fascination with his ham/mars radios and how I felt as a kid..so I sat down with her and told her she was more than welcome to help us with the truck. I warned her it would be hot, dirty and sweaty work - but it was family time better spent than sitting on the couch. She has taken every opportunity to sand, scrub and is a whiz with organizing my tools without complaint. She brags on the 40 and I believe Ill be letting her drive it behind the house this week..I think she's earned it!

I've never been so terrified and amazed at just what this 40 can do!

point - shoot - enjoy :hillbilly: :steer:

power steering is overrated ;p yeah, gotta keep the fingers outside

if you intend to so some amount of wheeling, I would make a rear locker my priority - just sayin'

glad to hear you are having fun :cheers:

cool. not sure if power steering is overrated, but it is one more thing that could go wrong.

rockin' Clutch - good stuff!

Power steering IS NOT over rated. Start putting anything over the stock tires on a '40 and you WILL notice and increase in bicep circumference. Not to mention the increased threat of a hand smashing snap back when wheeling.
PS is N-I-C-E.

Power steering IS NOT over rated. Start putting anything over the stock tires on a '40 and you WILL notice and increase in bicep circumference. Not to mention the increased threat of a hand smashing snap back when wheeling.
PS is N-I-C-E.

I completely agree...and plan on starting this pretty darn soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom