FJ80 Rear View Mirror Gentex Intall with pics (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 2 mirrors currently. One from a Taco and other from a tundra. One is auto dim with screen for camera, other has homelink, compass and temp. Problem is that the lights are newer amber and I would like them to match the green in my interior. Is this possible?
I may just go with the one with the screen so I can have backup cam and use a single din head unit and slide a single din cb in one slot.

CIPA 36500 Wedge Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass, Temperature and Map Light

I purchased this from Amazon. The lights are worthless. I sourced another rearview from eBay and cut the arm off of it to cover the original mount location. Kept the old one incase I want to go back.

I have had several folks contact me about getting blocks. They are know available from this website:

80 Series Gentex Mirror Block

I tried editing the original post's link but I am not able to edit at this time.

I like the idea of making a roof mount bracket for the mirror so you don't have to mess with the windshield wedge. Could be another project.

Also, FYI, the 4 minute JB weld epoxy has held my windshield wedge on the glass for about a year now. It is stuck on solid.

I have had several folks contact me about getting blocks. They are know available from this website:

80 Series Gentex Mirror Block

I tried editing the original post's link but I am not able to edit at this time.

I like the idea of making a roof mount bracket for the mirror so you don't have to mess with the windshield wedge. Could be another project.

Also, FYI, the 4 minute JB weld epoxy has held my windshield wedge on the glass for about a year now. It is stuck on solid.

I second the JB Weld. I used a Napa brand and 3M mirror adhesives... BOTH FAILED. The JB Weld 5 minute adhesive worked great!

Be great if someone could expand on that mount and fab a mount and drop arm to retain the body mounted mirror rather than deal with the adhesive at all. The body mounted mirror is one thing I love about older Toyotas.

If you want to go that route, I used a mirror from a 99-04 Saab 9-5. It has homelink, compass, autodim, but I do not believe it has outside temp sensors. The holes *almost* match up, the self tapping screws that are in the Saab mirror went right into the 80 tab without issue (atleast 1 made their own hole). Rock solid.

I for the life of me cannot figure out what to tap into for power in the headliner. Did I miss were the OP said that? There is a constant 12V and what I assume are some capacitors for the sun roof. I ended up unplugging mine since it would cause parasitic drain of my battery after a few days. A side note that a Land Rover Discovery II mirror makes a really clean install too; though I really like the outside temp sensor feature this setup has.

Why not make a block that accepts the Gentex mirror directly ? @tucken72 This will avoid having to glue the mounting plate to the glass (I put it in the wrong place the first time, and it has fallen once)

I would love to have mine solidly mounted in the same place the OEM was. I feel that it is just a matter of time that the plate comes unglued again .

If you were able to make this one, I am thinking that you could make the mount and have the mounting plate shape formed in the plastic. Then it is just a matter of making it so that it looks pretty :)

Why not make a block that accepts the Gentex mirror directly ? @tucken72 This will avoid having to glue the mounting plate to the glass (I put it in the wrong place the first time, and it has fallen once)

I would love to have mine solidly mounted in the same place the OEM was. I feel that it is just a matter of time that the plate comes unglued again .

If you were able to make this one, I am thinking that you could make the mount and have the mounting plate shape formed in the plastic. Then it is just a matter of making it so that it looks pretty :)

If the gentex mirror was to be mounted to the ceiling, will that allow the driver to use the mirror in the proper angle? I don't suppose Gentex makes mirror for ceiling mount, otherwise, it'd be just too easy!

They don't make a ceiling mount or I'd have done this a long time ago.

Yup. Ugh. I guess this means making a new mount :hmm:

Or figure out how to use the OEM mount. After I posted my question I went and look, and the Gentex arm will be too short to get it in the right place if mounted in the ceiling.

However, the OEM arm uses a ball, and so does the Gentex. Perhaps with the right ball /socket addaprter it could work. Something like a 90 degree elbow

No pressure. :popcorn:

I came across another thread that had a Jeep Cherokee double-articulated ball mirror mount screwed to the OEM body spot with a HAM radio remote head. Trying to get details about that arm but here's a pic.

May be a viable option to get the GemTech body mounted while keeping @NLXTACY from getting distracted finishing my D-Pillar mount. :rolleyes:

Droopy sun visor fix with Chrysler New Yorker visor

image-png.1340780

Reactions: KTP
Just so everyone knows, this Cherokee double jointed arm thing was also a windshield mounted rear view mirror. I simply drilled two holes into the windshield mount and then mounted the whole shebang to the 80.

Found my installation writeup: Yaesu - FT-8800 remote head install....with a twist

@tucken72
In your OP you mentioned only 4 of the 7 pins are used. What are the unused 3 for?
Is it possible that one is for a headlight/dashlight input?
The reason I ask is that my Gen TEK 313 mirror will dim but then lighten up again shortly after once I pull away from lighted traffic following me.

@tucken72
Ok cool. My plug is different but I hope the wire pin out is the same. Where did you get this wire diagram?
So if I'm reading this correctly, the back up lamp feed (pin 3) brightens the mirror up for reversing for increased visibility while pins 4 & 5 provide a loop for an outside light sensor input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom