1978 FJ55 BATPIG (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was looking over the pictures. What brand of sound deading is that or what do y’all recommend?

Congrats…glad that rig is part of the MUD sty. I’m with @bobm…..JUST DRIVE IT!!!!

We’re not used to seeing “modern” wheels on these classic rigs, but I have to admit I like them better every time I see a picture of that truck.

Congrats…glad that rig is part of the MUD sty. I’m with @bobm…..JUST DRIVE IT!!!!

We’re not used to seeing “modern” wheels on these classic rigs, but I have to admit I like them better every time I see a picture of that truck.
I want to hate the wheels and the push bumper, but they’re growing on me.

giphy.gif

So rough plan:
  • baseline. fluids/brakes/...
  • wheels/tires: I have a set of BFG KM3 255/85r16 tires mounted on the grey City Racer wheels. With stock hubcaps, this will be close enough to a stock look, and take a little bit of the rubber overdrive back.
    • The existing wheels will go to Pua'a with some 37s, and a 1hd-ft / 5-speed, since I have a "mostly stock" pig now, and the 4.4L 2F went in a 40 for the 2F header project.
  • refurb and powder coat the bumpers, grille, headlight surrounds and front fender vents to a stock-looking pewter
    • undecided on the pushguard
  • fix the exhaust where it passes under the shock to be outside the shock
  • retrofit Holley Retrobright or H4 conversion headlights.
  • fix the tailgate key switch
  • flip the PS rear marker
  • actual Toyota radio surround. Breaks up the black a bit.
  • find/fit correct choke knob
  • replace the windshield washer hose, and probably the blades
  • source and fit a jack (did FJ55s come with a toolkit like a 40? If so, where should one be located?)
Basically a bunch of easy / little stuff, and one big one

The truck appears to have a Downey/Mark's 2F header on it, but without the provision for an EGR. There appear to be a few pieces missing / disconnected as well. I'd like to refurbish this. I believe I have a Mark's/Downey header with the EGR provision in Austin, and maybe @S14B23Racer can put his hands on it. If not, I can modify one of the stainless headers.

The goal here is two-fold:
  1. be able to register the truck in Colorado.
  2. take the initial steps to have a 2F header in stainless that has CARB E.O. "exception" and is therefore legal in California and Colorado. The former owner of Downey has offered to transfer it to me. (Y'all know I'm one of the crew trying to recreate the Downey/Mark's 2F header, right?)
Problem: I have no idea what might be missing, or where to source same, so this is going to be a bit of a challenge. (and no, I don't know what that fabricated bracket holds.)

1704950384499.png

1704950423002.png

1704950461040.png

1704950486681.png

1704950576238.png

Congrats again Jim, that thing is solid! The front fenders don’t even have a bubble of rust.
Thanks!

It should be a perfect rig to just let be while actually driving it and doing all the normal maintenance you’ll encounter keeping a 45 year old vehicle on the road..
yep. It's a grocery getter.

of course, there are challenges everywhere, right? The concrete floor in my shop turned out to be only 3.5" thick (that's less than code for a residential floor.)
  • lift removed
  • 4' x 14' section cut out
  • dug down to min 12" - 13" depth, tamped dirt
  • added 2 rows of 1/2" rebar on 12" centers, tied the top row into the existing slab
  • poured new base for the lift with 4500 psi concrete and a 2% hardener so I don't have to wait 30 days to put the lift back on top of it.
Now I wait.

1704952985007.jpeg

1704953092573.jpeg

of course, there are challenges everywhere, right?
Yes, and it takes a load of faith and perseverance to knock out every obstacle encountered on the road to the destination.
I guess that’s why they say it’s the journey that matters most.

A lift will be really nice!

of course, there are challenges everywhere, right? The concrete floor in my shop turned out to be only 3.5" thick (that's less than code for a residential floor.)
  • lift removed
  • 4' x 14' section cut out
  • dug down to min 12" - 13" depth, tamped dirt
  • added 2 rows of 1/2" rebar on 12" centers, tied the top row into the existing slab
  • poured new base for the lift with 4500 psi concrete and a 2% hardener so I don't have to wait 30 days to put the lift back on top of it
Kudos to you for doing it the right way. I know others who don't do their due diligence, not worth the risk.

That's a respectable list; not too long but enough to keep you busy. Nice thing is there isn't anything that requires a lot of downtime so you can keep driving it at will.

It was so nice to find 6"+ of concrete in my shop. Whoever did yours used 2x4 batter boards and stopped there.....shame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom