Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man that really sucks! Hope it all works out. If you have time can you post pictures showing the differences? I know the new one removes the twist lock setup, just can't visualize how. If you don't have time totally understand.
Will do. Looking forward to seeing the difference myself.

That's why I used a dodge setup. The dodge compressor fits fine with the frame. Enough clearance

That's why I used a dodge setup. The dodge compressor fits fine with the frame. Enough clearance

Would that be the case with the 6BT or just the 4Bt like you have?

Update:
Today was just a good old fashion kick in the nuts.
-Housing won't get here till tomorrow. It didn't make the 2:30pm deadline for overnight yesterday.
-I thought I pulled the wire out of the AC cut off sensor yesterday while pulling housing which would not have been a big deal. Well it ended up being the temp sensor for the dash gauge. Since the wire tore right off at the plug it became useless. I ended up splicing in a small female spade connector and management to connect it to the sensor. It works again.
-While I had the drive belt off I checked all the pulleys. Yesterday I replaced tensioner pulley thinking that was squeaking. Well today I noticed my fan clutch pulley didn't spin like I would think it would. Ordered one of those from Oriellys. That should be here 8am tomorrow morning.
-Also noticed some steam coming from radiator on driver side after I drove it a bit to get it up to temp. Hopefully it's residual coolant from yesterday's drain which we let run down that side of from the top hose.
-Also have some sort of knock sound. To me it sounds like an injector knock yet you can only hear it while in the cab. Local Moab Cummins mechanic said it sounded fine when idling and revving which stumped him what it could be. Sent some crappy video with sound to @GLTHFJ60. He pretty much agreed with Cummins guy here that if you can't hear it in the engine bay it can wait. From what I have read up on it I agree. It will wait til back home.

Hopefully tomorrow brings good things because today was one of those days you wish to be back home. Maybe the goal now is to get the truck back to par and head home, which the wife wants me to do. I still wish to salvage some wheeling and exploring on this trip so dammit I'm not giving up just yet. I don't want any regrets.

@The Phoenician here's your photo. It can only get better than this view. :)
image.jpg

@NLXTACY your lighter worked great to melt shrink tubing on my broken wire fix. :cheers:
image.jpeg

Is no news good news?
Not exactly. Part still hasn't showed up. UPS doesn't really have a excuse why it didn't show up today. I did ride shotgun today with the group so that was good to get out on the trail.

Just an FYI, I was told by both UPS and FEDEX that they could not do overnight delivery to Moab. You could pay for it, but it would not be guaranteed. It even came up on their computer that it would be the ridiculous cost of overnight, but wouldn't arrive any earlier than two day.

Not exactly. Part still hasn't showed up. UPS doesn't really have a excuse why it didn't show up today. I did ride shotgun today with the group so that was good to get out on the trail.
That sucks! I have overnight shipped to remote areas before and had them show up 5 days later..... Sucks. Would have hoped overnight parts to Moab would have been just that.

Glad you got out a bit atleast. Hope the part shows for your trip back. That's a long haul with a leaking cooling system.

Yeah, if the girl at the counter didn't spin the computer around and show me the estimated delivery dates for the different shipping methods, I was going to ship overnight. But since it was no different that either 2 day or 3 day I did one of them. But she easily could have just taken my money and thrown the box in the back of the store.

That sucks! I have overnight shipped to remote areas before and had them show up 5 days later..... Sucks. Would have hoped overnight parts to Moab would have been just that.

Glad you got out a bit atleast. Hope the part shows for your trip back. That's a long haul with a leaking cooling system.

Yeah, if the girl at the counter didn't spin the computer around and show me the estimated delivery dates for the different shipping methods, I was going to ship overnight. But since it was no different that either 2 day or 3 day I did one of them. But she easily could have just taken my money and thrown the box in the back of the store.
Yep you got to watch that. I had 2 boxes for work I needed overnight to continue work the next day. This was a community in the south east of British Columbia. They guaranteed delivery the next day. Showed up 5 days later and I had a company paid vacation waiting for it to show.

Funny it was Purolator too.

Package is "out for delivery" today. While I am waiting I swapped out the fan clutch pulley bracket. Not hard at all. The bearing had a bit of play.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1449167640.282862.jpg

I could have replaced just the bearing but it was cheaper to get the whole thing rather than just the bearing which was over $300.

Everything seems good now. No leaks with the new housing. It's a much better design than what I had. Instead of the flawed twist lock it uses bolts that hold it tight to the adapter.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Old design. Notice the gap between adapter and housing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The problems just keep rolling in on this trip. Everything was going good when I left for home this morning. I decided to drive down to valley of the gods and monument valley area for some scenic views. After finishing valley of the gods road I noticed my voltage gauge was pegged at 18V. Pulled over and noticed the ground wire coming from my voltage regulator had broken off the alternator. Both batteries were toast. PS was boiled over leaking water. DS was only puffy. Only option I had was to disconnect alternator and limp into Farmington, still a good hour away, to find a parts store. Surprising my solar kept my toasted batteries at 12.9V the whole way.
After fixing ground wire, buying two new batteries and replacing voltage regulator I was ready to roll except my low beams didn't work. I had them on when I had the voltage spike so I'm sure I fried something. High beams still work and fuses are good. I also have the airbag light on the dash lit up. I was able to use my fog lights with my hazards to limp into Bloomfield to a hotel. Now to read up on the electrical repair manual.
Tomorrow I will run as far as I can during daylight and might use my fogs to get me home if I'm close. No time to figure anymore problems on the road.
A few photos before ball kicker came calling again.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have had that happen before. I'll bet the bulbs are blown. Mine where.
I checked one and it looked good but I will move a high beam over to make sure.

On the bright side, nothing has stopped you yet. Once you get back home you will start to reminisce about your travels and troubles. It looks like you also got to spend some tone wrenching with the Turk...bonus!

On the bright side, nothing has stopped you yet. Once you get back home you will start to reminisce about your travels and troubles. It looks like you also got to spend some tone wrenching with the Turk...bonus!

Oh I had no real part in it beyond being there for assistance if needed. And lending tools.

I have no knowledge of 6BT's nor do I propound to do so. I was there as the support guy: You know: "hey, screw this, let's go to the Moab Brewery and scam on some Mormon chickies."....

Or, "hey lets go eat some bacon and drink beer and see if any hotties are around".....

All of this of course in jest and more in line with commiseration.

Cimarron had a rough week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom