91 FJ80 Starter Install with Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been dreading the day that I commit to replacing my starter and cables. I bought the cable kit from @Fourrunner back in January because I have that intermittent non start issue. I also decided to get a remanufactured Toyota starter from the dealership. Yesterday was the day and though it took a long time it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I also took the time to replace vacuum hoses and address some wiring issues. Below is are some pics of the job if it might help anyone in the future.

1. Disconnected battery. Removed air filter and air intake tube.
2. Removed dried, cracked plastic wiring conduit. My A/C wire was hanging by a single strand of copper wire so had to fix that. I also rewrapped other wires.
IMG_0073.jpeg

3. Might as well replace the fuel filter which allows me to get the gas line out of the way for the starter removal.
4. By this time I could actually see the top bolt and removing it was quite simple. Lower bolt was easy from underneath but a very tight area. I pulled the starter out from the top. It was tight but it came out.
IMG_0074.jpeg

5. Installed the new cable kit and tossed the old stuff. Great kit @Fourrunner! I still am not sure where the firewall to block cable goes though? Anyone?
6. New starter went in easy. Buttoned everything up, crossed my fingers and it started right up.
IMG_0076.jpeg

Here is a picture of my new starter and install pic... My intermittent no start woes is actually my factory NSS harness connection, and not the starter itself.
20230712_102005.jpg
20230715_094823.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom