2F Vs 3B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am planning on buying an Fj40 or Bj42 but i would like to hear opinions about people who had both or could try both and say which one they thought was the best and why.
I am interested in knowing if there is a big difference in power, noise, acceleration, fuel consumption and reliability.

Thanks for the help

To expand things a bit.
There is not a huge difference in power, but a 2f powered 40 can cruise at 60-65 mph all day (with stock gears) where as a 3B can only do that if there are no headwinds or hills.
Noise is similar, with the 2f being quieter if it has a good exhaust system.
The 2f has better acceleration, although neither have good acceleration.
The 3b wins hands down in fuel consumption. On highways it is probably 50% better and off road it might be 100% better.
Reliability wise the 3b is probably capable of higher mileage, but the maintenance of a diesel is always more than a gasser.
I have only owned 2f vehicles but have wheeled with many 3bs for many years.

As others have said, not much realistic difference between a 2F and 3B for everything except fuel economy. To me, the condition of everything else is much more important (i.e. rust, drivetrain, etc). However, it is fairly easy to add a turbo to a 3B. When I turbo'd mine, I did it for less than $700 US with a used turbo from a Mercedes OM617. It makes the 3B much more fun to drive in modern traffic. There's lots of info in the diesel section here on Mud about turbo conversions for the 3B.

:cheers:

yes, no, yes, yes, no
Yes, yes, yes, yes, no

A stock 3B is much louder than a stock 2F with OEM exhaust. It's not even close. The gas engines don't make half of the engine noise that the old diesels do.

The 3B also barely has enough HP to travel on the expressway at normal speeds (OK, we drive fast in New England) unless you're on the flats. The 3B has twice the fuel economy, Is bulletproof, and is torquey little SOB. Plus diesel cruisers are just plain cool.

Owned a few of both and I'm going lean towards the diesels moving forward. Had a turbo 3b which traveled from Georgia to Colorado with zero issues. Another bj42 I sold came from Vancouver is now in NJ. Hard to beat the reliability. Throw a turbo on the 3b and you will never go back. Add a 5 speed and you won't want anything else. Insane mileage for a cruiser and a cool factor you can't get anywhere else.

I just took possession of my new BJ project which has the 3b gonna add a turbo to go with its 5 speed.

Thanks for all the replies.
You are the oracle of cruiser knowledge. I am learning a lot in this forum. :bounce:

I bought a 40 with an F. When it died 4 years later, I put in a SBC. To do it over I'd buy a 3B and turbo it when I got tired of being passed by grannies on their scooters.

Hell in a 3 way shootout of 2F- B/H diesel- SBC V8/6 I would probably chose a Diesel over anything if they cost the same and were all in the same condition. Biggest problem I can see is that the parts are probably a bit harder to come by in a short amount of time due to scarcity, above the level that the F engines have.

I bought and drove my BJ42 from Greenbeast and drove it cross country sight unseen...very reliable and incredible fuel economy. Lots of torque makes driving around town almost spirited. On the highway it likes to cruise comfortable at 55, but can be pushed to 65 if you want. I am sure that when I put the H55F in and slap a turbo on, it will be even better.

I have always been a diesel guy, and the toyota diesels are just special...get the 3B

Last edited:
How does adding a turbo affect the fuel consumption of the 3B engine?

How does adding a turbo affect the fuel consumption of the 3B engine?

When I turbo'd mine, I went from around 20 MPG US to 18 MPG US city driving. That is a combination of turning up the fuel to take advantage of the turbo, and a heavy right foot. I turned my fuel up about as far as I dared with the turbo I had. I could burn up the engine if I kept my foot in it going up hills. I had to watch EGT's to keep it in the safe zone. Mileage was a little better on the highway when I kept my speed in check. If you don't turn the fuel up as much, you won't see as big of a difference in mileage.

My little B got 19mpg on my first tank after purchase. 55 is my cruising speed in the right lane watching everyone turn their head to look. Couldn't be happier :)

In General a Turbo can improve fuel economy. The decrease tends to be when people use the extra power they have. Keep your foot out of it and it'll do slightly better... use a heavy foot, and the economy goes down (as with all fuel burners).

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone advice if I can put a H55 5 speed with a 2b diesel? If so, what is required?

Just throwing in my two cents. Never had a gasser but love my 3B with the H55 5 speed. I don't have that many expressway miles yet so we shall see whether or not to add a turbo. The thousand or so local miles around town and on two lane highways demonstrate that it's got enough torque and gear spread to make it an effective driver.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone advice if I can put a H55 5 speed with a 2b diesel? If so, what is required?

The h55f just needs a B-series fine spline input shaft for the 2B.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom