Droopy sun visor fix with Chrysler New Yorker visor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The purpose of this thread is to provide a step by step direction on replacing the droopy sun visor with visors from a 1994 Chrysler NY. The whole process is a :banana: and took half hour per side. The color match was pretty dang close so I got lucky there. The NY visor is a double visor with slide out plastic shade thing. This is not technically a PnP but it's pretty dang close.

This visor can be installed two ways, use the factory screw holes or make two new screw holes. If you use the factory holes then the installation is kind of oem-ish and that's the route I took. BUT, you have to modify the NY plastic mounting bracket as shown in the pics below. If you decide to drill two new holes, then you'll get to retain the use of the second visor as intended. However, the installation won't look quite factory because the mount will sit on top of the headliner and not INSIDE the headliner depression where the OEM mount resides.

Observations:
- the NY visor is narrower than the OEM unit but you can extend the plastic shade thing so it more than makes up for it.
- if you want to retain the makeup mirror light, you'll need to cut off the OEM connector and replace it with NY connector.
-the mount where the visor hooks on to is a tad too tall, so I shaved this flat. The pic will make sense.
-the screw holes on the NY visor mounts need to be wallowed out a tad for the OEM screws to fit through.
-the NY visor uses torx screws so plan accordingly. I didn't have torx drivers but the flat head screwdriver deal on my Leatherman multi tool was enough to remove these screws.
-if you don't want the second visor option, then you can use the OEM hook deal. This is the mount that's closest to the rear view mirror on both sides.
-the second visor in my installation is missing the mounting on one side but it might work just fine. If I were to be more motivated, I'd have come up with a simple way to support the unsupported end of the NY visor. Maybe I'll use a copper pipe and zip tie it to the headliner using two zip ties.

Visor mounted using the factory screw holes but the mount is not going to work!

driver visor installed wont work.jpg

Mount cut off

driver visor mount chopped.jpg

Mount won't work using the factory screw holes.
driver visor mount intact.jpg

Chrysler NY double visor

driver visor on floor.jpg

Chrysler NY visor

driver visor on floow 2.jpg

Last edited:
More pics

Driver side visor installed

driver visor open.jpg

driver visor screws.jpg

Left side mounted unmodified but mounted using factory screw holes. Right side hook mount is OEM. If you don't want the second visor option then OEM hook may work.

driver visor with factory hook.jpg

Driver side mounted. Notice the left side of the second visor is floating.

drivor second visor.jpg

The hook mount getting shaved.
slice off mount 3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, detailed write up! Thank you. What years NYer visors work like this? Would be nice to find the light grey ones.

Driver side visor installed.

driver visor closed.jpg

Driver side visor over the window and shield extended.

driver visor extended.jpg

Driver side visor with the mount intact, before the chop.
driver visor installed wont work.jpg

Wallowing out the screw holes
drill out hole.jpg

OEM connector removed and NY connector installed. Not sure why the pic sideways though!

connector.jpg

Last edited:
The NY visor WILL contact your headliner so you'll need to force it down a little bit before swinging it to the window.

driver visor contact headliner.jpg

Visor extended plastic thing covering up the space between the visor and the rear view mirror.

driver visor extended closed position.jpg

Passenger side visor installed and wired.

passenger open with light.jpg

Nice, detailed write up! Thank you. What years NYer visors work like this? Would be nice to find the light grey ones.

This was a '94 model NY.

I know we weren't being invited to snoop around, but what is all of this?

image.png

I think these are the same ones I used. Didn't bother with the second visor or really messing with the mount, but I probably should have. I just spliced in the lights and screwed them in the factory position. Worked great! I may go back and mess with it a little more if I decide to put a different mirror in.

I know we weren't being invited to snoop around, but what is all of this?

View attachment 1340780

That'd be the remote head for the Yaesu FT-8800 HAM radio. It's using the rear view mirror double jointed articulating arm and it came from a jeep Cherokee.

I want to know where the secret stash of 1994 Chrysler New Yorkers is......

Hmm, maybe I ought to exploit this and go raid all of the local junk yard New Yorkers!!!

I want to know where the secret stash of 1994 Chrysler New Yorkers is......

I suspect, like most Chrysler products of that era, they are piled all over in every auto recycler across the US. :D

I did this Chrysler New Yorker mod a year ago, best interior mod I've made and that's saying something given all the stuff I've incorporated!

That'd be the remote head for the Yaesu FT-8800 HAM radio. It's using the rear view mirror double jointed articulating arm and it came from a jeep Cherokee.

Does that mirror mount still accommodate a mirror? I'm working off another thread to body mount an aftermarket GemTech mirror.

I did this Chrysler New Yorker mod a year ago, best interior mod I've made and that's saying something given all the stuff I've incorporated!

Does that mirror mount still accommodate a mirror? I'm working off another thread to body mount an aftermarket GemTech mirror.

Hmm, that's a good question. I don't see why it wouldn't since I broke the Cherokee mirror into pieces and separated the glass from the plastic piece that's behind the glass. I'm using this plastic piece behind the glass to mount my remote Ham radio head on it. I think I may have a spare cherokee mirror joint thing in the drawer if we need to look into this further.

I suspect, like most Chrysler products of that era, they are piled all over in every auto recycler across the US. :D

What annoys me is why do these domestics have functioning sun visors and both of my Toyotas and one Subaru experience droopy visors?

I know right?

What annoys me is why do these domestics have functioning sun visors and both of my Toyotas and one Subaru experience droopy visors?

Probably because they were sent to the junk yard when they were only 8-10 years old, my Toyota has been on the road for 21 years. My visors are still fine.:meh:
This does look like a good source for those in need.:beer:

Found a pair of these for $20. They were pretty much plug & play. Great mod. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom