1970 FJ40 windshield to hood latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, here is my setup. One problem though, the passenger windshield wiper hits the hood. It looks like you'd need to spacer up windshield about 1/2" to comportably clear. Also, I'd place the pads, fold down the windshield, then double check that the latches will extend the correct amount, then adjust their mounting position accordingly. My pads are mounted 9 3/4" to center from the centerline of the hood, and the tape measure began at the rear edge of the hood. I have no idea if any of this stuff is in the factory correct position.
B.

Thanks for following up with pics and info.

Ok, here is my setup. One problem though, the passenger windshield wiper hits the hood. It looks like you'd need to spacer up windshield about 1/2" to comportably clear. Also, I'd place the pads, fold down the windshield, then double check that the latches will extend the correct amount, then adjust their mounting position accordingly. My pads are mounted 9 3/4" to center from the centerline of the hood, and the tape measure began at the rear edge of the hood. I have no idea if any of this stuff is in the factory correct position.
B.

It looks like you're using the later years ('75 and up) windshield rests with top-mounted wipers. If you used the rubber ('74 and down) rests, you should have enough clearance.

Ok, now I'm confused. I just took a long look at mine and it seems to me that the windshield rest mounted with the tall part to the front of the vehicle would follow the contour of the windshield frame, supporting the thick part of the frame on the lower portion of the pad and the top lip of the windshield on the tall part of the pad.

If the pad had the tall part closest to the windshield, only that tall part would provide any support and nothing would rest on the lower part of the pad.

I'm talking the pre '75 kind.

Shouldn't it rest on the window frame, not the actual windshield? If so, that makes sense that the tall portion of the rubber would cup the frame.

They say a picture is worth a thousands words. So here is a few thousand words worth. This is on my 2/73 soft top that still has original paint. For the taller part of the rubber pad to work correctly it would had be be moved closer to the cowl. I don't see any reason for Toyota to have done that since with in two years the whole design was going to change.

I personally like the 68 style better. It was taller but not just on one end. The whole pad was taller.
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

Thanks for the clarification on the direction guys :cheers:
Claudia is right as usual ;)

:flipoff2:

actually, I have to thank the POs for leaving stuff intact :hillbilly:

They say a picture is worth a thousands words. So here is a few thousand words worth. This is on my 2/73 soft top that still has original paint. For the taller part of the rubber pad to work correctly it would had be be moved closer to the cowl. I don't see any reason for Toyota to have done that since with in two years the whole design was going to change.

I personally like the 68 style better. It was taller but not just on one end. The whole pad was taller.

So, those pads should be flipped around so they cradle the frame of the windshield, right?:meh:

Can someone give me the measurement from the hood bumper to the mounting holes for the hold down?

Center of forwardmost bolt of rubber bumper to the center of one of the two bolts that hold the latch: Also center of hole to center of hole dimension?

I have a 68' with a split hood and those holes were "lost" during the rebuild and now I need to drill them back.

Thanks,

Position of windshield hood hooks

Sorry for hijacking this thread…I recently purchased an 84’ FJ40 LX. I know I’m blessed (apparently they didn’t make it to the US). However, there are no windshield hood hooks or even pre-drilled holes on my bonnet. Does anyone know the exact measurements for the “hook” positioning on the bonnet? I want to fit a set, since I like the look of them and will one day remove the hardtop.

Thanks..

O
bonnet31.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom