2F Rebuild - First Timer (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks great and it should run great too inshallah.

I was in your neighborhood, but I didn't have time to stop by. I got to go out to Bahrah on my last day before I got on the airplane back to LA. It was a lot of fun. Check out my thread in chit chat.

Noted thanks.

Will look into the acid.
As for the wire your correct the amount of ****e that came out was plenty.
I would strongly suggest you DO NOT use an acid clean on the block. If using something like Muriatic -(or Nitric)Acid to do the cleaning, it will clean most of the crud out of the minute pits you may have in the cooling passes, the bad deal is it will create MORE pits in the metal-it's the nature of the acid--.. Down the road, you will have more "pits" that are available to foster more corrosion.
If you do use this cleaning method, you absolutely need to "passivate" the metal you just cleaned with some sort of oxidizer that will convert the bare metal to a non-reactive state--Molybdate compounds come to mind as the first additive to do this.
Acid cleaning without passivating is a death spiral-the more you clean, the less metal you have to clean--

Ok a lot has happened.

Nearly there.

Waiting on two push rods that I need to match the other 10. For some reason I got 2 that have shallow buckets at the top. So once they arrive i will close her up and fill her with oil.

View attachment 1061374View attachment 1061375View attachment 1061377View attachment 1061378View attachment 1061380View attachment 1061381View attachment 1061383View attachment 1061384

That's it for now
Where in the world did you get those headers???

It looks great and it should run great too inshallah.

I was in your neighborhood, but I didn't have time to stop by. I got to go out to Bahrah on my last day before I got on the airplane back to LA. It was a lot of fun. Check out my thread in chit chat.

Thanks. Oh man I missed you.

Next time inshallah. Will check it out

I keep looking at this thread and your pics... I really love the color selection you made. I really want my 2F to look this sexy.

Once I'm done I'll do a nice photoshoot just for you.

A bit off track but I'm so excited have to share.

Went to the junk yard yesterday to get some bolts and some other small bits and this rolled in.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429445659.284811.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429445676.203807.jpg

So i had to get her. Well just the body. A FJ 45 troopy soft top from the factory.

Had to use my FJ 45 tub trailer frame to bring her home.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429445752.838280.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429445771.656807.jpg

And she's finally home.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429445785.108046.jpg

A nice project for the future.

Why not buy the whole thing and restore it? Why just the body? Do you already have a frame?

Was not for sale as its title has been changed to a parts truck. Plus there is a new law out her that is making it harder to convince them to part with the frame.

Will go back for the frame to use it for a trailer as my first project of the FJ 45 trailer in on hold now. So will get them to cut it for me. The only way to take it.

Got the flywheel and clutch plate and a bunch of small parts cleaned with a vinegar bath to finish off the build

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430030101.026806.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430030044.426421.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430030057.610594.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430030074.483164.jpg

Will keep the images coming

I've watched your vinegar bath stuff on Instagram as well... what kind of vinegar is this? Just white vinegar from the grocery store? No pitting to the original steel?

Cool. Yah regular grocery store stuff. White vinegar with an acidity of 5% or more.

Well it depends on how rusted the part is.

If it's just surface rust it works very well as long as you don't leave it too long. Take it out and give it a rub if the rust comes off then it's done. It's like cooking.

The very first batch was a test and I left them in too long. Would not do it on sensitive parts. And i don't recommend it for anything but steel. Other metals seem to dissolve on the rag when being rubbed.

So to answer you pitting question yes if it already has deep rust pits then it will not fix that but will not pit further.

It just melts rust and dulls metal. I've also noticed it removed chromed surfaces, nickelled , zinc plated surfaces and dulls metal.

I have left my first batch out the test bath since then out in the elements and they have not started to rust again. All I did was to spray and rub them with Wd 40 twice and that it.

I have done a number of bolts. My question would be does it weaken steel in anyway ? That my only concern.

The process that I have found to work.

Wash off any dirt and grease or oils.
Degrease
Put into vinegar bath
Rub rust and black film off while in the bath
Wash with water after removal
Rub dry with clean cloth.
Spray oil on to metal and rub in.
Wipe clean after a few hours and your done.

Great job Mc Ladin!;)
..and this vinegar story seems amazing(old wisdom)!
Thank you and greetings from Germany!

Mits
--------
1984 BJ42, 5spd

Last edited:
Ok a little update. Ordered a engine crane and another engine stand which are on the way and should be here any moment.

Can't wait to finish this build.

Yay it's here.

Work will proceed tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430671979.480207.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom