Cruisers and Company 80 Series Turbo (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh ok understood. Towing a fj40.
It would be possible to tow a 40 with the added power of the turbo but I think you'd be pushing the limits of the 80. From the factory a stock 80 is rated to tow ~5000lbs. I would guess most 40's are in the 4-5k lb range depending on how it's built/load out so you'd be pushing the weight limit once you have the trailer hooked up too. 80 brakes aren't the best to start with either so hopefully your 80 has a brake controller and the trailer has good brakes.
You'd probably want some airbags in the rear springs to keep the 80 level and your engine/transmission cooling systems to be in great shape.

In a pinch and there were no other options I'd tow my 40 with my 80 over I70 but it would be slow going, fuel mileage would be non existent and I don't think it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. It would 100% do it but overall my personal take is the 80 is not a good towing platform especially if your 80 is built out with lift/armor oversized tires etc.

My F-350 Superduty and my 80 series both have the same 12 valve Cummins engines.

My Superduty regularly sits around 30k lbs gross.

I would feel uncomfortable towing more than 5k lbs with an 80. It just isn't designed for it.

It would be possible to tow a 40 with the added power of the turbo but I think you'd be pushing the limits of the 80. From the factory a stock 80 is rated to tow ~5000lbs. I would guess most 40's are in the 4-5k lb range depending on how it's built/load out so you'd be pushing the weight limit once you have the trailer hooked up too. 80 brakes aren't the best to start with either so hopefully your 80 has a brake controller and the trailer has good brakes.
You'd probably want some airbags in the rear springs to keep the 80 level and your engine/transmission cooling systems to be in great shape.

In a pinch and there were no other options I'd tow my 40 with my 80 over I70 but it would be slow going, fuel mileage would be non existent and I don't think it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. It would 100% do it but overall my personal take is the 80 is not a good towing platform especially if your 80 is built out with lift/armor oversized tires etc.
I was just seeing if you had towed with the turbo at all-not necessarily a fj40-and wondering how it did. As far as towing my fj40, it's one of many things people may tow behind a 80. My question was more just generic as far as how the 1fz handles towing with a turbo whether it be a fj40, a camper, or a load from the hardware store on a flat bed trailer etc.

I was just seeing if you had towed with the turbo at all-not necessarily a fj40-and wondering how it did. As far as towing my fj40, it's one of many things people may tow behind a 80. My question was more just generic as far as how the 1fz handles towing with a turbo whether it be a fj40, a camper, or a load from the hardware store on a flat bed trailer etc.
I haven't had the opportunity too. I have no doubt that it would tow way better than a factory 80.

Nice looking kit! No intercooler needed for .5 bar of boost...just enough punch for that extra power band. Intercooler on this would be more effort than it's worth in my opinion and past experience with other boosted vehicles. Would be a perfect candidate for Meth injection for those that want a little more boost or security of running too hot on the charge or lean on the AFR's.

I had a Callaway turbo Rabbit GTI on meth that ran 1 bar all day with Meth on a stock bottom end, kept it nice and cool with decent AFR's on the CIS mechanical injection.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a '94 on OBD1, so this won't be going on mine... :confused:
I have meth injection on my supercharged 80, makes a nice difference, that and large hood vents really helped power wise

Out here at Cruise Moab having a blast! For anyone that is attending we have big news...

15% off turbo kits for those attending vendor night! Come find us, say hello and check out our turbo kit!
Dang it...I was just there at Moab. I'm back home in Albuquerque so not going to make it back in time, Does it count we have been emailing back and forth already...lol.

A turbo FZ with a properly sized turbo is very nice to tow with, nice torque delivery. The only observation (I've never had an auto Turbo 1FZ) is that 1st gear in the H151 would be nicer shorter towing heavy with the gearing disadvantage of 35s, but I assume the auto, especially if regeared, would not have this issue.

Forget about fuel economy though, but massive drivability difference over an N/A 1FZ.

While your having fun with the new found power of turbo, I’m curious about na 1Fz vs turbo 1Fz mpg?

I don’t worry about mpg’s😬, I’m just curious .

Out here at Cruise Moab having a blast! For anyone that is attending we have big news...

15% off turbo kits for those attending vendor night! Come find us, say hello and check out our turbo kit!
Damn I would drive down there just to get the discount.

I'm loving what I see so far; especially still being able to run a second battery under-hood. Looking through the photos on Cruisers and Co.'s turbo page, I can't spot the washer fluid bottle. Would a relocate kit such as Slee's or Delta's still work with the turbo positioning?

I'm loving what I see so far; especially still being able to run a second battery under-hood. Looking through the photos on Cruisers and Co.'s turbo page, I can't spot the washer fluid bottle. Would a relocate kit such as Slee's or Delta's still work with the turbo positioning?
Turbo works with a relocation kit for the factory reservoir bottle. My factory unit was there for quite awhile, it just never made it back in before the trip we took a bunch of photos... I'll snag some tomorrow!

I got to meet Johnny and the crew, what a great group of guys.
We ran Kane Creek together. It was a great day of Wheeling .
Got a chance to see Rosie and their turbo set up at night vendor night super clean set up.
Hopefully, they’ll make a kit for us guys with the OBD1 rigs.

Last edited:
I got to meet Johnny and the crew, what a great group of guys.
We ran Kane Creek together. It was a great day of Wheeling .
Got a chance to see Ruby and their turbo set up at night vendor night super clean set up.
Hopefully, they’ll make a kit for us guys with the OBD1 rigs.
Richard thanks for joining us on Kane Creek. What a blast!

And to everyone that came by on vendor night thanks for stopping by and checking out Rosie and our setup. The support was unreal and we had a great time as a first time vendor and will be pushing hard for those 93/4's!

PXL_20240418_232826143.jpg

I was in the next booth over. 👌🏻😀
It was great meeting you!

So after having a ton of people reach out through social media/emails asking if they could get in on the sale after seeing our 15% percent off for those that made it to Vendor Night at Cruise Moab.....

We have decided that starting today and going through next Wednesday May 1st that we should offer 10% off as a post Cruise Moab sale/spring sale. Promo Code is Moab10.

Also for those that like to finance things we've added Affirm as a payment option or if you like to spread out purchases there is an option for PayPal/Pay Later and it looks like Affirm is doing 0% over 6 months with equal payments for qualified buyers.

Dang it...I was just there at Moab. I'm back home in Albuquerque so not going to make it back in time, Does it count we have been emailing back and forth already...lol.
Bummer we missed you in Moab but maybe the above will help!

Here it is with something I whipped up for my reservoir bottle. The Slee relocation should fit and it looks like the delta would fit even better.
PXL_20240424_212045527.jpg
PXL_20240424_212100306.jpg

While your having fun with the new found power of turbo, I’m curious about na 1Fz vs turbo 1Fz mpg?

I don’t worry about mpg’s😬, I’m just curious .
Just depends on how you drive it. I can say in hill country (think like middle of nowhere wyoming on I80) if I can set the cruise on 70 mph I can get slightly better mpg than before but if I am driving with a lead foot it definitely isn't better. Realistically I haven't noticed a huge change while daily driving.

Also a friends new to him taco clutch grenaded while on the way to Cruise Moab. The taco got a spot on the trailer and since Rosie is so fresh I elected to hand the keys to my 80 to him and I drove my 40 back. Someone with almost no 80 series experience and little turbo experience hopped in and sent it over I70 back to Denver with no issues. Quick lesson on what the gauges meant and off he went, just asked him to keep it under 75 haha. Vail there was traffic but the at the Eisenhower he let it eat a bit and was surprised how well it did coming out of Dillon. He has ridden in the control truck from Dillon to Denver once before and commented on how he felt like it worked itself so much less and gaining/maintaining speed was so much easier.

In the 40 it was a different story... sloooowwww but very pretty drive. Half doors and now rear hatch made it a bit chilly. Topped out at 32 mph at the Eisenhower. Not bad for being 46 Years old!

PXL_20240421_192037580.MP.jpg

So after having a ton of people reach out through social media/emails asking if they could get in on the sale after seeing our 15% percent off for those that made it to Vendor Night at Cruise Moab.....

We have decided that starting today and going through next Wednesday May 1st that we should offer 10% off as a post Cruise Moab sale/spring sale. Promo Code is Moab10.

Also for those that like to finance things we've added Affirm as a payment option or if you like to spread out purchases there is an option for PayPal/Pay Later and it looks like Affirm is doing 0% over 6 months with equal payments for qualified buyers.

Bummer we missed you in Moab but maybe the above will help!

Here it is with something I whipped up for my reservoir bottle. The Slee relocation should fit and it looks like the delta would fit even better.
View attachment 3615752View attachment 3615753

Just depends on how you drive it. I can say in hill country (think like middle of nowhere wyoming on I80) if I can set the cruise on 70 mph I can get slightly better mpg than before but if I am driving with a lead foot it definitely isn't better. Realistically I haven't noticed a huge change while daily driving.

Also a friends new to him taco clutch grenaded while on the way to Cruise Moab. The taco got a spot on the trailer and since Rosie is so fresh I elected to hand the keys to my 80 to him and I drove my 40 back. Someone with almost no 80 series experience and little turbo experience hopped in and sent it over I70 back to Denver with no issues. Quick lesson on what the gauges meant and off he went, just asked him to keep it under 75 haha. Vail there was traffic but the at the Eisenhower he let it eat a bit and was surprised how well it did coming out of Dillon. He has ridden in the control truck from Dillon to Denver once before and commented on how he felt like it worked itself so much less and gaining/maintaining speed was so much easier.

In the 40 it was a different story... sloooowwww but very pretty drive. Half doors and now rear hatch made it a bit chilly. Topped out at 32 mph at the Eisenhower. Not bad for being 46 Years old!

View attachment 3615766

Followed a 40 back to Denver and was doing 43-45 through there. Has a 2F with fuel issues and a new header.

Well I just ordered a Turbo kit and this time it was actually in stock! Looking forward to having it installed on my 80!!
Yesssss more turbo'd 80's!!! Thanks for the order, it will ship soon! Are you installing it or having someone install it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom