80 Series 6bt swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all I have a 6bt from an old backup fire pump that has an alternator with a 14.1v regulator. The stock alternator as far as I understand is set to 14.4v. Im hoping to chop up the old harnesses and still use all the factory wiring for accessories and sensors. Will a lower regulator voltage cause issues or will it be fine since it's only slightly lower. Thanks.

As far as the voltage diff is concerned, there will be no issue.
Not sure why you couldn't put a Toyota alt in place of the one on the 6bt, but it wouldn't be an issue either way with the average battery in play.
Which is to say anything but lithium.
Recommend a BCDC or similar, something containing a lithium charge profile, if you go that route.

Oh and, also maybe some sort of fire jacket in the case of using a lithium unit.
They aren't exactly known for stability, safety, or otherwise 'install and forget' reliability.

Good, That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info I have very limited electrical knowledge. I may try to get the factory alternator to work but I would need to figure out a new pulley and mounting bracket.

If it's a purist thing, yeah that's what it will take.
But in terms of functionality - dependant upon the make/durability of the alt - think you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom