2010 McGrew Trail Ride (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question: Into the count down and prep on the rig and wanted to know just how clean does the under belly need to be? Like break out a few cans of paint and the pressure washer clean? I have some rust that could be mistaken for foreign matter... I also have a "small" oil leak... Will this be an issue come inspection time?

-Matt

I would say presure wash clean, you don't need to paint but it needs to be mud,dust free. He really checks the fender wells, bumpers. I have not seen him actually crawl under a rig but he might if he sees something. As far as the oil leak, don't we all have those. I would imagine if it was a serious puddle leak he would say something.

Josh

Ross Woody got sent back last year for having some gunk above skidplate on his very clean FJ.

The places they really look the hardest for dirt are the inner recesses of the fender and body rolled lips, the ledges that occur over tiallights (like on a 40), and tops of frame rails. The big concern is a clod (even small) of dirt that might be perched someplace on the rig that gets jarred loose and falls on the trail. That clod can contain spores and seeds of bad things for the area. They don't even like to see a lot of debris on the floorboards that can get kicked out by your shoes. A quick vacum and a pressure wash that pays attention to ledges will usually take care of it. Like Josh says, if you're not leaving puddles while parked for 20 min, your small leaks are fine.

Worste case scenario is if they find something that you missed, it will only take you 30 min max to get somewhere to clean that part and get back to the trailhead (this is provided you took the time initially to do your best).

Weather forecast is looking good so far: 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 42.02°N and Longitude 123.96°W (Elev. 1197 ft)

, it will only take you 30 min max to get somewhere to clean that part and get back to the trailhead

Pighead's portable pressure wash...runs on water and compressed air.
002.jpg

The ranger originally told me to use a toilet brush. That's what I use. Works too.
:cool:

Tech/Dirt inspection

got out the pressure washer today, and knocked out everything I could; still a bit of dust and I'll bet in the 100 plus miles to O'Brian Friday I'll accumulate more- is there a hose down area at the tech inspection or close?

also, is there a list of minimum equipment required, if any? I'll be bringing a decent set of hand tools and some consumables along with recovery gear and a couple extinguishers; beyond that what am I missing?

(EDIT here it is, thanks Gabe.)http://tlca.org/tlca/bylaws-sop's.shtml#sop

getting pretty excited for the trip, see you guys soon!:bounce::steer:

Last edited:
also, is there a list of minimum equipment required, if any? I'll be bringing a decent set of hand tools and some consumables along with recovery gear and a couple extinguishers; beyond that what am I missing?

(EDIT here it is, thanks Gabe.)TLCA: Bylaws & SOP's

TLCA's list is pretty comprehensive. For example, if you're a buggy that's trailered to the run you don't really need turn signals. Other stuff though (such as brake lights) are rather important. (More for the guy behind you than for yourself.)

If you have a question about the TLCA SOP, give me a call, PM, or e-mail and we can discuss in more detail.

Ross Woody got sent back last year for having some gunk above skidplate on his very clean FJ.

Yup -- he found some brush remnants from Moab wedged between the skid plate and the support, above the skid. He also found dirt.

They love to reach up in the fender wells. And inside the frame. Might as well wash it at home, rather than deal with it there.

I remember one guy who was "busted" last year that had live weeds growing in the mud clod.

You might want to think twice about running this trail. Trucks have been known to get some brush scratches. Are you sure you are up to the challenge?
Cruiser's on the trailer... Just need to finish packing and adjust my tie-downs a bit.

P7130133.jpg

Hehe, I hope you're planning on wheeling the pickup, because the 80 is a bit overkill.... Looking forward to seeing you again! :cheers:

Cruiser's on the trailer... Just need to finish packing and adjust my tie-downs a bit.

P7130133.jpg

Free or $5

I have a pair of used in fair shape Toyota running boards from my 93.
Not going to put them on Ernest so thought I'd offer them up to Mcgrew-ers since I can transport them(hopefully on the roof rack) to the staging area Fri nite.
Some surface rust on the bottoms, one of the pads is detatched on the front 2'(softball holding it up for visual).
Does come with the cutout mock mudflaps thingys for the fronts.
071810_12351.sized.jpg

Couple more pix HERE

If interested, let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks,
:cool:

Trucks have been known to get some brush scratches.

Don't most 80s guys carry hedge trimmers and clear the trail of any dangerous brush before they get close to it? ...Or is that the 100s?

Don't most 80s guys carry hedge trimmers and clear the trail of any dangerous brush before they get close to it? ...Or is that the 100s?

I would say the 100's, but a lot of them only web wheel. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom